jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Dark Knight; review

1. Scott Mandrake profile image61
    Scott Mandrakeposted 7 years ago

As a long time fan of Batman comics and movies, I have developed certain expectations when it comes to portraying the Dark Knight. 

Though the producers of this movie captured well the grim setting of Gotham City they seemed to lack the punch one demands of the Batman.  My general feel of the Dark Knight, is that it failed to continue the Batman mentality which was so evident in Batman Begins.  With violence a plenty and special effects galore, the movie was definitely worth watching twice but somehow left me disappointed in the almost pathetic self pity displayed by Batman, Dark Knight.

On the plus side, I feel that even though nobody could replace Jack Nicholson as the joker, Heath Ledger made a worthy effort.  I was not disappointed by his performance one bit, though I feel much could have been done on the producers end in giving him a bit more background.  Although they may have wanted to leave that to the next film, the untimely death of this brilliant actor will leave a bad taste in the mouths of the audience should the joker play a role.

As a final note, the Batbike was pushing it, even for Batman.

2. kerryg profile image87
    kerrygposted 7 years ago

I like Bale, but he definitely had by far the least interesting material to work with, which is unfortunate considering he's the hero! Not unusual, though.

Ledger's performance made the movie for me, but I haven't seen Nicholson's Joker, if you can believe it. I also enjoyed the fact that the movie was, with a few exceptions, a bunch of smart people being smart in opposition to each other. That's so much more interesting to me than the macho dimwit brand of action movie hero and villain.

1. Cris A profile image60
      Cris Aposted 7 years ago in reply to this

here's one great review of the movie made by theyrodeon you may want to check out big_smile

3. 59
    utopia81posted 7 years ago

I only watched it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and thought it was really good. Not a huge batman fan to be honest so didn't have high expectations. In many respects I think that helps - nothing worse than having a film built up and then it finally watching it to find it doesn't meet your expectations.

4. Junkster profile image60
    Junksterposted 7 years ago

I liked the film, probably up there with a few other good films of last year but I share your disappointment wit hwhat was done with batman's character.  It said something that the majority of people (who probably didn't see Batman Begins) were more interested in the Joker than batman, it definitely seemed like people were waiting for his scenes rather than batman's.

I still think certain aspects of batman's story were done pretty well, choosing to keep to the idea that he's not a good guy or a bad guy and there are points where he sort of explains this.

I did think that Batman Begins was slightly better at telling batman's origins but there's a pretty clever script in the Dark Knight depsite all the Joker leanings, I liked the change in Harvey Dent that was pretty impressive.

On a side note I thoroughly recommend buying the film on bluray if only for the select IMAX shots (the opening in particular) as it not only fills the screen but looks stunning in HD.

Some people have complained that changing from letterbox standard shots to massive IMAX full screen shots is a bit disorientating but the way they're used such as large panoramic shots like in China it was pretty good at getting the impressive view.

5. 61
    rinasings2uposted 7 years ago

such a great movie

6. Junkster profile image60
    Junksterposted 7 years ago

By fat? I don't know, he didn't seem too hefty in the film big_smile

But don't worry I get what you mean, and I still like Jack Nicholson's portrayal too, they're both good in their own ways, not one above the other.  But then again aren't we forgetting Cesar Romero from the TV series! haha

7. TravelMonkey profile image60
    TravelMonkeyposted 7 years ago

I know I might cause a little controversy here but do you think Heath Ledger would have got as much credit if he hadn't passed away? I sometimes wonder