How do you feel about Han Solo and Boba Fett getting solo films?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 11 years ago

As everyone probably already knows, Disney now owns the film rights to Star Wars.  Although it's alredy been confirmed that a new trilogy is on the way for the franchise; while being directed by JJ Abrams (the director of the recent "Star Trek" reboot, and the upcoming "Star Trek Into Darkness"). 

However, according to imdb, it seems Disney is planning a couple of spin off films based on Star Wars.  One of them is centered around the iconic character, Boba Fett, in his own bounty hunter adventure in a  galaxy far far away.  And the one, it focuses on the origins of a young Han Solo, which would mean that they'll probably end up recasting that part obviously.   Therefore, what do you hubbers think?  Good idea?  Bad idea?  Or simply don't give a damn?  Comment below and let me know. 

Also, if you want to put down who you think should play a young Han Solo, then please mention that as well, as I'm curious to see who you guys would suggest.  smile

1. Grinning Gremlin profile image86
      Grinning Gremlinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I think that Star Wars hasn't exactly done too well with recasting iconic roles in prequels. I don't think that this one will necessarily do it any better. Plus, it was easier to recast Darth Vader, because the majority of his screen time in the original was behind a mask. Han Solo, on the other hand, was Han Solo in part because of the bravado that Harrison Ford brought to the role. That would be pretty hard to replicate without coming off as forced.

As for a Boba Fett film...that might be alright, but I don't see it being all that great either. He's an interesting character, but I'm not sure that they could pull off a whole film centering around him.

2. Geekdom profile image88
    Geekdomposted 11 years ago

I am not thrilled about the idea for Han Solo for a couple reason.  The books have filled in a lot of his back story and I feel like the movies will probably ignore and change up established canon. Also, Harrison Ford is Han Solo. I did not like Pine as Kirk for that same reason. There was nothing Pine could have done.
    Since a lot of Boba Fett is a mystery and no actor is associated with him, I would be ok with his spin off series.

3. Garlonuss profile image78
    Garlonussposted 11 years ago

If you had asked me in 1995 about a Boba Fett origin movie, I would probably have said "Sounds like it could be interesting." But after the prequel trilogy (and replacing Jason Wingreen's voice with the decidedly less interesting voice of Temuera Morrison in the originals) I'm just not that interested in him any more.
    And Han Solo already has his own series of movies. It's the Indiana Jones series.
    You can't have Harrison Ford play a younger solo, and unless you can get him back to play Solo in the years after Return of the Jedi, I just don't really want them to try.
    Now that being said, there's always the possibility that someone could come by with a great idea for a movie, the perfect actor put in the role, and plenty of talent and luck, and they could pull off the impossible.
    For right now, though, I'm just not interested in seeing them try something they'll probably not pull off.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Coincidentally, I happen to be reading a "Star Wars" novel right now that happens to be a Boba Fett solo adventure ("The Mandalorian Armor," book 1 of "The Bounty Hunter Wars" by K.W. Jeter) and I'm enjoying the heck out of it, so I wouldn't be against a whole film starring Fett. He's bad-ass.

I had heard that one of the films under consideration was a Yoda solo film, which I'm not crazy about. Listening to Yoda speak in his characteristic backwards sentences for an entire movie would probably get annoying after only a few minutes.

Then again, it could be worse, it could be "Star Wars Origins: Jar Jar Binks" ("Mee-sa gots my own movie!")

1. Geekdom profile image88
      Geekdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I read that one, it is good.  If you are looking for another fun Star Wars novel there was Tales of the Bounty Hunter (I think that is the name) that are short stories about the different Bounty Hunters in the Star Wars Universe.

5. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 11 years ago

I think a Han Solo movie could be good. They could show his early career, how he went to the Imperial Academy, how he decided to bail on the Empire, how he and Chewie met, lots of good backstory there.

As for a Boba Fett movie, I dunno. Boba Fett's a pretty one-dimensional character. His main characteristic is that he's a badass. That's great for a recurring villain, but seriously, what's he like? (He has a jetpack!) Okay, but who are his friends? (He has a missile-launcher in his jetpack!) Sure, sure, but what does he want out of life? (He has a thingy in his wrist-guard that can shoot out a cord to tie you up!) Yeah, yeah, but does he have a girlfriend? Or boyfriend? Or someone he wants to be his girl/boyfriend? (He's too badass for love!)

I'm just not seeing it.

Same with Yoda. I love Master Yoda, but he's too much of a flat character to base a whole movie around. Unless you want to go waaaay back to Yoda's youth, before he became a Jedi master. And really, in ep2, his lightsaber style was a bit comical to watch. It reminded me of Kermit the Frog on Muppet Treasure Island. I expected Yoda to say to Darth Tyrannus, "For an amphibian, not bad I am."

I'd be glad to be proven wrong with a brilliant Boba Fett movie or a stunning Yoda movie. But holding my breath I am not.

6. thebiologyofleah profile image67
    thebiologyofleahposted 11 years ago

I think if they were done correct, they could be good. Unfortunately that is the problem with the Star Wars franchise, there was so much potential with the prequel trilogy and it just didn't deliver.  A serious reboot of the franchise could be great-including these origin stories the way X-men and Avengers are doing them-but if they are in the wrong hands then they'll be cheesy and a major let down. I think a young Han Solo story would be cool to see if cast right and if the story was good. I don't know about Boba Fett though- I think some other posts have mentioned this but part of what makes him so cool is that we don't know much about him. Taking away that mystery might not be a good thing.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I think they can make a Boba Fett movie without necessarily taking away the mystery about him as long as they're smart about it.  I mean look at the original 1989 Batman movie; which was kind of an origin story.  They showed you just enough about the character to know who he was, but at the same time, they left out just enough about him to where he was still a mystery to audiences.  Therefore, the same thing can be done with Boba Fett, as long as they're smart about it, and don't try to over explain everything like Fox did with "X-Men Origins:  Wolverine."

7. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 11 years ago

This is the sickening sell out situation that is an obvious ploy to make more money, but I actually don't think that these 2 characters would be good ideas for stand alone movies. Because Hans Solo will always be Harrison Ford and he's too old now unless they do a geriatric Hans Solo with much needed walking stick that doubles as a Millenium Falcon size assault rifle. Boba Fett was cool as a kid, but the appeal of him was this mysterious bounty hunter who was great up until he amusingly fell in the Sarlacc pit in Return of the Jedi.

I think they are best off concentrating on new story ideas with what they have after the classic Star Wars....plunder the books for ideas to develop.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well to be fair, that's part of the problem. Although I know many fans will blame disney for not following the established expanded universe star wars stories, but the reality is that not even lucas acknowledges them, as he even said himself that he lost track of those a long time ago.

Based on what I found out so far, the new star wars trilogy will not be based on any of the expanded universe stuff, as its going to be based more around the cliff notes that Lucas wrote years ago about where he'd like to take the franchise if he ever did make more star wars movies.  Kathleen Kennedy, the new president of lucasarts, even said she wants to bring Lucas on board as creative consultant, and wants to take star wars exactly where lucas would've envisioned.

the sad reality is that I think if lucas was directing the new trilogy himself, then over half the fans would be okay with him NOT following the expanded story lines because lets be honest...ALL FANS gave him a pass on everything.  Hell, the prequels proved that.  In fact, I even read some fans say, "It's his creation, so how can he be ruining his own s***?  So he can do whatever he wants with it."  The sad reality is that JJ abrams or any other director won't have that leniency with fans. 

I just hope J.J. Abrams will be given enough creative control to where he can not only include some of Lucas' original ideas, but also incorporate some of his own like including the expanded universe stuff, so he can appease both parties. 

if not, then i feel really sorry for any filmmaker working on Star Wars because they won't get the same love and leniency from fans that Lucas got.

8. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 11 years ago

This is all very bad.  Anyone who has been a Star Wars fan since the first movie came out knows there is a different vibe associated with Star Wars than any other movie franchise.  I have a strong feeling that will be lost with remaking three more flicks.  Almost certainly it will be gone with character spin-off movies. 

Disney already seems like they're being extremely irresponsible with the Star Wars legacy.  Though I'm sure they will attract a lot younger views with their money-making projects, I think the next decade or so will be a sad time for old-school fans.

9. Draper Grey profile image59
    Draper Greyposted 11 years ago

If a viewer comes to watch something with preconceptions and expectations that he is almost certain to be disappointed. harrison ford made an solo thats true, but that doesn't mean another actor couldn't do a good job and maybe create another versoin of han solo that is equal to or even surpasses the original performance. pine did an excellent job playing captain kirk. if we compare the two objectively pine may have been lived even more if they swapped, "who played him first." the point is an emotional attachment to an iconic character's actor, that prevents a person from enjoying the new representation, will always lead to disagreement and disappointment. this perception would seems to also prefer to leave these characters in the past, which invariably would invariably prevent new audiences from enjoying them the we did wen we were young(er)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)