jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Any and All musicians please help !

1. ahorseback profile image55
    ahorsebackposted 2 years ago

Would anyone consider the DOBRO  or lap slide guitar and easier instrument to learn for hobby  playing  ?

1. 60
      (Q)posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Not really. Guitar is tough enough to learn, but playing slide is REALLY hard.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't know that answer, but I know we do have a resident guitar wizard on HP.  He has excellent tutorial hubs and may be able to help give suggestions.

2. Act 3 profile image91
    Act 3posted 2 years ago

I agree with Q, though learning a few chords on guitar is not too hard.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

Ahorseback, just pick up both instruments and get the heck learning. Get a tutor / Get a book / Go on line for tutorials, but find a lap Slide and a Dobro and go for it! ONWARD! In today's world we can learn anything we want. It is the name of the modern game. Once you get your instruments, get a keyboard and learn music theory and learn how and why the chords are constructed on the guitar and slide.
         Music comes from the heart. If you can play something you love to hear on one string… Thats  great!  (Thats how I got started on my bass electric guitar… one string, up and down the neck. lol! And also use your poetry to create lyrics and sing them to improvised melodies.) One other thing: the F and B chords are a bear. You feel all thumbs, but eventually the brain and hand unite. Just keep playing. Once a week with a teacher rain or shine is the best way to make progress.

4. Lorne Hemmerling profile image93
    Lorne Hemmerlingposted 2 years ago

Slide guitar requires correct placement of the slide on the fret to achieve the proper intonation. That is, if the slide is not in the proper place on the fret (situated over the fretwire on the bridge side), the note will sound out of tune. Plus there are some dampening techniques that need to be applied and quite often, alternate tunings. I would start with a normal guitar. Just my opinion though. Slide guitar is quite a bit like a violin, it easy to make it sound bad.