Tombstone: Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer and Sam Elliott Recapture Famous Shoot-Out at O.K. Corral
A gripping portrayal of the gunfight involving Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, Virgil and Morgan Earp and the McLaurys and Clantons at the OK Corral, October 26, 1881.
A Stellar Cast
The Tombstone movie starring Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp), Val Kilmer (Doc Holliday), Sam Elliot (Virgil Earp) and Bill Paxton (Morgan Earp) showcases the talent of a stellar cast, giving viewers the feeling they've stepped back in time.
Others big players are Powers Booth (Curly Bill Brocius), Michael Biehn (Johnny Ringo), Stephen Lang (Ike Clanton) and Thomas Haden Church (Billy Clanton).
Wyatt Earp, moves to Tombstone, Arizona, retiring his badge to start a peaceful new life.
Doc Holliday travels west and joins his friend, Wyatt, in Tombstone, which is fast becoming a boom town, attracting its share of outlaws.
One gang will forever change Wyatt's plans for a peaceful new life.
In a showdown that has gone down in annals of time, The Earps and the Cowboys face off in the famous gunfight in the OK Corral.
Good & Evil Played Out in Tombstone
Tombstone is a riveting portrayal of the powers of good and evil and how these forces leave their marks on men, influencing behavior. The Tombstone movie aptly demonstrates that the lines often become blurred.
- On one side of the fence there's Wyatt Earp, his brothers, and Doc Holliday; on the other is the Red Sash Cowboy Gang, a motley crew of outlaws.
- Wyatt Earp stands for law and order yet is friends with Doc Holliday, who has chosen the darker side.
- Glimpses are seen of an educated and innocent Doc, before he became hardened.
- Wyatt goes on a rampage, showing that even good men can be provoked to violent behavior under certain circumstances.
More than just a Western movie depicting historical events, Tombstone is a psychological drama, which makes this movie far more compelling.
"You tell 'em I'm coming . . . and Hell's coming with me!"
- Wyatt Earp--Wyatt is strong and sensible. Earp is a man of values, who finds these tested to the limit.
- Doc Holliday--Doc is educated and intelligent but through disillusionment uses his talents to become a gambler, gunslinger and a lovable rogue.
- Johnny Ringo--Johnny Ringo is cold and deadly but he meets his match in Doc.
- Curly Bill--Curly is charming and charismatic, which blurs the lines between who is actually "good" and who is "bad."
Who's your Favorite Tombstone Character?See results without voting
"Must be a . . . peach of a hand . . ."
Doc was called "Lunger" in this movie. It was a slang term of the period for someone suffering from consumption.
Val Kilmer Quotes
- "I'm your huckleberry."
- "Isn't that a daisy."
- "There, now we can be friends again."
- "That's just my game."
- "I have two guns. One for each of ya."
- "I have not yet begun to defile myself."
- "The strain was more than he could bear."
- Josephine is attracted to corrupt sheriff Behan & to peace-loving Wyatt.
- Wyatt has a depressed wife and a fun-loving mistress.
- Charming Wyatt and charismatic Curly Bill have as their sidekicks, two ruthless men: Doc Holiday and Johnny Ringo.
- When the Earp brothers walk down Center Street, a line is drawn that forever divides people.
- Tombstone does not climax with the shoot-out in the OK Corral, rather, this sparks a greater battle as Wyatt wages war on the Cowboys.
- Wyatt battles both inner and outer demons, as he hunts down the outlaws.
- Justice and revenge are intermixed in this George Cosmato film.
"Why, Johnny Ringo . . . you look like someone just walked over your grave . . . "
Have You Seen Tombstone?See results without voting
One of the Best Tombstone Movie Versions
This version of the Wyatt Earp story stands out because of the character portrayals. Viewers become emotionally involved with believable men and women with their inherent human foibles.
Tombstone grabs its audience and then some, giving fans much to think about after the movie is over.
© 2011 Athlyn Green
More by this Author
An identity-changing rogue and a pretty scientist combine forces to outwit the Russian Mafia in a race for cold fusion. Suspense, humor, action and romance combine to make this a great movie for the home library.
A conservative middle-aged widow resorts to growing pot to stave off creditors in an attempt to keep her 300-year old manor.
Eczema can torment sufferers with terrible itching, blistering, weeping skin that turns into scaly patches. Learn about something that completely cured me of this skin affliction.