The 10 Most Glamorous Blondes Of All Time
The Art Of Glamor And Finesse
Blondes conjure up many images. Those images range from innocent girl next door, sexy bombshell, ice princess, to femme fatale. The blonde cannot be put into one category. There are myriad types of blondes as there are people.
The blonde represents an idealized fantasy in the male mind. She is a rarity among genotypes as most of the world are either brownettes and/or brunettes. She furthermore represents wholesomeness and purity in addition to an exalted and untouchable beauty. Here is my synopsis on the 10 most beautiful blondes of all time in descending order.
(10) Jean Harlow(March 3, 1911-June 7, 1937)- this Midwestern woman was the first blonde bombshell. This platinum haired beauty was the forerunner of Marilyn Monroe and later sex kittens. She starred in movies which include Hell Angels(1930), The Public Enemy(1931) with James Cagney, Red Dust (1932) with Clark Gable, Dinner At Eight (1933) with John Barrymore, China Seas (1935) and her last film was Saratoga(1937). She died an untimely death at 26 years of age as a result of renal failure.
(9) Lana Turner(February 8,1921-June 29, 1995)-this blonde beauty was one of the classiest and glamorous star in Hollywood's heyday. She was once know as the sweater girl but she soon outgrew that image. She began acting in bit roles as a teenager. However, she progressed to star in films such as Johnny Eager, Honky Tonk and Ziegfield Girl(1941), The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946), The Bad And The Beautiful(1952), and Peyton Place (1957) for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress. In 1982, she came out of semiretirement to be a recurring guest star in the television series Falcon Crest. She ultimately died of throat cancer in 1995.
(8) Veronica Lake(November 14, 1922-July 7, 1973)- this stunner was known for her peekaboo hairstyle. This femme fatale starred in sultry role in several film noir genres in the 1940s, particular with Alan Ladd. However, her career went downhill as a result of substance abuse problems. She did star in a film in the 1950s. For the most part, she guest starred in numerous television series. In 1966, she starred in a low budget monster flick, Foosteps. This was her last movie before her death at 50 years of age from a combination of hepatitis and severe renal failure.
(7) Marilyn Monroe(June 1, 1926- August 5, 1962)-if one person epitomizes the glamorous blonde, she does. She possess charisma in droves. She has been rated one of the most glamorous and sexiest women of all time. She began her career as a model. She graduated to minor parts in movies such as The Asphalt June and All About Eve(1950). In 1952, she had her first leading role in Don't Bother To Knock. She had a majoring leading role in the movie Niagara in 1953.
Subsequent movies included Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and How To Marry A Millionaire(1953) and The Seven Year Itch(1955). She even formed a production company, Marilyn Monroe Productions, who released the movie Prince And The Showgirl(1957) for which she won a David di Donatello Award. She received a Golden Globe Award for Some Like It HOt (1959). Her last film before her death at 36 years of age was the Misfits(1961) with Clark Gable and Montgomery Clift.
(6) Kim Novak (February 13, 1933- )- this woman has an understated glamor. She starred in many films including Picnic with William Holden and The Man With The Golden Arm with Frank Sinatra(1955), Middle Of The Night(1959) and The Notorious Landlady (1962). She also produced as well as starred in Boys Night Out (1962). In later years, she acted sporadically and subsequently retired and is living in Oregon with her husband.
(5) Faye Dunaway(January 14, 1941- )- this phenomenal actress possess classic and understated glamor. She was a former beauty queen and a Fulbright scholar. Her movies had the reputation of being highly successful blockbusters. Such movies included Hurry Sundown and Bonnie & Clyde(1967), The Thomas Crown Affiar (1968), The Arrangement (1969), Little Big Man (1970), Chinatown(1974), Network (1976) for which she won an Academy Award for Best Actress, Eyes Of Laura Mars (1978) and Don Juan De Marco (1995). She did subsequent movies such as Midnight Bayou (2009) and A Family Thanksgiving(2010). She received other numerous awards and nominations for her vast body of work.
(4) Charlotte Rampling(February 5, 1946- )-this English actress and ex-model possess a minimalist glamor chic. Her career spanned 4 decades, performing in movies, films, and television. Her films include Georgy Girl(1966), The Damned (1969), Vanishing Point (1971), Henry VIII & His Six Wives (1972), The Night Porter (1974), Farewell My Lovely(1975) and Aberdeen (2000). She was nominated for numerous European awards for Best Actress in a film.
(3) Kim Basinger (December 8, 1953- )- this Georgian stunner has an oomph persona. She was a model for years before she embarked on acting. In the early 1970s, she was known as The Breck Girl. She began her acting career in the medium of television. She did several television movies and miniseries before graduating to a movie career. Her breakout role was in Never Say Never Again(1983) with Sean Connery.
Other movies she acted in included The Natural(1984) with Robert Redford which she was nominated for a Golden Globe Award. She starred in the lead role of Nadine(also in 1984) with Jeff Bridges. She subsequently starred in the blockbuster Batman(1989). She scaled down her work; however, she revived her career by starring in L.A. Confidential(1997) which she received an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. She was in subsequent movies such as 8 Mile (2002) and Charile St. Cloud (2010).
(2) Sharon Stone(March 10, 1958- )-this woman know how to exude old style Hollywood glamor. She is an actress, producer, former fashion model and beauty queen. She had bit parts and worked in several B movies before graduating to feature movies such as Total Recall (1990) with Arnold Schwarzenegger. She then starred in Basic Instinct(1992) and Casino (1995) for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress in a motion picture drama. Her other films included Quick And The Dead(1996). She did an HBO film, If Walls Could Talk(2000), Cold Creek (2003), and Catwoman(2004).
(1) Uma Thurman(April 29, 1970- )-this actress is the true personification of cool, Nordic glamor. Her mother was an ex-model of Dutch,German and Swedish descent. This stunner was a model at 15 years of age. She even graced the cover of British Vogue magazine. She made her movie debut at 18 years of age. She had bit parts in movies such as Johnny Be Good, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and Dangerous Liaisons (1988).
Her first starring roles were in the following two movies, Mad Dog And Glory(1993) and Even Cowgirls Get The Blues (1994). Both movies were box office failures. Her career improved. She starred in such movies as Pulp Fiction (1994) where she had an unrecognizable part as a gangster lord' s wife in a brunette wig. Other movies she starred in were Beautiful Girls, The Truth About Cats And Dogs(1996), and Gattaca (1997).
In 2002, she acted in and produced the television movie, Hysterical Blindless, which garnered her a Golden Globe Award. Her subsequent films included Kill Bill, Parts 1 &2 (2003,2004), Be Cool, and Prime(2005). She has 3 movies scheduled to be released this year.
The concept of glamor means different things to different people. Glamor can means dressed to the nines for one woman while it means understated simplicity to another. The same thing with blondes. Blondes are not monolithic and each blonde is different and unique in her persona. Now you have my take on who are the 9 most glamorous blondes of all time.
© 2013 Grace Marguerite Williams
More by this Author
These dark skinned Black beauties refuse to let the fair skinned societal beauty standards detract from their innate beauty, talent, and self-worth as Black women. They exemplify Blackness as beauty.
The concept of being old is such a negative societal one where the emphasis is on youth. These celebrities defy the antiquated paradigm of what old is. They are more vital and beautiful than ever.
Overprotective parents believe that they are preparing their children to be successful in life. How WRONG they are! In fact, with their excessive mollycoddling and pampering, they are preparing their children for one...