What was your favorite t.v. show when you were young?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (74 posts)
  1. moneyfairy profile image60
    moneyfairyposted 11 years ago

The Brady Bunch? The Partridge family? Andy Griffith show? I love Lucy?Mr. Rodgers smile?  My Three sons? A family Affair (with buffy and jody)?I dream of Jeannie? Bewitched??Just curious what you all watched and liked back then. I've been seeing some oldies at the library and it's fun. I also remember loving Miss Beasley the grandmother doll that buffy talked to all the time. I remembered losing it in a house fire we had back in the 70's and just a few yrs. ago I reminded my sister of that and she found Miis Beasley in some catalog and sent it to me. I laughed so hard. smile
    Look forward to hearing some of your favorite t.v. shows of the past.

1. jenb0128 profile image91
      jenb0128posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was a late 70s and early 80s kid. My faves were The Muppet Show, Mork and Mindy, Happy Days, and The Dukes of Hazzard.

moneyfairyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh yesI remember Mork and Mindy( I wonder if that was one of the first shows of Robin Willams career?) and Happy Days I loved Potsie and the Richie  smile fun memories...thanks

1. jenb0128 profile image91

Yep, that was where Robin Williams got his start! He first played Mork on an episode of Happy Days, but the character was so popular that he got his own show.

I know far too much about this... haha.

Wow I didn't know he was on Happy Days first!!! Cool! smile

2. Meg Davis profile image67
        Meg Davisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes!  Muppet Show and Dukes are two of my faves!

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcF9JSxkUSE

I think that you must have grown up in Britain is that right? or possibley a PBS t.v. showing. I don't ever remember seeing this one. Thanks for sharing your memeories of the past smile

Oh Scotland I see from your page. I loved my visit to Scotland , I went to the Island of Iona, very peaceful retreat. Have you visited there?

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's beautiful there. I was actually born on Mull, the neighbouring island.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7212955_f248.jpg

Very cool!!! I also took a fishing boat to Fingals cave and they had a folk lore that if you sit on the wishing chair on Fingals cave that one out of your 3 wishes comes true. Did you ever go to fingals cave and make a wish on the wishing chair? Did it ever come true?

1. IzzyM profile image86

Not me.

I think I visited Fingal's Cave once as a little girl, from a boat.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7216654_f248.jpg

Actually as a little girl we never had a TV as there was no reception where we lived. But I did get to see some programs in other people's houses.

I was about 12 before we actually got TV.

Fingals cave was an awesome place but we only had a short time then had to get back down to the boat again....I would have liked to have spent the day there and good on you for not having t.v. when you were young it probably helped you use your creativity and imagination alot more. Did you write back then? journal or make up stories?Did you play lots of games or learn an instrument? piano or guitar or sing?

1. IzzyM profile image86

Oh man this thread is going so off-topic!

Yes I learned piano, and yes I started a local newsletter when I was about 8 or something. I think I made about 3 of them. Didn't have a typewriter, never mind a photocopier or anything else, so each copy had to carefully hand-written, and all drawings had to be copied by hand. LOL

I wish someone had kept one of them. I have no recollection now of what was written on them.

I remember all the adults smiling. I thought they were happy...now I think they probably just thought I was mad!

I grew up so at one with nature, I thought everyone knew what I knew. I could name every wildflower in the area, and every seashell on the coast.

It took me years to realise how privileged I really was, and of course over the years I have forgotten more than I learned.

I still have a vivid recollection of the news coming over the radio that John F Kennedy had been shot dead.

Probably because I got slapped for speaking when all the adults were listening intently!

That was when I first learned about the electric chair, and vowed never to set foot in a country so savage that used such a horrible device.

I had nightmare for weeks!

And no I never did get to the States.

Sorry Izzy M for going off topic, you are just facinating. Thank you for sharing your childhood memories,you were a very blessed person. What an interesting life, you've had. This thread was meant to bring up memories from childhood and t.v. shows etc... but glad it has invoked good memories for all. Except of course for your horrible memories of Kennedy being shot and you being slapped....sorry for that....didn't mean to stir up that in you. I'll stay on subject now. Thanks!!!smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I remember that smile

I always loved Doctor Who

I 've heard of Dr. Who but never seen it.

2. jenb0128 profile image91

Some of the Doctor Who stories scared me when I was a kid but I LOVE Doctor Who now!  *curses the wait until Christmas for new episodes* I'll have to rent some of the old ones to watch in the meantime.

3. Meg Davis profile image67
      Meg Davisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ohmygosh!  Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men!  In my teens I starred in some truly awful films for schoolkids about peer pressure and the like and some of the grips were British and used to sing the theme song to that show to me to make me giggle!  Thanks for the nostalgia bump!

You're welcome smile Glad to oblige!

3. JakeFrost profile image60
    JakeFrostposted 11 years ago

How young are we talking?

As a teenager I would say I loved friends, well lets face it... Who doesn't love friends. I still watch it everyday!

Well Jack as a child or as far back as you can remember. Like Sesame Street or...like that....
      Friends is always good!!! I love Phoebe's character she is so funny.

1. JakeFrost profile image60
        JakeFrostposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I'm still quite young myself, I remember shows like 'Bear in the big blue house' but I wasn't really one for tv. I loved my films, I could watch 'Monsters Inc.' or 'The Lion King' over and over, the lion king still brings a tear to my eye :')

How young are you? Like 16?

No, a little older... I'm 20 <wow I just realised that's the first time I've said my age on HP, you should feel privileged smile

Thank you Jake for the honor!!! smile

Haha, you're more than welcome smile

smile

4. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

We didn't have tv when I was young.  My father refused to buy one.  I would go to my cousins' house to watch 77 Sunset Strip... I loooved "Kookie" (Edd Byrnes).  My two cousins and I would scream and pretend to faint whenever he combed his hair. 

Those were the days, my friend....

LOL wink great!

5. Backwater Sage profile image58
    Backwater Sageposted 11 years ago

It is a toss-up . . .  the Adams Family and Flipper.

http://youtu.be/azEOeTX1LqM

LOL Adams family was very funny and we used to make up funny lyrics for the theme song smile Uncle Fester and the light bulb smile

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Great nostalgic thread!
    The favorite that jumps out for me is "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers."
    Like Man From Uncle, it featured two hunka heroes: a blond and a brunette.
    (even as a chaste young lass, I had could never choose. LOL).
    In this case, David Soul and Bobby Sherman.
    And a feisty redhead heroine played by Bridget Hanley.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I loved Man from Uncle, especially Illya. I had a thing for Russians when I was a kid, I also liked Yuri Gagarin smile  My sister had a crush on David Soul, I once sent a fan letter to him saying I was her smile  I remember watching. It was actually called Here Come the Brides.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

David Soul = awesome. That's funny about writing him the letter!
        I like Robert Vaughan, too.
        Yes, I got the name wrong. Thanks for the correction.
        Here Come the Brides. It's based on the play/movie Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
        I would probably find it really silly now.

Pretty radical to like Russians during the Cold War. Wow!
        Did you like Boris and Natasha, too?
        smile

I was in Scotland at the time. We weren't all that caught up in the cold war smile

2. moneyfairy profile image60

Thanks Mighty Mom, Glad it bought back fun memories!!!
      Univitied Writer: Where in Scotland did you live at the time? Did you ever get to Iona?

7. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

The Benny Hill Show!

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpRruu5JtlBP5jn3uKnPRzvBdpeyiWrGgXo0TX_ikYDOAIsG_i

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great pick, RB!
      The themesong came right into my head and I laughed out loud!

I loved Benny Hill and I too heard the theme song in my head LOL LOL

8. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

Little House on the Priarie and Painton Place.

We got Peyton Place in Scotland, I vaguely remember my mother watching it smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was only little (honest smile) the reason why I watched it was because my mother watched it and I got really into it. lol Funny, I also read Valley of the dolls when I was about nine years old (pinched it from my mum's bedside table) I thought it was fantastic! I'd love to read and review that book now I'm older... Will seek copy tomorrow.

I loved Little House, Laura Ingalls !!!

9. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

My brain was totally rotted by "The Space Giants" when I was very small. It made Ultra Man look like high art.

Then I matured and moved onto Star Blazers and animated Star Trek.

Never heard of Space Giants glad you like it though smile

10. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

My all time favorites growing up were Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy.  As I became an older kid, I loved the original Beauty and the Beast series (with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman), and two sitcoms from CBS:  Evening Shade and Brooklyn Bridge.

Oh I loved Laverne &Shirley too smile never heard of the others though but gald you enjoyed going down memory lane smile

11. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

..the wonderful world of walt disney...sunday nights

I love Walt Disney!!! I wonder what more he would have created if he were still alive. Awesome imagination he  had!!!

12. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

My favorite TV show as a kid was Bonanza, the Western about the Cartwright boys from the Ponderosa.

13. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

I also LOVED Rawhide which starred a very young Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates, the cattle drover. We girls all had a crush on him!

smile Glad to help you bring back good memories !

14. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I loved Little House on the Prairie, Happy Days and Fury (the story of a horse and the boy who loved him, lol).

Yes Little House was great!!!

15. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

Seventy-seven Sunset Strip with Ephrim Zimbalest Jr.   It had a great theme-music opening.  Another heart-throb for the teenage girls was Kookie Byrne.  Long time ago.  However, T.V didn't arrive in Australia until 1956.   Lot of cowboy series on, too, those days. Cheyne, Have Gun, Will Travel. Rawhide and such.  But 77 was my favourite.

Thanks for sharing and remembering!!!

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Tom,
      Yes, I remember this show and the theme song! Kookie, Edd Byrnes, was so cool and, not only did the girls have crushes on him, every guy wanted that "quiff" of hair to comb. Remember the song, "Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb." Thanks for the stroll down memory lane:)

16. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I loved Star Trek when William Shatner was Captain Kirk.

Their uniforms were all shades of grey. What an eye-opener colour TV was when you saw the real colours of them.

I knew alot of Treckie fans smile

17. hubzer profile image61
    hubzerposted 11 years ago

It is hard to forget Batman for me."Holycrap Batman you know everything."No Robin, there is  a few things i do not know."

smile boys will be boys LOL smile Glad it bought back some fun memories for you smile

18. ocbill profile image54
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

Get Smart

19. Jamesdawn profile image61
    Jamesdawnposted 11 years ago

My favorite TV Shows are:

Switched at Birth
    How I met Your Brother
    2 Broke Girls
    South Park

I watch these TV Show online at  http://motionempire.com/  . This is the best website to watch latest Episodes of Your Favorite TV Shows .

Jamesdawn: I meant the shows you watched when you were a child not the ones that are on t.v. now,but thank you for sharing your favorites now, glad you enjoy them.

20. shin_rocka04 profile image67
    shin_rocka04posted 11 years ago

My childhood consisted of the ABC TGIF line up so shows like Full House and Family Matters were definite favorites.

Thanks for sharing your favorites!!!

21. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

"Lost In Space"

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/sites/nationalenquirer.com/files/imagecache/node_page_image/article_images/lis_story.jpg

1. SimpleJoys profile image69
      SimpleJoysposted 11 years agoin reply to this

AS a kid I remember "lost in space" and my most favorite "Star Trek" Hey, live long and prosper, right? As a teen I remember my whole family rolling with laughter to Archie Bunker in All In The Family".

Oh yes I remember Lost in Space wow seems like a lifetime ago smile
      thanks for sharing and remembering!!!

22. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 11 years ago

"The Munsters"
    "Gilligan's Island"
    "I Love Lucy"
    "Dick Van Dyke Show"
    "Three Stooges"  (came on in the morning before school)

Oh wow I had forgotten about gilligans Island  and I loved I Love Lucy!!! thanks for the memories!!!

23. profile image0
    apimentel33posted 11 years ago

Rocko's Modern Life
    Rugrats
    Hey Arnold

Don't remember any of those you mentioned but thanks for sharing your favorites!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)