jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

culture, social media, youth, teenagers, parenting, role models

1. n0tsoaverage profile image61
    n0tsoaverageposted 2 years ago via iphone

This being my first post I am a little apprehensive on what I wanted to write about. I thought about it for a few minutes and I decided I wanted to write about my complete disgust for my generation as well as the future of the younger ones to come. I have realized that I am sure I cannot be the only one with this disgust so I see it as I am just stating what others are thinking.
    I am 3 years out of high school and should be attending college. I took a few wrong turns and haven't quite made it there yet but I am working towards it currently. On the rare occasion that I actually do check my Facebook timeline I am always bombarded with statuses about people of my same age or younger posting about their pregnancies/children. I am not one to judge nor would I ever put down young mothers but I can't help but think that somehow parents, teachers, school systems, and media have failed us. Apparently it is the norm to have a child or two before the age of twenty-one. Most high schools now even have daycares. How is has this become so accepted? Is it because we have grown up with role models that have to made the same decisions? Is it because parents rather not talk about these dangers with their children because it's uncomfortable. Either way I see the future of this country not being so bright.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Well, what is the problem, exactly?  Why are you so perturbed? I am perturbed because I believe that the mother is the best person to love her child. I am perturbed because the schools make it easy to leave a child in the care of someone else who is not even required at the preschool level to have a BA in child development. I am perturbed when Family is a haphazard arrangement rather than a very focused, purposeful arrangement. I am perturbed because children need to loved, nurtured and raised by at least one attentive, non-preoccupied parent. I am for going back to school and back to work once the child is in kindergarten. But, like you, I think it is best to get an education before having a child.
      Was that your concern?
      Maybe we need to make T shirts that say:
      "Step away from the Testosterone!" for the guys.
      "Step away from the eggs!" for the girls.
      "Just say No to Sex!" for either gender.

2. n0tsoaverage profile image61
    n0tsoaverageposted 2 years ago

Yes, my concern (which wasn't well stated) is that, my generation and even younger are bringing children into the world with no job, barely any education, and absolutely no drive or will power to get these things. Instead they work any menial job they can get and attempt to live off of that and if lucky government assistance. I do not want to look like a jerk or unsympathetic because I understand the fact that mistakes occur but  this occurs way to many times and people still are not trying to teach their children otherwise.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Mistakes?  I think modern girls are very savvy in the birth control department these days! I think they want the love and the sociableness (what could be a better word?) that comes with having a baby. They need to love so, they intentionally bring love into the world through a child. Hopefully, it is all good. Couldn't it be? I was very unready for a child, but the angels came and helped me every single day.(And the father stepped up to the plate, married me and worked hard. Our lives really did end up well.) We people just need to understand the gloriousness of every new being and provide the best we can for each and every one.

I do hope people realize the seriousness of bringing up a child. There is  great joy in doing so, but they are not toys to play with. They are not dolls. They are self-sacrifice and joyful hard work. And LOVE.