jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Who Is The Greatest Blues Guitarist Of All Time?

1. PhoenixV profile image79
    PhoenixVposted 3 years ago

Who Is The Greatest Blues Guitarist Of All Time?

1. 59
      whoisitposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Muddy Waters/Stevie Ray Vaughan/T-Bone walker

2. The Public Image profile image94
      The Public Imageposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Like many other people who have posted here, I don't think there's a single "greatest" player of the blues. But if I had to choose, I'd personally say either Robert Johnson, Hubert Sumlin or Elmore James.

2. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 3 years ago

B.B. King

3. The0NatureBoy profile image78
    The0NatureBoyposted 3 years ago

The ones named are great but I don't know if there is a "greatest of all times" player.  Bobby Blue Bland had one during the 1970s, I never knew his name, who was as great as any I've ever heard.   Johnny Taylor has had some mighty fine players also, so I don't think it's possible to say there is a "greatest of all times" blues guitarist.

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 3 years ago

These are always tough questions to answer..  I think Robert Johnson was one of the greatest because of his influence on other great blues guitarists.  Definitely I would place BB King near the top.  Another one that didn't have too much attention in the US, but was one of the greats is Luther Allison

I listened to a lot of blues during my teen years, and was able to meet both BB King and Luther Allison when I worked for a non-profit organization that booked bands in the central Illinois area.  I also had contact with the now very famous (wealthy) Irving Azoff who managed our bookings.

5. Act 3 profile image90
    Act 3posted 3 years ago

I don't think there is one "greatest of all time." In addition to those already mentioned, Buddy Guy would be in the top 5 or 10.

6. e-five profile image94
    e-fiveposted 3 years ago

Magic Sam and Bo Diddley deserve a mention.

7. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 3 years ago

all of the above...there are several

8. PaulGoodman67 profile image92
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago

Albert King, in my opinion.  His technique was unorthodox (to say the least) but he was difficult to match for emotional intensity at his peak.

9. 59
    whoisitposted 3 years ago
  10. Reality Bytes profile image93
    Reality Bytesposted 3 years ago

Don't know if he is the greatest, but Alvin Lee is one of my favorites.