Women & The Movies
How does the film world represent women, in general? Think about it: review the questions below with a piece of paper and a pen and take note of your experience as an audience-member. Get messy and colorful, please - and feel free to send me pictures at OnSoapBox@gmail.com (they will be posted on http://pazfilmsproject.tumblr.com/):
0) How do you identify your gender?
1) How often do you identify with characters you see on-screen?
2) In the last three films you've seen, how many characters were women? Also note if any of the films were directed by a woman.
3) Would you consider the roles those women were playing major or minor?
3.5) What happened to those characters?
4) Did any of those films have a female protagonist - the lead role?
5) If yes, consider the things that happened to her. Think of what the main events of the film and the end - where does she end up?
6) On that track, what actions did she take in the film? Where did she alter the course of events?
7) Now, look at this portrait of your most recent film history. What does this say about women in film? How do you feel about it?