jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Your favourite piece of classical music and composer of all time?

1. JKenny profile image94
    JKennyposted 4 years ago

Do you have a favourite composer, or a favourite piece of music? Feel free to share. My favourite overall composer is Bach, but my favourite piece has to be this from Ralph Vaughan Williams:

1. collegatariat profile image87
      collegatariatposted 4 years ago in reply to this

To answer both with only one answer is impossible.  For composers, Rachmaninoff and Chopin get me every time pretty much-- I've never heard anything from either composer that I disliked.

For the pieces, I would say Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto or Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, and Chopin's Nocturnes in C# minor are my go-to pieces.

I also love the Vaughn Williams you linked to, and Hamilton Hardy's Rhapsody on Londonderry Air.  Too many good ones to choose from!

1. randomcreative profile image93
        randomcreativeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree that it's too hard to pick just one for either.  I usually say that my favorite composer is Mozart, but I have many others.  The 3rd and 4th Brandenburg Concertos will always be some of my favorites.

2. christopheranton profile image79
      christopherantonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

While I love Fantasia on Greensleeves, I think Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis just has the edge for me.
      There is such an enormous repertoire in classical music, that it would be almost impossible for me to pick a favourite piece. Almost anything by Mozart would get my vote, one of the famous arias by Puccini. Perhaps my favourite is the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. Then again, maybe the Emperor waltz is my number one.
      The choice is impossible, but thank you James for allowing me the pleasure of trying.

3. Shinkicker profile image90
      Shinkickerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sibelius : 5th Symphony 3rd Movement

4. Trish_M profile image89
      Trish_Mposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I love Tchaikovsky's music, especially 'Romeo and Juliet'

2. AliciaC profile image96
    AliciaCposted 4 years ago

My favorite composer is Sergei Prokofiev, and my favorite classical music is the music that he created for the Romeo and Juliet ballet.

1. JKenny profile image94
      JKennyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Alicia, yes I like Prokofiev too, my favourite piece from the Romeo and Juliet ballet is 'Dance of the Knights' I think they use it as the theme for 'The Apprentice' TV show. I also like this from Peter and the Wolf:

3. Niteriter profile image78
    Niteriterposted 4 years ago

My favorite composer is Randy BACHman and favorite piece of music "Takin' Care of Business".

4. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 4 years ago

Well..getting back to classical music. My favorite (if I had to choose just one), is the Firebird ballet music, by Igor Stravinsky. I really like Antonin Dvorak as well.

1. Brandon Tart profile image60
      Brandon Tartposted 4 years ago in reply to this
  5. tirelesstraveler profile image86
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

Handles "Fireworks Music" is so exhilarating.

6. STEVEW13 profile image61
    STEVEW13posted 4 years ago

Although I have to admit that classical music is not my strong point, it has to be Pachelbel's Cannon in D, this can chill me out to no end. Thanks for reminding me to have a listen to it, and for giving me the opportunity to check out the favorites of those who have already answered the question smile

7. weFTL profile image60
    weFTLposted 4 years ago

Has to be Albinoni's Adagio in G minor, I know, I know, it's not proven to be written by him, but it's been attributed to him nevertheless! So good though!

8. e-five profile image94
    e-fiveposted 4 years ago

My favorities keep changing over time.  Last year I saw the Saint Louis Symphony doing Gustav Holst's The Planets and Brahms' Requiem, and I've been listening to those pieces a lot lately.  Overall, Mahler might be my favorite these days because of his complexity.