jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson Blames Hippies For STDs

1. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 20 months ago

Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson Blames Hippies For STDs In CPAC Speech
    “It’s the revenge of the hippies! Sex, drugs, and rock & roll have come back to haunt us!” exclaimed Robertson.  He cribbed the figure from a 2008 CDC study. Watch the full near 30 minute speech here.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpDo9FEGh_4
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/%E2%80 … ar-BBi5WWD
    Well he was pretty wild in his youth..maybe he forgot that.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
      Kathryn L Hillposted 20 months ago in reply to this

...whether he forgot that or not, his message was good. I, for one, liked it.
      Can't we learn from our mistakes? Can't we pinpoint the cause of our problems? He had a perfectly fine solution. Maybe it wasn't the free-love / love-the-one-you're-with mentality we are all so accustomed to at this point in time… but really, don't you agree? America needs to grow up!

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 20 months ago in reply to this

The work of two senior faculty at my local university suggests that the largest spread of the STD problem in USA began with the mafia businesses, particularly prostitution, in the 1930s - 1950s. These two professors worked on the streets of Chicago during part of that time, persuading syndicate members and customers to use protection. Prostitution may still be one of the largest sources of STDs, looking at Toledo OH as a long-time gateway city for human distribution for this activity and set of diseases, although both problems are improving.

The free-love era may indeed spread the STD problem further along and some of today's movies feature inordinate amounts of unprotected activity. So, I think it is a continuum and the 1960s-1970s contributed substantially, but the 1930s - 1950s did as well.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 20 months ago in reply to this

Some years ago, I interviewed a restaurant/bar manager who worked in Detroit in the 1960s. He explained how the prostitutes were required to visit the health department monthly for STD testing and carry a card from the department stating that they were free of STDs. Interesting that the cards were required by the city, although the activity was illegal. The business was too big to stop, or there were other reasons for allowing it to continue unbridled.