Favorite Anime Genres

1. Chelsea Mercado profile image61
    Chelsea Mercadoposted 2 years ago

What's your favorite anime genre(s)? Post below.

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

I used to think comedy was what I went for, but looking at my favorite anime, only a few are comedic--rather, most of my favorite stuff is soul-wrenching and/or horrific drama.

I also seem to have a penchant for fantasy series (Slayers, Fantastic Children, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Now and Then Here and There, Fate/Zero, Gungrave *kinda*, Berserk).

And then there's the more down-to-earth sorta-kinda-realistic stuff (Monster, CLANNAD ~After Story~, Gungrave *kinda*, Hajime no Ippo, Chihayafuru, Millennium Actress).

Really, the only comedies in my favorites lists are Slayers, Gurren Lagann *kinda*, Azumanga Daioh, Fruits Basket, and Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro. I love 'em to death, but they're but a few compared to the many.

So, to put it simply, I have a preference for drama, with a pretty even split between the more fantasy and realistic titles.

As for my least favorite genre? I'm cheating, because it's not an actual genre, but the moe craze that's raped the scene for the past decade is disgusting. I'm convinced that the only good anime to employ moe elements are The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, CLANNAD (and its sequel), Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and (to really stretch the definition of moe) Steins;Gate. Aside from those, there's pretty much nothing of any worth.

(For those who don't know what I mean by 'moe,' I'm talking about sugary-stupid head-tilting do-nothing bullshcrap like Lucky Star, K-On, OreImo, OreShura, Chuunibyou, and the like. Atrocious dreck, the lot of it--almost as reprehensible as harem anime.)