jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Thoughts on the Recorder

1. talfonso profile image90
    talfonsoposted 3 years ago

On Tumblr, I reblogged a picture of a recorder with the bold letters asking this question, "How the (expletive) did this help my education?" I explained that this woodwind instrument from elementary school conditioned me to play the clarinet in middle school.

I think that my music class back in school when I was still living in New Jersey started on the instrument back in third grade. Even though I wasn't that good at it, I started to fall in love with it. It was pure bliss, despite the hooting and squealing around me.

Fourth grade had no recorder lessons once I moved to Florida, but fifth grade made me fell in love with it again. It wasn't the fingering that enthralled me, but it was the sheer pleasure of blowing into that instrument. I had cable TV, and my public access channel had an arts block called Classic Arts Showcase. That's when I saw Michaela Petri perform a recorder concerto I think was by Vivaldi. A recorder concerto. It really just blew me away. I really began seeing the repertoire beyond "Hot Cross Buns" and "Au Claire De Lune!"

I heard stories on the Web about the recorder being evil. They think that it's a Satanic summon or something that actually makes migraines instead of something that makes music. This is enough to consider buying a recorder from the music store and teaching myself to relearn it and expand my horizons! I don't think other people's criticism of the instrument would stop me from listening to classical music featuring it or to take it up myself. I acknowledge those remarks and appreciate their opinions, though?

What do you think about the recorder? Did you play it in school and enjoyed it like I did or did you did so and despised it? Why?

talfonsoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sorry for the misspelling - it's Michala Petri. But please share your opinions on that instrument!

2. writinglover profile image82
    writingloverposted 3 years ago

I also played this instrument in the fourth grade. I didn't like it at first, but as time progressed, I began to love it even more. Even now, as a twenty-three year old, I still love it. I'll play with it every now and then whenever I get the chance. Good times...

talfonsoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Wow! That's a great accomplishment! Well, I'm happy that you love playing the recorder. When I have the money and time, I'll take it up, despite the fact that some quality instruments are under $10!