jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

How do you feel about super villain movies being a possibility?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
    Stevennix2001posted 2 years ago

As some of you movie buffs know, it's been confirmed by Sony that not only will we get a Venom spin off film (not really that big of a shock), but we'll be getting a sinister six spin off movie as well.   This got me to thinking about a lot of things.

For those wondering who the sinister six are, they're basically a team of six members that are comprised of some of the greatest villains that spider-man has ever faced, and unless my memory fails me, they're brought together for the sole purpose of destroying spider-man. 

I'll be honest, I've always thought doing movies based on super villains from comic books would be interesting, but i never in a million years would've thought any studio would want to do one.  However, as we all know if Sinister Six is a giant hit at the box office, then that's going to open up a lot of possibilities in hollywood to make movies not only about superheroes, but about their villains as well.

Think about it.  If sinister six is a box office hit, then we could get a lot of great movies out of it.  Fans can finally have that loki solo film they've always wanted.  Dr. Doom could have an origin film.  Hell, you can even make a dark tragic love story about how the joker met harley quinn in arkham asylum, as the movie goes over their relationship.  That might be an interesting film to watch, as I'd definitely see that.  wouldn't you? 

Besides at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite because i love superhero movies so much, don't you think they're starting to get old?  I mean think about it.  A lot of superhero movies these days constantly retread and repeat the same damn story narrative archetypes that it's not even funny.  sure, there's a few original ones here and there, but not as many as we'd like to believe.  Therefore if the supervillain sub genre takes off with sinister six, then that'll open up a lot of possibilities. 

What do you guys think though?  Do you hope that the sinister six film will be a hit?  And if it does, then what supervillain movies would you like to see?  Please discuss

1. Paradise7 profile image86
      Paradise7posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't know, Steven.  I like the good guys to win.  On the other hand, you're so right--the superhero movies are quite predictable.  I think it depends on what happens in the end of the sinister six movie on how well it does.  People really don't want the bad guys to win in any kind of permanent way, I don't think.  And nobody wants good old Spidey to die, do they?

2. 0
      christiananrkistposted 2 years ago in reply to this

i would watch the one about the joker.could be an awesome movie. seems like the villain movies could be more dark and less child oriented, which i like. mephisto, doomsday, and bane would all make great movies.

2. vmartinezwilson profile image84
    vmartinezwilsonposted 2 years ago

I love villains.  I think basing a movie on a villain is a smart way for the industry to go. For a viewer, It's all a matter of changing the perspective.  The first villain movie to come out will actually be Maleficent.  If Maleficent is truly the protagonist, then there should be a drastic shift in storytelling.  For that, I'm excited!

3. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

There are already plenty of stories where the villains are a main focus and/or manage to succeed in their goals. Fate/Zero, Megamind, Final Fantasy VI, and Berserk come to mind right away.

This idea is not new.

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
      Stevennix2001posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Well to be fair, it's new for the superhero genre of movies.  Megamind technically doesn't count because it had a guy start off as a super villain, but he turned superhero at the end of it, so technically speaking it's a bit different.

2. 0
      christiananrkistposted 2 years ago in reply to this

maybe not all that new, but would still be cool to see more of them. especially with some of the more well known villains like joker.

4. Alphadogg16 profile image87
    Alphadogg16posted 2 years ago

While I have to agree with Paradise7, I don't think anyone wants to see Spidey, Superman, etc., to die, I think it would be interesting to see the rise & inevitable fall of the Super villains. Some of these super hero movies do repeat or don't even follow the comic book story line. I'm sure there are people who like the bad guys.