Do You Feel Django Unchained was a racist film that glorified slavery?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image81
    Stevennix2001posted 3 years ago

According to various sources, legendary Hollywood director, Spike Lee, has openly condemned Tarantino's new film; citing that it's not only a racist portrayal of slavery in America, but he plans to boycott it as well, as he deems it too offensive to his ancestors. 

Now, what do you guys think?  Was Django Unchained a racist movie that glorified slavery, and offensive to all African Americans?  Or do you think Spike Lee's opinions are completely off base?  Please discuss.

2. FrankDeeDubya profile image59
    FrankDeeDubyaposted 3 years ago

I didn't find it offensive. These things really took place in American history and to ignore it is ignorant. Just because Quentin Tarantino is white doesn't take away his talent or right to make a film like this; if anything being white entitles him to accurately depict racism from a point of view that is somewhat unbiased. I loved Django Unchained and think it one of his best films ever.

1. Stevennix2001 profile image81
      Stevennix2001posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well you do bring up some good points there.  I personally didn't think the film was racist, nor did I think it ever glorified slavery, as all the pro slavery supporters in the film were portrayed as selfish ignorant a-holes; while the ones that were anti-slavery were portrayed as sympathetic characters.  Therefore, I don't see how anyone would think the film glorifies slavery, but then again, that's just me.

I agree with you that this is arguably one of Tarantino's best films, as I can't wait to buy the DVD of this whenever it comes out. 

Although the thing that gets me about Spike Lee is that he even admitted that he's never seen the movie, yet he still criticizes the film anyway.  Oh well, I do think Spike has a right to his own opinions, but I just respectfully disagree with it.