jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Best Non-English Bands?

1. kerryg profile image86
    kerrygposted 7 years ago

Misha mentioned in the Beatles vs. Zeppelin thread that deciding who is the greatest rock band ever becomes a lot more complicated when you start factoring in non-English bands, so since there are lots of international folks around here I thought I'd ask: who are the greatest bands in your language?

To start us off, here in the kerryg household, we are big fans of the Russian bands Lyube and DDT.

My favorite Lyube song is Kon' (which is more folk than rock, I admit, but they do rock just fine) and for DDT, probably Prosvistela.

2. Junkster profile image61
    Junksterposted 7 years ago

Metallica, not English, american big_smile

3. StefanMDP profile image64
    StefanMDPposted 7 years ago
  4. K.D. Clement profile image85
    K.D. Clementposted 7 years ago

I'm a fan of the German band Silbermond.

5. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 7 years ago

I love industrial.

And I love Rammstein.

Here's an awesome music video entitled 'Amerika' :

I know about two things in German, and I'd rather not say them here. But...they opened me up to music that isn't in my language. After all, music it's self is a language.

Another band, this time, Japanese, that I like is Polysics

Its a Japanese version of DEVO. Whip it good.

1. 0
      Wadey101mposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Doubt I'd be viewing that! lol, If you knew the translation you might change your mind. They're funny but very twisted!

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
        GeneriqueMediaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Rammstein? Yeah, I've heard reports. I've read some of the translations.

Amerika, the song, is basically making fun of our culture colonialism. But still, they're more layered and intricate than american rap music.

And by not knowing the lyrics to the songs...I'm free to listen to how the music works, when the singer chimes in, when a new cord goes, etc, etc...its an excersice in music composure for me.

6. ChrisSnil profile image60
    ChrisSnilposted 7 years ago

I'm quite open to music from all over the world. I like some metal bands from Scandanavia and also some bands from Japan - Polysics in particular, their music is totally crazy big_smile

7. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

How did I miss on that? yikes

Thanks Kerry smile Did not hear about Lyube for a while, yet they definitely had quite a few hits back in 90s. DDT is great, and my favorite is the other song, you might like it too smile

As for the best Russian band - for me it is Aquarium hands down. Just a few of their compositions, to give you a taste of it smile

I think I have a translation of the first song in the first video that I made for Idunn a while ago. I'll add it if I find it smile

Oh, and I just realized i did not mention any woman voice. Take a look at this for example smile