Catching Fire Movie: The Hunger Games 2
**New Updates! - April 2013**
A new Catching Fire trailer has been released! Check it out below along with more news about Catching Fire, the sequel to The Hunger Games out in theaters this November.
Filming for this movie is over. The movie filmed for 2 weeks more than slotted in Hawaii. It has also reportedly gone over budget. This could be a good thing because it means the production company is willing to put in the money to make the movie great.
The movie is now in post-production. That means that the crew is working on editing and adding special effects to put the whole thing together.
Casting calls for extras are over for this sequel. Keep your ears open for casting and filming for Mockingjay coming soon. Look below for links and info.
Fans anxious to hear news about the second movie in the Hunger Games series have come to the right place. Below is movie news, casting and filming updates, fantasy cast lists, and much more.
The series by Suzanne Collins has been a phenomenal hit worldwide and the popularity of the series is going to explode even more with the movie editions. The series has now reached the acclaim of other popular young adult series like Harry Potter and Twilight.
The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where the Capitol controls its 12 Districts (formerly North America) by making two teenage tributes from each District fight to the death in what is known as the Hunger Games. The action centers around the main character, Katniss Everdeen, a girl who volunteers for the Hunger Games in place of her sister.
Catching Fire Trailer
Catching Fire Teaser Trailer
The Hunger Games Is Out on DVD!
Get the movie on DVD, Blue-ray, or watch it right now with Amazon Instant Video.
Movie News and Tidbits
Catching Fire (The Hunger Games 2) is scheduled to be released in theaters November 22, 2013.
The film is currently filming in Atlanta, GA and in Hawaii.
There is a possibility that the Hunger Games may come out in four films rather than three. That means there is no guarantee that the Catching Fire movie is going to end at the same spot as the book. Mockingjay may not be split into two movies. It may be that Catching Fire and Mockingjay will become three parts instead of two.
**Update** Mockingjay Part 1 will be in theaters November 21, 2014 and Mockingjay Part 2 will be November 20, 2015.
Casting and Filming Updates
- There are now rumors that the main sound stage for the movie will be moving to Atlanta, GA. That means some filming will be done there instead of North Carolina.
- A production report for the movie has Wilmington, NC listed as the location.
- Parts of the movie may be filmed on the Hawaiian island Kauai. All of the filming locations have not been set.
- Casting for co-starring and supporting roles is now underway in Los Angeles.
- Extras will be cast in Atlanta, GA and possibly Wilmingtion, NC closer to filming in September.
- Extras for Hawaii will be needed for November 2012.
- The working title for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is "The Idiom" (formerly "Artemis 2"). Basically, it is a ruse to keep filming information as secret as possible.
- Michael Arndt (writer of Toy Story 3) is rewriting the screenplay draft of Catching Fire written by Simon Beaufoy.
- Philip Seymour Hoffman has been offered the part of Plutarch Heavensbee.
- Amanda Plummer has been cast as Wiress and Latarsha Rose has been cast as Portia.
- Lynn Cohen has been cast as Mags.
- Meta Golding will be playing Enobaria.
- Tony Shalhoub (Monk) is rumored to be cast as Beetee.
- Jena Malone (Sucker Punch and Hatfields & McCoys) has been cast in the part of Johanna Mason.
- There are rumors that the casting for Finnick is down to the final three: Armie Hammer, Taylor Kitsch and Garrett Hedlund. Robert Pattinson will not be Finnick. There are also rumors that they are looking at unknown actors for the part as well. Grant Gustin (Glee) may have been cast.
- **New rumors about Finnick: Update - July 29, 2012 Sam Claflin (Snow White and the Huntsman) may have the part instead.
- Gary Ross will not be returning as the director for Catching Fire because of timing conflicts. Francis Lawrence has been chosen as his replacement for the Hunger Games sequel. He directed I Am Legend, Constantine, and Water for Elephants.
- The screenplay is being written by Simon Beaufoy and is currently in the works. Beaufoy wrote Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours.
- There were no open auditions for the principal characters in the Hunger Games movie. Catching Fire and Mockingjay will probably be similar. There are rumors that casting for main characters like Finnick and Johanna is already underway.
- Extras casting was done on location in North Carolina for the first movie. Casting calls were held in the Cleveland Mall in Shelby, NC. Extras casting for Catching Fire will also be done on location as well.
- Filming is set to begin in September 2012.
- Some of the actors, mainly Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss), may begin training as early as July 2012.
Filming and Casting Locations for Catching Fire and Hunger Games
Possible location of extras casting for Catching Fire.
Where Hunger Games was filmed.
Possible location of Catching Fire filming.
Casting for major parts in Catching Fire.
Part of Catching Fire may be filmed on the Hawaiian island of Kauai. These scenes are likely to include the arena scenes.
How to Be Cast as an Extra in the Movie
First off, don't get your hopes up about playing a major character. There are top actors and actresses in Hollywood who are fighting to get parts.
To get a speaking role, you will have to have an agent. That means having expensive head shots, acting resume, and the whole nine yards. So unless you are planning to be a professional actor, it probably isn't going to happen.
The good news is that you definitely have a shot at being an extra in the movie. The studio will need lots of people to play extras in the movies.
Here is what you must know to get a part as an extra in the movie:
- They are mainly going to be looking for local people. This is because they can count on those people to be around and dependable when it is time to shoot. If you can definitely commit to being in the area during the filming, you can also be considered for a part.
- Filming is likely to take place during school or work hours. You will have to be able to get out of any other obligations to be an extra.
- You will need to register with the agency who will be casting the extras. (Check the links below for casting call updates).
- If you are under 18, you will need an adult with you and if you are cast, you will have to get a work permit for the state it is filming in.
- Taking along a good picture of yourself may help to get cast because extras are typically chosen based on a certain look.
Remember - Thousands of people are likely to audition to be extras and the production company may only need hundreds. Also, the extras will be picked based on having a certain look and criteria that is needed for specific scenes. You may not have a particular appearance that is needed for the movie.
Don't be too heartbroken if you aren't chosen. If being an extra or acting is something you are really interested in, keep pursuing it. There are other movies and you can always take acting classes or look into your local theater.
***Casting Call Info and Filming Updates***
- Acting Auditions - Daily listings of acting auditions and casting calls
Casting calls, audition information, and other movie news for the Hunger Games movies. Look for Catching Fire info under the working title "Artemis 2."
Catching Fire Story Summary
After winning the Hunger Games by forcing the Capitol to allow them both to live, Katniss and Peeta are back in District 12 where life is much different for them. They live in mansions in "Victor's Village" and are both rich now. Food is no longer in short supply for their families.
But life is definitely not perfect for Katniss. She and Peeta have to go on a Victory Tour through all of Panem and must become mentors for tributes in future Hunger Games. So she will remain the Capitol's puppet for the rest of her life.
Not only that, but President Snow has threatened Katniss and her family because of the berry incident. He comes to see Katniss and tells her that some of the districts are becoming rebellious. He tasks her with making sure the people of Panem believe that her actions in the games were fueled by love and not rebellion against the Capitol.
That means she must keep pretending to be in love with Peeta or her friends and family will die. It also means that she will keep hurting her friend Gale as she tries to sort through the feelings she has for him and what she feels for Peeta.
Every 25 years, a particularly brutal Games are planned. The 75th Hunger Games are going to take place soon after Katniss returns from the Victory Tour. As the nation watches, it is announced that the tributes for the Games will be drawn from previous winners.
Katniss and Peeta will have to fight in the Hunger Games again. Who will come out alive this time?
Catching Fire Book Trailer
Who would make the perfect Finnick?See results without voting
Want to See More Fantasy Casting Picks?
- Catching Fire and the Mockingjay Cast List and Music
Casting possibilities for Catching Fire and Mockingjay.
Who should play Johanna?See results without voting
New Characters Introduced in Catching Fire
There are new characters who first appear in Catching Fire. Here are the important characters who are introduced:
- Finnick Odair - Victor from District 4 who won the 65th Hunger Games. He is known for being deadly with a trident.
- Johanna Mason - Victor from District 7 who won the games a few years before Katniss by pretending to be a weakling.
- Beetee - Also known as "Volts." He is a victor from District 3 and is an electronics expert.
- Wiress - Also known as "Nuts." She is a victor from District 3. Though she is very intelligent, she has trouble expressing her thoughts.
- Mags - Victor from District 4 from a much earlier Hunger Games. She was Finnick's mentor and has fishing and other survival skills.
- Annie Cresta - Victor from District 4 who won the 70th Hunger Games. She was driven insane when she saw a fellow tribute beheaded.
- Plutarch Heavensbee - He is the Head Gamemaker for the 75th Hunger Games.
- Other victors - Cashmere, Gloss, Brutus, Enobaria, Woof, Cecilia, Chaff, Seeder, and the Morphlings
Why not read the book?
More by this Author
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn movie updates, pictures, news and more.
Mockingjay casting and filming information, extra casting call updates, fantasy casting polls, and more about the final installment of the Hunger Games series
The color of your snot can tell you a lot about what is going on inside your body. Clear, white, yellow, green, brown, red, or gray–what does your mucus say about you?