jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Is It Just Me or Are Radio Stations Getting Too Much Free Reign?

1. Heatherbaker profile image87
    Heatherbakerposted 2 years ago

A local station where I live posted something on Facebook that just made my blood run cold.  An ad for something they were doing on their night time shows, break up with your significant other live on the air.  While I understand they are geared towards a younger audience, I was absolutely appalled at this idea.

Did they not realize how humiliated that girl was going to be when her boyfriend broke up with her very publicly, and not only that, but on Valentine's Day as well?  Did it occur to them that she was going to be heartbroken and it was just going to be made worse by the fact that he did not even have the decency to do it to her face, much less in private?
    When did radio stations get the right to become bullies?  Seriously, is it just me or do these DJ's get a free pass to be jerks because one of them hopes to be as popular as Howard Stern?  Someone help me here... seriously!  I am at a loss.  I lost it and immediately told them that they are no better than a bunch of bullies, nobody deserved to be hurt like that with an audience of at least 1,000!  The post disappeared, and I am unsure if they have still aired it.
    Please tell me that in the least, if they did, the girl could sue the station for emotional pain and anguish!

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I can't imagine what law the girl could claim was being broken, so no I highly doubt she can sue for anything at all.

But from your post, I don't quite see why you think it would be a girl being hurt...

1. Heatherbaker profile image87
        Heatherbakerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Because they said that Evan was going to break up with his girlfriend on the air with the post

2. JonDIDit profile image61
    JonDIDitposted 2 years ago

We complain in forums like this but you need to take it to FACEBOOK   THE AIRWAVES BELONG TO YOU AND ME.   We LOAN them the right to use OUR airwaves AND  we should participate in their profits. Their non political ads are but  a small part of their profits, They made almost 3 BILLION in profits just on political ad in the last cycle which allows them to pay better bonuses than wallstreet and we still get screwed.  COMPLAIN but in the right place!!11

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Links please, showing 3B in profits on political ads in the last election?  Profits, not receipts...

1. JonDIDit profile image61
        JonDIDitposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I said almost ....That is the total of ALL licensees (telephone/robo calls; Radio, TV, Cable) to the FCC, City, state, DC and our  territories.  Then check the individuals as well as the AD agencies of these for what their bonuses were. If you think Les Moonves of CBS is worth about $23 MILLION as his "share" is worth that kind of money then send him your regards. They only make about a third or  half of that in non election years, not to mention the private jet, clothing, limo, unlimited expense accounts etc .  He even did a cameo on The golden globes that aired on his network but he already has a SAG Card because he was an actor 30 years ago. This took a job away from a working actor.  In election cycles if you are not annoyed by the hundreds of political ads in a day that are NOT CHEAP then I have no idea what floats your boat. They can be purchased in blocks of air time in advance  not so cheap that get more expensive as election day nears. Each outlet get a bonus depending on which side wins on top of their fees.  Fees are for 10 second, 15, & 30 spread over 24hours and can cost 500 each if purchased early and can rise to 5,000 nearer D-day.  Why don't you address the issue of our being paid for use of OUR air waves for a tiny fee that we don't even participate in?????????? Why shouldn't WE the people be included in those profits????