The 13 scariest movies ever!
Who is waiting for you to visit!
Monsters make a house call!
A deleted scene from the 1931 version.
Honorable mentions and what qualified.
Movie goers love to be frightened, and all of these made many of us jump! Whether on Earth or in outer space, the movies that made it here made us shrink or scream.
These are not necessarily the best horror movies, but the scariest. This list is more about the chills you get and not what's in the bargain bin at second hand stores!
First, the honorable mentions.
I hated to leave off movies like an -American Werewolf in London- As an enormous and fierce beast rips through England, a young American has a terrifying experience filled with nightmares. Ghost Story(1979), Final Destination,Texas Chainsaw...,Jaws, Dawn of the Dead, and a few others were very hard to leave off. But that's how lists of the best of all times are! The Terminator also came close. Very little is scarier than an unstoppable force on a mission.
October is here and Halloween is near!
13. Sleepaway Camp 1982- We have a tie! Though she was 12 when they shot this, Felissa Rose was excellent in this. Please go to my list: The 13 best Slashers of all time for the full write up and psych profile.
13. The Blair Witch Project- This was terrifying, especially for those who saw it before the news broke out that this was not a project, but a staged and rehearsed movie. It was still frightening and made me jump several times, and when it was over, I locked the doors. Though the ending wasn't necessarily a surprise or shocking, it was absolutely horrifying! This has one of the creepiest endings ever.
Don't go camping on the 13th!
When the titans collide, find a place to hide!
The Disturbing Dozen!
12. The Thing- (1982) Kurt Russell, Keith David, Wilfred Brimley and the rest were excellent as they are attacked by a strange alien force. This was creepy and unpredictable. Some of the scenes broke new ground and were terrifying. I could have lived without the prequel...and just about everything starring Joel Edgerton. However this 80's classic will never be out done by c.g.i.! The Thing from Another World 1951, was great but not nearly as scary.
11. The Omen!- The acting in the original was just as awesome as the suspense and terror! The little boy seemed so innocent and gentle, when in reality he was.... well you know!
10. Candyman- The part that Tony Todd was born for! The sequel was terrible but everything about the first one, was terrifying! This one was deeper than most slashers and you really have to pay attention to the unfolding plot and build up to the finale. The ghoul in this one wasn't just relentless, he was clever and always one step ahead! I loved this one!
9. Halloween- Michael Meyers is born to be bad. Many of the sequels were flops, but Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Pleasence, made us believe in this awful nightmare with the terrifying music.
8. The Exorcist- The Evil One destroys beauty everywhere It goes! Linda Blair was too beautiful to play this role, but she was still outstanding, and ... possessing! (bad joke)
7. The Ring- The lonely Samara was an unloved girl who was murdered by her own family. Nope, she has not forgotten! This is the newest movie on my list.
6. Frankenstein- When Boris Karloff brought this freak of nature to life, the creep ran wild and terrorized a countryside. It was one of the scariest and most suspenseful scenes ever, when the monster first came out of the lab, and turned around.
5. Alien- A terrifying force waits for a mining crew in the far reaches of outer space. They first see it when it explodes from a crew member's abdomen! This scared all watchers, as no movie like this had ever been released before 1979. F.Y.I., sadly, Promethius stunk!
4. The Shining- Here's Johnny! Jack Nicholson was terrifying in this one. When he passes away, he will be remembered for this role and The Joker more than the rest.
3. Friday the 13th- A terrorizing murderer had a face that only a mother could love. Before Jason changed American movie theaters like no other killer, his mother changed camping forever! Like mother, like son. A young Kevin Bacon bought it in this one before anyone even knew who he was.
What was so creepy wasn't the murder scenes, it was when Jason's spirit possessed her. That is when she had this creepy, terrifying voice, and look on her face. This was horror at a much different level!
2. A Nightmare on Elm Street- Freddie was a disgusting, evil murderer and that was before he was burned to death and became the demon of nightmares on your street!
Have a cup of tea or perhaps, a nice, hot shower!
And now for number one!
Two legends team up in this psychological masterpiece!
1. Psycho- Speaking of some one who had "mommy issues" Norman wants you to meet his.This movie was a double edged sword with a double sided killer waiting for all of us to check in to the Bates Motel.Hollywood would never be the same after Alfred Hitchcock put his stamp on it!
What is the scariest movie? If you say other, please post it in the comment section.See results without voting
Other scary lists!
- What is your favorite Universal Monster, Monster Movie and Actor?
Learn more about the classic horror from universal, or vote for your favorite!
- A brief history of American Horror Cinema.
For over 100 years, Creeps and freak have owned the silver screen. Do you know who the first one was?
More by this Author
These are the 15 that you want to keep playing over and over!
Here is my list. It will be different than any other. I am not influenced by anyone or anything, other than my love of writing.
One of the best parts of Christmas is the carols! But who thought some would be so funny?