Top 10 Marijuana Smokers in Show-business
This is not just a list of 10 people in Hollywood who happen to smoke weed. Instead, this is a list ranking the top 10 most avid, most involved, most 'known-for-smoking-weed' actors in show-business. Several variables are considered when deciding who makes the list, such as how long that person has been smoking; how frequently that person 'indulges'; how famous and/or recognizable that person is; and how big of an impact marijuana has had directly on that person's success. To keep things simple, only relevant actors (actors still active today) are going to be selected. Making the final cut was, indeed, a scientific process. Without further ado, from "worst" smoker in Hollywood to "best":
10. Jack Black To be entirely honest, I'm not even sure Jack Black (still) smokes weed. What a way to start the list. Anyway, he was in the movie Bongwater (1997), as well as in the Tenacious D series, so I figure it's a no-brainer. His films often see him play the 'lazy-stoner' character (Orange County (2002), Saving Silverman (2001)) and he's a real inspiration to fat potheads everywhere.
9. Danny McBride This relatively new member of comedy's funniest team; the Apatow Productions team, is f**king hilarious, and he loves weed, to boot. He recently starred in 2008's smash-hit, Pineapple Express, and followed up by starring in another James Franco/ David Gordon Green picture, the weed-heavy, Your Highness (2011). McBride is another character actor who frequently finds himself playing the 'stupid-stoner' role- and he pulls it off magnificently. Although it wasn't his first film, the Seth Rogen/Evan Goldberg-written, Pineapple Express is what really catapulted McBride to the top of Hollywood's stoner A-list.
8. Seth Rogen A man who needs no introduction, Rogen has been a prominent weed-smoker in Hollywood since breaking onto the scene in 1999's Apatow/Feig created, Freaks and Geeks. He proudly endorses the use of marijuana in interviews and in his movies, and he even shared "Stoner of the Year" honors with co-star of Pineapple Express, James Franco, in 2008. Rogen, who has written comedy hit after hit (Knocked up (2007), Superbad (2007)), has become somewhat known for always (with some exception) portraying a pothead in his films. He has an uncanny ability to 'normalize' weed smoking in his pictures, and he really depicts the true nature of the drug without blowing its effects out of proportion- as is common place in the media.
7. Zach Galifianakis We need look no further than the incident that occurred on the Bill Maher show, Real Time, a year or two ago. Galifianakis proved to the world that day that we could count on him to forerun the fight to end prohibition. Making another "end prohibition" reference on SNL earlier this year was just gravy. Zach is yet another archetype of the fat, lazy stoner, and his hilarious demeanor only solidifies his position among Hollywood's greatest pot smokers.
6. Bill Maher Long time host of Real Time with Bill Maher, Maher has been advocating for legalization since before many of the actors on this list were old enough to toke up. He openly supported prop. 19 in California, and he continuously features anti-prohibition activists on his show's panel- notably Ann Druyan, wife of the late and great Carl Sagan.
5. Bill Murray Although he's not so relevant today, Bill Murray deserves recognition on this list. He plays a significant role in three of the greatest comedy films of all time, Caddyshack (1980), Ghostbusters (1984), and Groundhog Day (1993), and his love for weed- especially in his later years- is something to marvel at. One of the funniest people on Earth also heavily endorses the use of marijuana, and that's just great!
4. Doug Benson Despite his modest notoriety and fame, Doug Benson has made a career out of getting super high. The stand-up comedian, who co-created the Marijuana-Logues, owes his relative success entirely to the cannabis plant, as it was 2007's Super High Me that really prompted Benson into this lists top 5.
3. Matthew McConaughey Just a great face for the pro-weed fight, this long time actor who has starred in several outstanding movies- most notably Dazed and Confused (1993), and A Time to Kill (1996). McConaughey is pretty vocal about his love for weed, and what better poster-child is there, among all the fat, lazy, stupid stoners, than a dashing young stud who gets tons of hot babes?
2. Harrison Ford The half-living legend himself, Ford is by far the best all around actor on this list. From Indiana Jones to the President of the United States, Ford has truly done it all in Hollywood, and he's been tapping some bong along the way. Just to think that Ford was probably smoking back when weed was still prescribed as medicine... and he'll be smoking when weed is finally prescribed as medicine, once more (in the very near future). This Hollywood juggernaut has been relevant in the biz for like a half-century, and he's been a pothead for the better part of that. Truly inspiring.
1. Woody Harrelson We all know that Woody Harrelson is hugely famous, as well as a great actor- look no further than Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers (1994). Most of us know that Woody absolutely loves weed, and endorses its legalization more than just about anyone else in show-business. His two lovely documentaries, Grass (1999) and Go Further (2003) are beautiful tributes to marijuana and to living a 'green' life, in general. Arguably no Hollywood main-staple has done more in the fight to end prohibition than Woody Harrelson. Man, this guy loves to smoke.
So that's the list, I hope it wasn't too painful to learn that your favorite actors like to puff the magic dragon from time to time. If you have any problems with the list or would like to know more, please comment!
More by this Author
Sitting in bed at 2:30 in the morning wondering what movie to watch on my Macbook, I thought to myself, where are all the obscure stoner movies?? Sure, we all know and love the classics- Fast Times at Ridgemont High...