jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

I cannot choose what song to sing for the pageant! I need help!

1. ShaydeShaffer profile image60
    ShaydeShafferposted 3 years ago

I compete in my local Miss America pageant - Miss Vermont, and for my talent I think I have chosen the song for me, but I just don't think I have found the song that says "I'm Shayde, and I'm here to win!". I am an alto with belt and I listen to all genres so throw anything at me! Thank you to all of those, in advance, who will help me!

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Best of success to you!

2. wrenfrost56 profile image83
    wrenfrost56posted 3 years ago

Oh wow this is a tough one, there are just too many good songs out there. Were you thinking of something new or older? Pop or rocky or literally anything? Good luck with the pageant btw, I'll go and put my thinking cap on and get back to you on that one. smile

3. FaithDream profile image86
    FaithDreamposted 3 years ago

I would suggest singing something that you feel an emotion towards. Something that stirs your heart, deep in your soul. Something you can connect with... If you feel that, the listeners will feel it too. They will connect.

Also, sing something that stretches your voice. If you know what works for you, then go with it, but also take a little risk and challenge yourself. Good luck to you.

4. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Approach this suggestion with extreme caution. Do not attempt unless you are really sure you can do it. Do not attempt unless you are really sure it fits in with the whole situation. There is no middle ground here... It will either be a major, major hit. Or it will be the most embarrassing flop of your life. You have nothing to prove to anyone. So make your decision based solely on the circumstances and on your honest analysis of your abilities. To put it another way... If this suggestion was made to me, I know my singing abilities and would run away as fast as possible. big_smile

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
    To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
    To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
    To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
    To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
    To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
    To try ... when your arms are too weary ...
    To reach ... the unreachable star ...

This is my quest,
    to follow that star ...
    No matter how hopeless,
    no matter how far ...

To fight for the right,
    without question or pause ...
    To be willing to march into Hell,
    for a Heavenly cause ...

And I know if I'll only be true,
    to this glorious quest,
    That my heart will lie peaceful and calm,
    when I'm laid to my rest ...

And the world will be better for this:
    That one man (woman), scorned and covered with scars,
    Still strove, with his (her) last ounce of courage,
    To reach ... the unreachable star ...

The Impossible Dream Lyrics
    by Musical "Man of La Mancha"
    Lyrics by Joe Darion

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This is a beautiful tune and lyric and I think it could be done by an alto. Always one of my favorites to hear in any concert.

5. LisaMarie724 profile image85
    LisaMarie724posted 3 years ago

I do not really like country but as soon as I read your question the song "Jolene" by Dolly Parton came to my mind which is really strange.

6. 80
    pgornerposted 3 years ago

Ms. Vermont...you have the greatest band in the last 30 years in your own backyard. They're called Phish, and yes I know I know...but don't think of all the hippies, they have a dozen or so songs that are actually like...pretty. Harmonious and all that. Like "If I Could". Alison Krauss sang on that one.