Courageous: Impacting Lives Everywhere
As Americans observe National Police Week, the movie "Courageous" is making an impact around the world, particularly among law enforcement officers.
Americans observe Peace Officers Memorial Day on May 15, during National Police Week.
Heroes, Courage, and Faith
As Americans observe Peace Officers Memorial Day and National Police Week, Courageous is making an impact around the world, particularly among law enforcement officers.
The movie enjoyed a "top four" theatrical premiere in September 2011; four months later, it was a top-selling DVD release. The movie continues to impact lives everywhere.
Courageous is one of many popular faith based films released in recent years. The story follows four men with one calling: to serve and protect.
As police officers, these strong and confident men are focused on the important work of keeping the peace. Protecting the streets of their small Georgia town is second nature to them.
But they face a singular challenge that none of them are really prepared for: fatherhood. When tragedy hits home for one family, the men grapple with their personal fears, hopes, and faith.
Courageous examines the decisions of everyday heroes who face their spiritual needs and resolve to be godly fathers and husbands.
The movie is the fourth offering from Sherwood Pictures, a movie-making ministry of Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia. The Christian film company also produced Fireproof, Facing the Giants, and Flywheel.
Changing Lives Everywhere
In 1962, President John F. Kennedy declared May 15 as Peace Officers Memorial Day. This day is observed annually during National Police Week.
Thousands of law enforcement personnel visit Washington, DC, each year to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Attendees come from national, state, and local agencies and bureaus around the world.
Some law enforcement groups made Courageous part of their National Police Week activities in 2012. Since its release, the movie has changed the lives of police officers everywhere. Here are some extraordinary examples:
- The Baton Rouge, Louisiana, police chief offered to personally cover the cost for any of his 630 police officers who wanted to see Courageous.
- Downtown San Angelo, Texas, had a free movie viewing in honor of National Police Week.
- First Baptist Church of Orlando, Florida, bought 2,000 copies of the DVD to give to each law enforcement officer.
- 700 police officers in Panama drove four hours to watch the film.
- 300 police officers in Ecuador publicly proclaimed "The Resolution" like the men in the film.
- 4,000 people in the Philippines attended a Courageous screening and 1,000 policemen dedicated their lives to Jesus.
How has the movie Courageous impacted your life? Leave a comment below and join the discussion. If you enjoyed this article, please share it with your social networks.
- Gryboski, Michael. (March 13, 2012). "1,000 Philippine Police Dedicate Lives to Christ After Watching 'Courageous'." The Christian Post. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- "Honor Begins at Home." Courageous, the Movie. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- National Memorial Committee. "About National Police Week." Grand Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
- Sondag, Monique. (May 7, 2012). "Hit Film 'Courageous' Changes the Lives of Police Officers Worldwide." Lovell-Fairchild Communications. Retrieved May 7, 2012.
More by this Author
Old horror films are ideal for Halloween or any time of the year. Here are seven classic monster movies of the 1930s that are sure to please any fan.
Are you looking for a Christmas movie to watch during the holidays? Consider one of these forgotten classics from the 1940s.
Anosmia is a lack or loss of the sense of smell. To learn more about this smell disorder, from causes and treatments to personal experiences, read on.