Message or Entertainment

1. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 7 years ago

There are two schools of thought concerning cinema:

#1. Primary purpose of good cinema is Entertainment (it should not preach)

#2. Cinema without an underlying message is meaningless.

What is your opinion? You might say, well, a good movie should entertain as well as convey a message! But I want to know what do YOU watch a movie for: Entertainment or a Message?

2. THE LIP profile image60
    THE LIPposted 7 years ago

I guess Entertainment that does not go in any direction is meaningless.Just as a Message forced down your throat is barely warranted.So what is the big deal if you walk in the middle of the road.Let films be entertaining while giving a subtle message that is low key yet very much there. In many ways I actually love films that have an open ending.That way the director leaves you the liberty to interpret how the film should wrap up according to you and sends everyone home happy.
    I truly feel that if a director has a genuine passion for what he is translating on screen without being forced to compromise by the economic forces then he is bound to make a film that shall be accepted by people.In anycase at the end of the day you cannot please everybody.So to each their own. I hate any society that needs the crutches of moral policing.Once you're a normal adult it is your fundamental right to choose what you want from life and not have narrow minded bigots forcing their sick visions upon you.
    So you decide what you want entertainment or preaching in cinema so that at the end of the day you do not feel cheated.
    The Lip