jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

Great Gatsby

1. faraujo120 profile image61
    faraujo120posted 4 years ago

What did everyone think of the 2013 remake of Great Gatsby?  I recently saw it and would like to hear what others have to say about it. Please post your Great Gatsby comments here. Thanks!

1. Simone Smith profile image92
      Simone Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Loved it! It was self indulgent and rather like Marie Antoinette regarding anachronisms and music choices.

Moving this thread to the Entertainment and Media Topic so that it might more easily be found. big_smile

faraujo120posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you  smile

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, it was beautiful, like the earlier movie, but it was the same old depressing story. A bunch of rich, self obsessed addicts, hell bent on living their lives free from morals and decency.... but they had really nice clothes. smile

Hahahahhaa on the clothes part.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I haven't seen it yet. I have heard they gave Nick a back story of being a recovering alcoholic, I don't particularly like that. I have heard that Carey Mulligan is the perfect Daisy.

I didn't think Carey Mulligan was right for the role of Daisy. For some reason, I envisioned someone else as Daisy.

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 4 years ago

It completely misses the point.

The novel is a harsh criticism of the excess and lavishness and decadence of the 1920s, yet the new film glorifies the hell out of it, making Gatsby's delusion and flamboyance appealing rather than appalling.

I also read that many critics say that Luhrman always makes a mess of classic productions because his films are never "on point" they flip flop all over the place so I do see your point.

3. Burm profile image59
    Burmposted 4 years ago

I haven't seen the original one but I like the way they incorporated new music to make it a more up to date version. It is indeed the same story from the book but was very appealing to the eyes. Their advanced use of CGI was amazing! The acting was on par as well. It is always irritating when you can tell the actors are acting but they did a wonderful job and over all it was a great experience.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Spot on, old sport.

Thank you!

2. faraujo120 profile image61

You have to see the original in order to make accurate comparisons. I always say that you can't remake a classic. I believe good movies, classic, timeless movies, should not be redone. But the film makers see dollar signs and they go ahead and remake it anyway and then the classic tale or novel or film is forgotten.  I have yet to see a remake of a film that they get right. There are just too many inconsistencies to these remakes. Don't you agree?

4. perrya profile image80
    perryaposted 4 years ago

Its a remake of the same old story. No appeal to me, but EVERYONE should see Disconnect!!!, it is a sleeper film much like Silver Linings-extraordinary film.

Haven't seen Silver Linings, although my husband would enjoy it he is a huge eagles fan.

working