Top 10 reasons people are unfriended on Facebook
Facebook, which is an online social networking service, began over ten years ago in February of 2004. The popularity of Facebook has soared out of sight, and just about everyone on the planet has heard of Facebook, unless they have been living under a rock like the guy in the Geico insurance commercials. Today there are well over one billion people around the world who are using good old Facebook.
Social media has four main basic uses in our day to day lives. One is it's for friends and family, which includes maintaining family contact, finding and maintaining old friendships, and to find new friends. The second reason is career networking which can be anything from simply finding a job to business contacts. The third reason is for products and services, which includes learning about products, reading consumer feedback, getting coupons and promotions, and giving both positive and negative feedback. The final main use for social media is lifestyle and entertainment. This includes entertainment, gaming, dating, following celebrities, how to information, as well as a creative outlet for some people. Men are more likely to use social media for dating, careers, and networking, while women use social media for a creative outlet, giving positive feedback, and coupons & promotions.
Some of the reasons we add friends on Facebook are that we know them in real life, we have mutual friends, for business networks, and physical attractiveness. Other reasons people add friends are for increasing their friend count, the quality of their photos, their number of friends, or they just simply friend everyone no matter who they are. Have you ever been unfriended on Facebook or ever wondered why other people unfriend people on Facebook? Unless you have a constant fluid number of friends around 4,850 then you probably wouldn't even notice when someone comes and goes from your friend's list. If you have a low friend count like a co-worker of mine at work has then you will notice almost right away when a person decides to dumps you as a friend. The average Facebook user has around 130 friends. Keeping this all in mind a study was conducted to find out why we unfriend people on Facebook, and there are plenty reasons when it's time to kick some so-called friends out of your social networking life, and to the curb. While there certainly are many more, here is a list of the ten most common reasons to unfriend somebody on Facebook.
Top 10 reasons people are unfriended on Facebook
1. Bragging is the biggest, and number one reason why people are unfriended.
2. Gushing and lovey dovey updates can get very annoying and under other people's skin, which is why this is the number two reason people find themselves unfriended.
3. Don't see them in the real world, lack of interaction, or you don't really know them all that well - These are the people that you haven’t seen forever, and therefore don’t even qualify as friends anymore. Three examples are it was your cousins friend's boyfriend who you went to Six Flags with one time many years ago, you’ve only met this person once but they “like” everything you do on Facebook, and someone adding you as a friend on Facebook is the most that you've ever heard from this person in years & after accepting their request you still haven’t connected with them at all.
4. Too frequent and numerous - You sign on to Facebook and the first 10 status updates on your news feed are all from the same person, who’s usually the biggest over sharer that you know. They have a high school yearbook with a scanner along with a passion for tagging, or they can’t stop posting pictures from their wedding two years ago. They share every Up-worthy video they have ever seen, show way too many baby pictures, and they want the entire world to know what they had for lunch, how many miles they just drove, and what movie they are going to the theater to see tonight.
5. Annoying status updates, they update their own profile way too often, they are always trying to sell something, or they changed their relationship status to single instead of breaking up with someone in person.
6. Inappropriate photos and sex-related posts are the sixth reason that people find themselves not only unfriended but many times blocked on Facebook as well.
7. Too personal - like depressing comments about another couple's nasty breakup or divorce.
8. Bad language, inflammatory political statements, political comments, offensive comments, consistently bad spelling along with purposeful bad spelling, or every single word that is written is in capital letters and is followed by a whole bunch of exclamation points!!!!
9. They add too many people, don’t like their friends, or they are friending our friends - Sending friend request to other people's friends that you don’t even know is often grounds for an unfriending right there on the spot.
10. Jealousy of other people's vacations, and holidays is the tenth biggest reason people are unfriended on Facebook.
Have you ever unfriended someone on Facebook?See results without voting
More by this Author
The penny or little one cent piece is becoming another sad statistic on the world's endangered specie's list. After all there are certainly other things which can be included on this list today other than just living...
This world that we all live in is full of hair. There are hairy tarantulas, which are really not as scary as they look. Some people even keep tarantulas as pets.
Sometimes certain people in this world have more money than common sense, and here's an interesting list of ten different stupid things that some rich people spend their money on & buy.