jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Who Is The Greatest Blues Guitarist Of All Time?

1. PhoenixV profile image81
    PhoenixVposted 4 years ago

Who Is The Greatest Blues Guitarist Of All Time?

1. profile image59
      whoisitposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Muddy Waters/Stevie Ray Vaughan/T-Bone walker

2. The Public Image profile image92
      The Public Imageposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Like many other people who have posted here, I don't think there's a single "greatest" player of the blues. But if I had to choose, I'd personally say either Robert Johnson, Hubert Sumlin or Elmore James.

2. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 4 years ago

B.B. King

3. The0NatureBoy profile image74
    The0NatureBoyposted 4 years ago

The ones named are great but I don't know if there is a "greatest of all times" player.  Bobby Blue Bland had one during the 1970s, I never knew his name, who was as great as any I've ever heard.   Johnny Taylor has had some mighty fine players also, so I don't think it's possible to say there is a "greatest of all times" blues guitarist.

4. rebekahELLE profile image89
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

These are always tough questions to answer..  I think Robert Johnson was one of the greatest because of his influence on other great blues guitarists.  Definitely I would place BB King near the top.  Another one that didn't have too much attention in the US, but was one of the greats is Luther Allison

I listened to a lot of blues during my teen years, and was able to meet both BB King and Luther Allison when I worked for a non-profit organization that booked bands in the central Illinois area.  I also had contact with the now very famous (wealthy) Irving Azoff who managed our bookings.

5. Act 3 profile image89
    Act 3posted 4 years ago

I don't think there is one "greatest of all time." In addition to those already mentioned, Buddy Guy would be in the top 5 or 10.

6. e-five profile image95
    e-fiveposted 4 years ago

Magic Sam and Bo Diddley deserve a mention.

7. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

all of the above...there are several

8. PaulGoodman67 profile image89
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

Albert King, in my opinion.  His technique was unorthodox (to say the least) but he was difficult to match for emotional intensity at his peak.

9. profile image59
    whoisitposted 4 years ago
  10. Reality Bytes profile image91
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

Don't know if he is the greatest, but Alvin Lee is one of my favorites.

working