jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Best way to watch anime.

1. LofZOdyssey profile image59
    LofZOdysseyposted 2 years ago

So what is the best way to watch anime?  With English dubs or with English subs?

1. aliasis profile image96
      aliasisposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Doesn't it depend entirely on the Japanese actors and English actors? Whichever set is better, I reckon.

That being said, I tend to prefer dubs (if they are good) just because English is my first language, and I can understand the nuances of the acting and dialogue, as well as not have subtitles covering part of the screen. On the other hand, because I was native, bad English acting was more painful. Before I could speak any Japanese, I wouldn't have been able to tell if the acting was good or bad, therefore I could just accept it. Now that I speak and study Japanese, I sometimes watch anime in Japanese, but the acting isn't necessarily better. Sometimes, sometimes not.

Any shrill, nasal obnoxious female acting causes an immediate switch to the other language, if available. Japanese loves those horrible voices, too, so... I also notice that Japanese rarely cast actual boys for boy roles, instead casting women. That's why, for example, I much preferred FMA in English.

but yeah. depends on the anime, really. Whichever is better.

2. SomeEldarGuy profile image76
    SomeEldarGuyposted 2 years ago

I prefer subs over dubs, yes it takes some getting used to, but what really sold it for me was the difference in quality between sub and dub for Toaru Majutsu no Index, I rarely find a dub I'd choose a dub over the sub; notable exceptions being Death Note, Clannad, Code Geass (except Nunally...), and Steins;Gate. Although I do keep an open mind between the two when I first watch a series, there is no 'best' way to watch anime, pick and choose on every series, however, in mine and most people's experiences, subs have a higher tendency to be better, and there are many animes without dubs.

3. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

I am far more willing to watch a good dub, but if the dub is not exactly great, then I go with the sub.

In fact, there are some series where I can't even watch the sub anymore, such as Fruits Basket and Black Lagoon.

1. LofZOdyssey profile image59
      LofZOdysseyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

There are only a few exceptions, but for me I always watch in subs.  Dubs always sound mismatched to me, so I can never feel immersed when watching.  And when I say that are few exceptions, there is only one exception; Drangonball.  I grew up on the dub and now anything else just doesn't sound right.

When I watch anime it is always subed.