jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

MUHAMMAD ALI (nee Cassius Clay Jr.): January 17, 1942 - June 3, 2016

1. Say Yes To Life profile image88
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 months ago

You, no doubt, have heard the news that Muhammad Ali, the greatest boxer who ever lived and the Athlete of the 20th Century, has passed out of this life.  Though I've never met him, I'd like to post some of my thoughts about him, and hope you will do the same.

In 1977, a movie about his life was released; it is titled, "The Greatest".  Though it is obscure, a major hit emerged from it; "The Greatest Love of All", sung originally by George Benson, and later covered by Whitney Houston.  It is one of my favorite songs.  Here is a YouTube link to the movie; I believe it will be live-streamed in a few hours:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHOq9M_uJ_U

We all know about a certain airplane incident:

There is a story told of Ali on a flight where he refused to wear his seat belt. When confronted by the flight attendant to put on his seat belt he replied,

“Superman don’t need no seat belt.”

To which she replied,

“Superman don’t need no airplane.”

Though Muhammad Ali was notorious for his egotism, he has said some really profound quotes.  Here are a couple:

"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life."

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Let's all pay homage to The Greatest, and post our thoughts here!

1. colorfulone profile image87
      colorfuloneposted 4 months ago

I love reading Ali's quotes.  Thank you for sharing those quotes, its a nice tribute.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up."

He made a fortune punching people in the face and is a boxing legend.

2. colorfulone profile image87

"It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe." - Ali

Say Yes To Lifeposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Great quotes!

1. colorfulone profile image87
          colorfuloneposted 4 months ago in reply to this

Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr. learned how to box after his bicycle was stolen at the age of 12.  I had forgotten that, and just read it in an article.

3. colorfulone profile image87

"The world has lost a champion," Franklin Graham said. "Muhammad Ali was considered by many as the greatest boxer of all time. His career began during a difficult period in our country with the racial tensions of the 1960s and the Vietnam War. His outspoken positions caused him to be both loved and hated by some. I had the privilege of meeting him on several occasions, and he visited at my parents' home in Montreat, North Carolina. Muhammad Ali’s father brought him to visit my father Billy Graham because he was concerned over Ali’s faith in Islam and was afraid that his son had been led astray. They had a great visit, and my father had prayer with him. They met together again several years ago in Louisville, Kentucky, when my father was there to preach. My prayers are with his family as they mourn this loss."

Awe, Ali knew the Lord.

Say Yes To Lifeposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Regarding Ali's conversion to Islam - he originally joined Nation of Islam in 1964, one year before Malcolm X was brutally assassinated by them.  In 1975, Ali changed over to the Sufi denomination of Islam (they're the ones with the whirling dervishes).  Nation of Islam is actually a cult.  Its leader in the 1960s was Elijah Mohammed, who was very corrupt.  When Malcolm X discovered this, rather than backsliding into a life of crime, he formed his own congregation; that's why he was assassinated.

Colorfulone - did you just say the great Billy Graham is your father???  WOW!!!