Top 10 Samples in Hip-Hop History ~ Part 42 (Life, the Universe and Everything)
In the beginning, the universe was created....
This Book + Your Brain = Bliss
Janx Spirit is a rather potent alcoholic beverage, and is used heavily in drinking games that are played in the hyperspace ports that serve the madranite mining belts in the star system of Orion Beta.
The game is not unlike the Earth game called Indian Wrestling, and is played like this:
Two contestants sit at either side of a table, with a glass in front of each of them.
Between them would be placed a bottle of Janx Spirit (as immortalized in that ancient Orion mining song "Oh don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/ No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/ For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die/ Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit").
Each of the two contestants would then concentrate their will on the bottle and attempt to tip it and pour spirit into the glass of his opponent-who would then have to drink it.
The bottle would then be refilled. The game would be played again. And again.
Once you started to lose you would probably keep losing, because one of the effects of Janx spirit is to depress telepsychic power.
As soon as a predetermined quantity had been consumed, the final loser would have to perform a forfeit, which was usually obscenely biological.
Douglas Adams usually played to lose yet he always knew where his towel was.
Then The Funk Was Brought Down On The Mothership....
Without Further Adieu....
All from the Funktual Collection!
Top 10 Samples in Hip-Hop History ~ #42
1) Sardines ~ Junk Yard Band
- She's Crafty - Beastie Boys
- Clock Strikes (remix) - Timbaland & Magoo
2) Brothers on the Slide ~ Cymande
- Cedar - MF DOOM (Metal Fingers)
- Peep Da Flavor - Poison Clan
3) The Nitty Gritty ~ Shirley Ellis
Peep Out the Gladys Knight version below.....
- Nitty Gritty (remix) - KMD ft. Brand Nubian
4) Knock Him Out Sugar Ray ~ Experience Unlimited a/k/a E.U.
- And It’s Us - Cold Crush Brothers
- Bring the Beat Back - Steady B
- Radio - Eazy-E
- Knock Em Out Sugar Ray - MC Sugar Ray & Stranger D
- Revolutionary Generation - Public Enemy
- Where It’s At - Beck
5) Rise Sally Rise ~ Nat Adderley
- Juice (Know the Ledge) - Eric B & Rakim
6) Pass the Peas ~ The JB’s
- Have A Nice Day - Roxanne Shante
- I Ain’t No Joke - Eric B & Rakim
- Move the Crowd - Eric B & Rakim
- Pass the Plugs - De La Soul
- Get Loud - Kings of Rapp
- The Overweight Lover’s in the House - Heavy D
- One in a Million - Pete Rock & CL Smooth
- Talking Sense - Stezo
- Self Destruction - Stop the Violence Movement
- Move Your Body - Tyree ft. J.M.D.
- Pump That Body - Mr. Lee
7) Hot Pants Road ~ The JB’s
- Fight the Power - Public Enemy
- Move the Crowd - Eric B & Rakim
- Have a Nice Day - Roxanne Shante
- Overweight Lover’s…House - Heavy D
- Kemit-Cal Reaction - Two Kings in a Cipher
8) I Got Some ~ Sugar Billy (Garner)
- B.Y.S. (Bust Yo Shit) - Gang Starr
- Work the Angles - Dilated Peoples “BABU”
- Love to Hate - Kanye West / Busta Rhymes
9) Uphill Peace of Mind ~ Kid Dynamite
- Trilogy of Terror - Kool G Rap & DJ Polo
- Going Way Back - Just-Ice
- Eazy Street - Eazy-E
- Times Are Getting’ Ill - Rob Base
- Feelin’ It - Ultramagnetic MC’s
- Bad Sister - Roxanne Shante
- Contract on the World Love Jam - Public Enemy
- Shakiyla - Poor Righteous Teachers
- Rappin’ Black - Poor Righteous Teachers
- 1-900 Dial A Crook - Convicts / Geto Boys
- Nuttin’ But A G Thang - Dr. Dre
- Shit is Real - Fat Joe
- Live Fast, Die Young - Rick Ross / Kanye
10) Bustin Loose' ~ Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers
- Bustin' Loose - Alliance
- Freak the Funk - Stezo
- Bustin' Loose - 3 Spinmasters
- Eric B Made My Day - Eric B & Rakim
- Say Kids (What Time Is it?) - Coldcut
- Hot in Herre - Nelly
- All Together Now - The Farm
- I Ain’t Mad At All - Public Enemy
Press Play, Lean Back, Close Your Eyes and Smile
A Sample Junkie's DJ Companion by BPM
If you like what I do and wanna support my channel, please consider purchasing a Sample Junkie t-shirt this holiday season. Buy one for that friend who envies yours just for the Funk of it. Get one for your girl and use it as an aphrodisiak.
Get a Jimmy Castor inspired IT'S JUST BEGUN shirt for the b-boy in your life. You'll feel great wearing it at battles / gigs / concerts as the back of the shirt reads:
Peace Will Come
This World Will Rest
Once We Have
Fans of Armand Van Helden & A-Trak have already seen the shirt in the new Duck Sauce video for "Barbra Streisand" which you can see above. The shirt appears at the (1:14) mark. Enjoy!
I met A-Trak at the closing of Fat Beats NYC
The "SJ" and "IJB" shirts are available via my paypal!!!! Just hit SEND MONEY and then my account which is email@example.com
More by this Author
What's a 'Hair Metal' song? Hair Metal is a genre of music inhabited by 1980s glam rock stars who spend as much or more time on hair & make-up than on writing their music. While being labeled a hair band definitely...
I have been a DJ for 25 years now and can honestly say I have played every single one of these songs live at gigs. Some of them not so much anymore...but that doesn't mean I don't remember how powerful the song was, is...
This epic list was inspired by my childhood radio station WLIR-WDRE 92.7 fm on Long Island. Their mantra was 'Dare To be Different' and they were introducing new bands every single week. Let's begin.