Cartoon: the Cross Section of Social Conscience
Cartoons and Constructive Crticism
A cartoon is a comical illustration in print or animated films. Many cartoon characters are out there which can be given the status of a celebrity. Tom and Jerry has got billions of admirers all over the world. Not just kids, but even grownups are hard core fans of the cartoon characters tom and jerry. There are other celebrated cartoon characters too: Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, Mougli, Dennis the Menace, Pokémon, Popeye the sailor, Simba the Lion King and a lot more. Cartoon, now a day, is more sophisticated that it has acquired the status of anime; an animated cartoon.
In India, cartoons have turned out to be most effective means to handle political and social issues. To put it in another way, the pros and cons of Indian politics are best illustrated through cartoons.
Complete List of Famous Indian Cartoonists
The most celebrated Indian cartoonists are
Abu Abraham, Chittaprosad Bhattacharya, Gopikrishnan, Shubham Gupta, Shekhar Gurera, Maya Kamath, Kutty, R. K. Laxman, Manjul, Madhan, P. K. Manthri, Mario Miranda, Shivram Dattatreya Phadnis, K. Shankar Pillai, N. Ponnappa, K.K. Raghava, Prriya Raj, Rosho, Vasant Sarwate, Ravi Shankar, Sharad Sharma, Pran Kumar Sharma, Prakash Shetty, Mohan Sivanand, Sumanta Baruah, Sudhir Tailang, Bal Thackeray, Toms, Tulal, E. P. Unni, Usman Irumpuzhi, O. V. Vijayan and Yesudasan.
Best Indian Political CartoonsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year
R K Laxman - Famous Indian Cartoonist
Indian cartoon arena is never complete without the name of the cartoon maestro R K Laxman. His unique sense of satire made him the most loved cartoonist in India. Laxman’s popularity is not something restricted to the Indian sub-continent alone. His fame as a cartoonist is recognized in other nations as well. For over fifty years, Laxman has been depicting the Indian social and political life effectively. His cartoons look at and make comments about the Indian political realm through the eyes of a helpless layman. His keen sense of humor and ability to look at stuffs through an unpredictable angle is what makes Laxman’s woks stand out. The popularity and mass appeal of Laxman’s cartoons are based on the fact that he is not just a cartoonist, but at the core, a profound thinker, a social reformer, a political scientist and a constructive critic too.
There is always something mystic about the cartoons of R.K. Laxman. The Government of India honored R.K. Laxamn with the Padma Bhushan. He has won several awards in his lifetime, including Asia’s top journalism award.
Political cartoons have influenced our personal perspectives about a particular issue. Cartoons never aim at defaming some one. But it brings about the drawbacks of an event or an incident. It’s one of the most powerful journalistic tools.
Famous Quotations By RK Laxman
- Democracy today is not what Pericles of Athens conceived. What you have today is not democracy… Our politics is so sad that if I had not been a cartoonist, I would have committed suicide.
- Before fifty years, we accepted imperialism. We never bothered much about democracy. We accepted the idea of being kicked around. If was okay. But now, when we don’t accept the idea of being kicked around, we are being kicked around
- In the name of caste, religion, community you do anything. You kill anyone, murder anyone but nobody minds because we have so many people around. Our asset is our population. Whatever you do, however many you kill, murder, injure – the number never diminishes. So nobody cares.
From the pretentious dignity of Mrs. Gandhi to the grumpy face of Narasimha Rao, something happens to all of them when they come to power. They change overnight.
- You cannot go on and on with subjects like sex. That’s why political cartooning in the West is so mediocre. There’s nothing to it. They draw Clinton like a bull in China shop and things like that. I do not find them amusing at all.
- Crows are very intelligent creatures and that is my art. Not cartooning. I love my crows. I draw them whenever I find the time.
- What politics is all about today. Blah-blah-blah. The day that stops and the quality of our leaders improves, I will have to retire and go away.
Comments 6 comments
More by this Author
Sania Mirza: the name itself is more than enough to provoke the religious fanatics of India. Sania is a sports personality who didn’t get the acclaim she deserved. It’s true that India honored her with one...
The actresses who are multi talented can be in the list of Top ten lists of Hollywood actresses according to me. Every thing should be considered like beauty, language, dance, speech , sexy...
Those vibrant actresses who bid farewell to life while they were literally dazzling like stars at the peak of their career—we can remember them only with an unexplainable pain. Those who are passionate about...