jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Music that speaks to us.

1. Zenellyn profile image61
    Zenellynposted 20 months ago

Rest in peace Leslie Gore. You are young and free once again. Knowing that this talented singer had passed I rushed to listen to her music as if I would never hear it again. I went straight to my favorite song of hers “You Don’t Own Me”.
    The words to this song always resonated with me because life is meant to be lived in our own unique way. Though we can be and are influenced even if just to form an opinion, we are nonetheless so unique in every aspect. Each of us has a set of parents who had a set of parents who had a set of parents. We were touched by our home, environment, school and school mates. Each of those school friends had their own set of parents, in their own environment, and their own neighborhood. Our teachers as well had unique upbringings. Whatever was going on in any particular day was uniquely experienced by each of us. Our education was molded not just by memorization, but by the presentation of the teacher, the school philosophy at that time, and our own absorption of the information.
    We came into this world at a particular time that never was, nor will be again. We were nurtured in various ways by attentive, or non-attentive parents, siblings, relatives, and for some, foster nurturers. All of those experiences are unique to each individual. We own them ourselves. Each moment we live, we absorb within our being.
    Leslie Gore’s song emanates musically what many of us feel like from time to time. RIP.
    What music speaks to you?

1. Say Yes To Life profile image87
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 20 months ago in reply to this

I just heard the news on the radio this morning.  Though she was a little before my time, I enjoyed her music too.

2. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 20 months ago

I hadn't heard until just now when I read your post. I remember her songs. Didn't follow her in later years, but just reading her obit I see she was discovered by Quincy Jones, and went on to have a full career in acting and song writing. She died of cancer at 68. I liked her music when I was a teeny-bopper 'It's my Party and I'll Cry if I Want to' ended up being a kind of a joke thing to sing when things were going bad. My sympathy to her family and fans.

1. Zenellyn profile image61
      Zenellynposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Yes the "It's my Party..." song is pretty well known. I didn't follow her either in later years. YouTube has some good clips.