"Fifty Shades of Grey" sequel hires a new writer...E.L. James' husband

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 18 months ago

As some of you die hard movie buffs know, "Fifty Shades of Grey" was a huge success at the box office, as I believe it grossed way over  500 million dollars worldwide on a budget of 40 million.  Although I personally found the film to be a giant steaming pile of horse s***, but I can't deny how successful it was at the same time.  Hell, as much as I HATED it, I'd probably green light sequels too if i was in Universal's shoes.

As Danny DeVito said in "Twins", "Money talks and bulls*** walks."   Eyup.  That's the entertainment industry in a nutshell.

However, there's been a lot of drama going on behind the scenes of "Fifty Shades of Grey."  According to various reports, E.L. James clashed a lot with the screenwriter and director when they were making the first movie, and she demanded more creative control over the sequels because of those feuds.  In fact, it was even reported she wanted to be write the script for the sequels; in spite of the fact that she has ZERO experience writing movie scripts.

However, it seems like Universal has given her something of a compromise by hiring her husband, Niall Leonard, who's an author himself, and he's been known to write scripts for various British TV shows like "Air Force One Is Down" and "Wire in the Blood", to name a few.

Add in the fact that both two leads of "Fifty Shades of Grey" are demanding more money for the sequels (similar to how Jennifer Lawrence got a big pay raise for the "Hunger Games" sequels), then you can see why the sequel has been pushed back to 2017.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this?  Do you think it's a good idea that Universal hired E.L. James' husband to write the script for the sequel?  Or do you think this has disaster written all over it.  I don't know about you, but I think it has disaster written all over it, but I want to hear your thoughts first.

1. Castlepaloma profile image27
      Castlepalomaposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I like the idea of sex contract, kind of, turns me on.

Overall it was a sad reflection of power crazed people.