jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)

Why does Disney kill all its moms?

1. Sed-me profile image83
    Sed-meposted 2 years ago

You could count on one hand the list of Disney moms that survive to the credits. Why do you think so many moms are shot, maimed, and snuffed out when it comes to children's entertainment?

1. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

As with superheros, removing their normal support system forces them to be resourceful, setting the stage for the sensational means by which they will overcome their challenges to unfold.

Sed-meposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I read a quote that said something like, 'Character begins at the missing of the mother.' I'm sure it has to do with being independent. Still seems a bit.. murderous, don't you think? I didn't see Brave, but I heard her mom lived. Seems like an oversight on Disney's part.

1. bBerean profile image60
          bBereanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If I recall, mom was turned into a bear and integral to the plot.

Are you sure you don't mean Brother Bear?
            Never mind, I asked my kids and they said you were right.

2. bethperry profile image88
      bethperryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't know if killing off the moms is Disney style per se. Killing of the mom may happen frequently in the "princess" movies, but generally speaking, the moms live in Disney movies. A few famous examples:
      1. Sleeping Beauty's mom didn't die and they were reunited.
      2. Simba lost his dad, not his mother.
      3. The fate of Ariel's mother wasn't really discussed (I always imagined she spent her days in Triton's undersea harem)
      4. The Dalmatians' returned to their mom.
      5. The Aristcats returned to their mom, too.
      6. Minnie Mouse must have had a living mom, as Mickey was late going to dinner at her house.
      7. Poor Pinocchio didn't even get a mom sad
      8. Dumbo was reunited with his mom.
      9. Winnine the Pooh had neither mom nor dad.
      10. The Mom was the only parent around in "Old Yeller".
      11. "Freak Friday" would never have occurred without the mom.
      12. The mom character was integral in plot of "The Parent Trap" films.
      13. The much put-upon Chicha from "The Emperor's New Groove" was at home 24-7 for her children.
      14. Wendy, John and Michael may have treated their mom like she was dead as a door nail..but Mrs. Darling was waiting at home with open arms once the ungrateful brats got bored with Never Land.
      15. In the controversial "Song of the South", Johnny's parents only separate, and he lives with his mom until his near-death experience when dad suddenly returns and the parents are reconciled.

Read this article in The Atlantic. It discusses the topic at length. I've heard comedians make the joke for years, but this is the first time I've seen how many women died and how (including Ariel's mom apparently.)
        http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc … ad/372270/

1. bethperry profile image88
          bethperryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Eh, I don't know..I'd rather my little ones believe Ariel's mom is safe in the harem than ending up in their tuna casserole. But she WAS delicious! wink

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
            Rochelle Frankposted 2 years ago in reply to this

THAt is funny.... though in a sick way. smile .

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

It's a quick and efficient way to sympathize with the main character. Of course he's [insert emotion here]--his mom is dead! Of course he [insert rash action here]--his mom is dead!

And so on.

You're thinking of Bambi right now, aren't you? Don't cry.

1. Zelkiiro profile image84
        Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Actually, though it has nothing to do with moms, I was thinking about Gurren Lagann, and how Kamina's death is what drives the show forward (but only after driving the show into a suicidal depression).

You are not allowed to randomly mention anime and stuff like that without some kind of reference. Is this a show or comic book or what?

1. Zelkiiro profile image84
            Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I already said it's a show.

Fine... If that's how youre going to be... I don't know the title, the story or if it's on TV, the comp. or the big screen, but I will try to fill in my own blanks. THANKS A LOT Z!

3. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 2 years ago

Rapunzel's real mom is alive-- and the woman R thinks is her mother is too. I only saw Tangled once-- could be wrong.

Supposedly there are a handful of moms who made it out alive.

working