jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame 2014

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8583319.jpg

The 2014 inductees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have been announced, and they are:
    Nirvana
    KISS
    Hall & Oates
    Cat Stevens
    Peter Gabriel
    Linda Ronstadt

What do you think about the "Class of 2014?" Anyone who's read my hubs knows that I'm a major KISS fanboy so I'm thrilled to see that they've finally gotten the HOF nod. Nirvana are definitely worthy of induction, too.

1. Jodah profile image85
      Jodahposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Totally agree, especially with Cat Stevens and Peter Gabriel. Linda Ronstadt too as she unfortunately passed away recently. Overall good choice.

2. Alastar Packer profile image83
      Alastar Packerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good inductees here for 2014. Still wonder why an awesome British Ian Anderson and his band Jethro Tull and a great Southern country-rock band like Marshall Tucker have never been inducted. Sad to learn about Linda Ronstadt. She was such a big part of 70s music with multiple best-sellers as the other two mentioned.

3. bethperry profile image88
      bethperryposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Fantastic choices. I was disappointed to see Deep Purple didn't make it, but satisfied that some of the other greats did. I am a big KISS fan from way back, and very glad the HOF didn't compromise the award this year by inclusion of non-rock Rock star-wannabes.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94

Linda is still alive. She did, however, recently announce that she is battling Parkinsons Disease which has forced her to retire from performing

1. Jodah profile image85
      Jodahposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ok, sorry, got my wires crossed. Apologies to Linda.

3. animekid profile image81
    animekidposted 3 years ago

If Kiss are inducted, do they all show up? Personally this should be a moment that is expressly for the original four who started it all.

FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ideally it would be the original four, but since two of them (Ace and Peter) are no longer on good terms with the other two (Gene & Paul), who knows?

Gene Simmons did thank everyone who's ever been a member of KISS by name (even Vinnie Vincent!) on his Twitter feed this morning.

4. animekid profile image81
    animekidposted 3 years ago

Well that was very magnanimous of him wasn't it.

FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago in reply to this

For Gene, it is...especially since he's spent the last 30 years (ever since the original band split) downplaying Ace and Peter's part in their initial success....he's always had this "Paul and I were the straws that stirred the drink, Ace and Peter were just in the right place at the right time" attitude...hahaha.

1. bethperry profile image88
        bethperryposted 3 years ago in reply to this

One of these days Gene's going to trip over that big ego, lol. At least Paul Stanley has always shown character.

5. e-five profile image95
    e-fiveposted 3 years ago

I wrote a hub last year about Roxy Music's snub from the R&RHOF, which has now reached 17 years after their eligibility.  Congrats to Kiss fans, who were very vocal about being snubbed, but when it comes to Roxy Music, I really can't figure it out.  Is the R&RHOF selection process too American? (Roxy Music was much more popular in Europe and Internationally than in the US, but still had two platinum and several gold records).  How can they appreciate the influence of so many little known artists, but ingnore Roxy's huge influence on New Wave, Punk, and 80s Rock/Pop?

Here's the hub, if you're interested:  http://e-five.hubpages.com/hub/Roxy-Mus … ll-of-Fame

6. FatFreddysCat profile image94

Given that the Hall of Fame is US-based, I'd say that it's very America-centric.

All of the major inductees this year are American bands/performers. The two European nominees this year (Deep Purple and Yes) got skunked.

7. Zelkiiro profile image85
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

What? American judges are xenophobic?

I never would've guessed!

working