jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

The Revelation of Bill Cosby

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 15 months ago

In  a 2005 deposition, Bill Cosby admitted to using Quaaludes on women.  When I read this, it was glaringly apparent that Bill Cosby used improprieties on women.  Everyone knew that Bill Cosby indulged in extramarital relationships.  However, this revelation put Bill Cosby in a quite different light.  I have lost ALL respect for him.  His wife is  "standing by" him, not because of love but she views him as an investment.  Besides that, what about his daughters.  Bill Cosby it seems has a grievously insidious disrespect for women! Who does HE think HE IS ,really?

1. Ana Kolomeka profile image85
      Ana Kolomekaposted 15 months ago in reply to this

It is an ABSOLUTE SHAME that someone who has EVERYTHING, and can even have all the affairs he wants, would sink to this level!  This makes him worse than a disgusting creep who has to resort to leaping out of the bushes!  He should serve an even worse sentence than them - though most likely that won't happen.

1. Live to Learn profile image80
        Live to Learnposted 15 months ago in reply to this

I think the statute of limitations has expired so no criminal complaints can be filed. But, what I would like to see is for him to go through some therapy to understand how wrong his actions were. From everything I've seen it appears he truly thinks that he did nothing wrong. It's very sad to watch a life which was so inspirational spiral down so sharply when the dark secrets come to light. If he would make some effort to learn from it, it would help open dialogues for others. Instead, he seems set to belligerently ignore how his predatory actions negatively affect others.

1. Ana Kolomeka profile image85
          Ana Kolomekaposted 15 months ago in reply to this

Apparently he doesn't care!  That's why these things happen!

1. Live to Learn profile image80
            Live to Learnposted 15 months ago in reply to this

Yes, I think that is obvious. But, wouldn't it be nice to have him get some help so he can fully understand that he is responsible? So that he could feel true remorse?  We all make mistakes. It's how we deal with those mistakes which define us.

Something this crass, this insensitive and illegal....to be so self absorbed as to be incapable of seeing how horribly he has abused others...I do honestly wish the man could get some help. I hate to see his legacy thrown  irrevocably away but unless he owns up to his actions and displays that he is remorseful for the damage done; this, at its worst, will be his only legacy. Owning up to mistakes and making amends would go a long way in helping us see this as a tragic weakness discovered within him and addressed. Not a defining characteristic he belligerently denies while it is staring him in the face, for all to see.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 15 months ago

I'll admit, I've been a little freaked out by all these allegations because I was a big fan of Cosby's stand up comedy growing up. My parents had most of his classic stand-up albums from the '60s and '70s like Why Is There Air?, Revenge, 200 MPH, Wonderfulness, etc. and I listened to those all the time when I was a kid. To this day I can still quote bits of those records - and most of the "Bill Cosby: Himself" concert film - chapter and verse.

I was never a fan of the "Cosby Show" sitcom because it always felt so preachy and plastic, but I still respected the man for being a bastion of "clean" humor in an era that was defined by guys like Bobcat Goldthwait and Andrew Dice Clay.

It's very strange to think that while publicly he was America's Favorite Dad, Cosby had a dark side that nobody knew about... or if they did, they were afraid to speak out about it, for so many years.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 15 months ago

Perhaps the small up side of this is that more people will realize rape is not crime only perpetrated by obvious scary predator people.  It also occurs as an abuse of trust and power by people with great reputations.