Top 20 Charlie Chaplin Quotes
No one actor or filmmaker has had a greater impact on the world of cinema than Charles “Charlie” Spencer Chaplin. And no one comedian has contributed more to the art of comedy.
Hailed as a comedic genius and the master of slapstick, this icon of early cinema often infused his work with an undertone of pathos and sentimentality. He often improvised scenes on the spot using props and clothing found on the sets.
Chaplin was loved around the world for his work in landmark films such as 'The Kid,' Great Dictator,' and 'The Gold Rush.'
Here are some of the best quotes from the beloved "Little Tramp" of the silent film era and the greatest comic icon the world has every known.
20) I do not have much patience with a thing of beauty that must be explained to be understood. If it does need additional interpretation by someone other than the creator, then I question whether it has fulfilled its purpose.
19) I thought I would dress in baggy pants, big shoes, a cane and a derby hat. Everything a contradiction: the pants baggy, the coat tight, the hat small, and the shoes large.
18) Why should poetry have to make sense?
17) I had no idea of the character. But the moment I was dressed, the clothes and the make-up made me feel the person he was. I began to know him, and by the time I walked onto the stage he was fully born.
16) I'd sooner be called a successful crook than a destitute monarch.
15) Man as an individual is a genius. But men in the mass form the headless monster, a great, brutish idiot that goes where prodded.
14) I remain just one thing, and one thing only, and that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician.
13) All I need to make a comedy is a park, a policeman, and a pretty girl.
12) A man's true character comes out when he's drunk.
11) The saddest thing I can imagine is to get used to luxury.
10) Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles.
9) Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself.
8) I went into the business for the money, and the art grew out of it. If people are disillusioned by that remark, I can't help it. It's the truth.
7) In the end, everything is a gag.
6) We think too much and feel too little.
5) Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot.
4) What do you want a meaning for? Life is a desire, not a meaning.
3) To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it!
2) I don't believe that the public knows what it wants; this is the conclusion that I have drawn from my career.
1) A day without laughter is a day wasted.
More by this Author
It’s easy to get swept away with the start-up wave with little idea about what’s in store. Having said that, going on your own is extremely important today and in many ways easier than it was earlier.
Here is a list of my top 20 Albert Einstein Quotes 20) Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts. 19) The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax ...
Fantasy is more than just magical creatures prancing around in a magical forest. It is a reflection of personal and social evolution. Drawing on myths and folklore the genre allows us to see the world around us in a new...