What Are Your Pet Peeves?
A pet peeve is something that someone does that annoys you to a greater degree than it affects others. Everyone has a pet peeve whether they admit it or not. And everyone does something that annoys others whether they are aware of it or not.
So what is it that makes you cringe when people do it? And what do you do about those pet peeves that annoy you? Well, you have choices. You can grin and bear it. Or you can bring it to the person's attention.The fallacy with the latter choice is that sometimes when you bring something to people's attention, they do it all the more.
While a pet peeve is a personal thing, there are some pet peeves that are common with most people. Here are my top pet peeves:
- I don't like it when someone takes over a conversation I've started. It brothers me tremendously when someone highjacks my conversation.
- It annoys me when people eat while talking to me on the telephone. I could understand it better if I called someone and caught them eating. However, I cannot tolerate it when someone deliberately calls me when they are eating. I was recently called to complete a telephone survey, and it was evident the caller was eating. I brought it to his attention and he apologized. I kindly told him it was rude, and I preferred not conducting a survey while he was eating. Needless to say, that was one survey he did not complete.
- One upmanship is a pet peeve that I detest like a plague. For instance, if I share with someone what is going on with me and that person tries to top it with something better, greater, faster, or one up on me.
- Crosstalking is another pet peeve that bothers me tremendously. That is when a group of people are talking all at the same time.
- It annoys me when I am talking in a group and no one seems to be paying attention.
- Listening to loud music at the stop sign is something I wish I wouldn't have to endure. No matter how beautiful the music is, I don't want to hear someone else's music.
- It bothers me when people don't keep their promises to me.
- When people make me wait for them is unacceptable as far as I am concerned because I am almost always on time.
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT...If what people do to annoy us is called a pet peeve, what is it called when a pet annoys another pet? Is it a human peeve?
What is your pet peeve?See results without voting
More by this Author
Some people prefer to watch "Dateline," and some people prefer to watch "20/20." They both air at the same time in some places. Therefore, people have to make a choice. Which do you prefer?
"Dancing with the Stars" is a popular dance competition show that has been airing on ABC since 2005. How much do the stars and others make on the show?
Eating peanut butter is a quick way to lower blood sugar level if you are a diabetic.