David Bowie 1947 - 2016

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years ago

The creative genius David Bowie has passed away after a secret battle with cancer. He turned 69 on 8 January - the day he released his latest album 'Black Star.'
    I am sitting here at my desk in tears, listening to my Bowie albums in disbelief. It is impossible for me to define a favourite album, song or period from Bowie's career. All I know is that his death is a huge loss to the world.
    Rest in peace, Lady Stardust

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

When I saw the announcement of Mr. Bowie's death on Bing, I thought please not another internet death hoax.  However, when I read the announcement, I was totally nonplussed.  Mr. Bowie was a genius & a trailblazer regarding the issue of gender ambiguity.  Besides being quite versed musically, he was an actor.  He will be missed.  He exemplified the importance of living a juicy, succulent, red life with no regrets!!!!
      http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12827319.jpg

1. tsmog profile image84
        tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

He was an influence with my past life, in my heart today with the news learned earlier, and will continue influencing me tomorrow. I cannot stop thinking of Ziggy Stardust and Major Tom that I humm and hear the lyrics at many times. Those are still profound for me . . .

2. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry for the world's loss. Bowie was a creative genius and an inspiration to many.

As a young bi woman and autistic weirdo, I loved that he chose to push at the societal constructs surrounding gender and sexuality. Seeing a talented, successful bi person ignoring so many of the social constructs that made other people see me as strange and worthless and seeing him being loved for it was like getting handed a little piece of hope with every song.

I fell in love with his music and creative genius through the obsession of my girlfriend, a woman who survived the flashbacks and depressions caused by childhood molestation by latching onto all things David Bowie at age eleven. His music, movies, and other works still comfort her in some way I find hard to understand or explain, but I'm very thankful for it.

3. profile image57
      WhimsicalNerdposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So Sad. He was so fun in Labyrinth. R.I.P.

4. Credence2 profile image80
      Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

We will miss him and and his whimsical style, his death was so unexpected. They say these sorts of losses comes in threes, I lost Natalie Cole on Dec 31, who is next?

All of us of the 'boomer generation' are now daily being reminded of our mortality, it is now our time at the turnstyle.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How old was Natalie? She was 65.
        "The daughter of crooner Nat King Cole and Maria Hawkins Cole died of congestive heart failure, according to a family spokeswoman. She had endured years of health issues stemming from a 2009 kidney transplant."

"In 2004, the musician (David Bowie) suffered chest pains while performing at a festival in Germany and collapsed backstage. While Bowie initially thought he pinched a nerve in his shoulder, the pain was later diagnosed as a clogged coronary artery and required emergency heart surgery."
        I can't stand that he left us. The missing is the hard part.
        It does shake up your reality when these bright stars no longer shine here.

"All of us of the 'boomer generation' are now daily being reminded of our mortality, it is now our time at the turnstyle." C
        No!
        Performers are under a lot of stress.
        Stress is the thing to avoid.
        Boomers, are still laid back to some extent ????
        Boomers' parents are the longest living generation. (~ painting with a broad brush.)
        They ate healthy, got their sleep, stayed calm and enjoyed work.

1. Credence2 profile image80

Performers are under a lot of stress, this is true.

We don't like to admit it, but life forces ebb with time.
          Lets face it, you are not going to be 30 again, Death still remains, and waits at the end of the moving sidewalk for us all. No one can walk the opposite direction on it fast enough to avoid the edge. Most born between 1946-1964 are closer to what has to be inevitable.

David Bowie was the epitome of youth and vitality for our generation, but it is all for naught. I greive for myself as a I grieve for him.

This is why we come back.
            One of these days we will find a better high than being a terrestrial. smile

Until then, we will all be back again, to try it again …
            It is sad when it ends, but there is always a beginning around the corner.
            Please, don't grieve.
            His blue print is just invisible now.
            He is there with his (edit) buddies, Marc Bolan and Lou Reed and probably lots more.
            They are jamming it up on harps smile

2. Kylyssa profile image90
            Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You could, instead, take his death as a reminder to get out and live while you've still got some time left.  It's never too late to create, love, and live like there's no tomorrow until you're the one pushing up daisies.

These celebrity deaths tend to remind me of how much time, money, and effort and how many lives we as humans have thrown away fighting over resources and ideas when we could have been putting it all into fighting real enemies like cancer and other diseases instead of each other.

It is ashamed that we have to deal with life from the standpoint of 'what we have left'? There is always that subconscious pressure to not take the time to savor life as cognac. How much of that very concept reduces its quality? Hurry up and live!!

Time is an illusion. We don't have to buy into it.
                If we don't, we get a sense of the eternal.
                the NOW.
                and make the best of it ...
                Now.
                \ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRqxoM7iqoY

Time is the 4th dimension, and is just as real as the other three, matter of fact the other 3 could not exist without it. We are its prisoners and the casualties of those that run out of it are there to keep us from becoming overconfident. Our feeble senses already tells us that nothing is eternal except death, as it is the universe' only constant. 

Not to dismiss your point, though, it is well taken

Maybe what is eternal is life, rather than death.
                    Can you explain how time is the fourth dimension?

2. Jean Bakula profile image92
                    Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know Bowie was ill. He was such a genius. I always loved Changes, but I can't pick one favorite song. It was sweet of him to have his last album released now, his last gift to us. He leaves a huge legacy of creativity for us to continue to enjoy, and people who don't know who he was (younger, probably) will discover his music. RIP, David.

2. Chantelle Porter profile image91
    Chantelle Porterposted 8 years ago

Heartbreaking. I loved his music. He will be missed. RIP.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

Yeah, this is a bummer. sad

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

I was shocked when I heard the news because I had only read recently that he had released a new album and recorded a sound track for a tv series or something to that effect. I did not know he had been battling cancer. He was a trailblazer in the music industry. I attended a live concert of his in Australia about 35 years ago. He was supported by a group called The Angels then, and he will be with the Angels again now. May he R.I.P.

5. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

Blue, blue, electric blue.....Grew up with his music, his rebel genes, his duel coloured eyes, his outrageous clothes, his alter egos...a true groundbreaker, sexuality was never the same, thank goodness..
    ...sad day yes and we should mourn the artist but equally we should think about celebrating his songs and his art and his cutting edge creativity...I danced to his Jean Genie, sang to Starman, rocked to his Rebel Rebel, admired The Man who sold the World, wept with Wild like the Wind, loved his funky soul, his electronic experiments with Eno, and his last two albums, the latest especially with a numbing Lazarus track.

Ad astra David, you kept your London accent, you played with fire, fought the dragon with the sword of lyricism and melody, emerging a hero.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

I liked his role as an alien in The Man Who Fell To Earth.
    Like an alien, he had insights to us humans as revealed in this song:
    Baby Universe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doYuraptK-k

Also, I never knew who "Mr. Ed" was.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv11OhStPAs

7. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12827922.jpg

R.I.P.

8. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I just watch David's last video, "Lazarus".  I was disappointed with the backward ending because I was hoping he would reach out to people with something inspiring.  It left me feeling empty.

Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8

Thanks colorfulone. I watched it and Black Star. Black Star I liked better: Strange lyrics. Creepy visuals. But, a certain beautiful ugliness emanated.
      I agree. I don't get Lazarus at all. Seems an effort to express himself in a surrealistic way,
      inner subconscious / symbols ...
      ?

9. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

As we age , music lovers  who begin losing our musical hero's , begin to better realize our own mortality .  I watched a HBO special about David  Bowie a few years ago and realized , although not a musical hero of mine ,   this man has an incredible voice  and deliverance , I will miss his  !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)