jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is Marvel's new Neflix show, "Luke Cage" racist?

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 5 weeks ago

For those of you who don't know who Luke Cage is, he's essentially a Marvel comic book character, who's also known as Power Man.  He's a black superhero that lives in Harlem, and he possesses super human strength and impenetrable skin.  Anyways, Marvel studios has recently launched a series of TV shows on Netflix starting with Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and now Luke Cage. 

Considering the bulk of his stories take place in Harlem, a place that's predominantly inhabited by African Americans, naturally the majority of the cast in the show happens to be black.  Yes, they do cast a few white people in the show, along with other people of various ethnicity.  However, the majority of the cast is black because it takes place in Harlem.

However, the new netflix show is going through a lot of heat right now, as a lot of people are calling marvel a bunch of racists for not featuring more white people in it.  What are your thoughts on this?

2. Live to Learn profile image80
    Live to Learnposted 5 weeks ago

Lol. Why would they be racist? If that's the setting it would be racist to not cast predominantly black.

3. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 5 weeks ago

It's set in a predominantly black community, of course most characters are black.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 weeks ago

I haven't seen the show but I remember Marvel's old "Luke Cage, Power Man" comic series. My comic-shop guy used to say that you could tell the book was written by a white guy, because Luke Cage always talked like a character from a blaxploitation movie, even well into the 1980s. He'd come crashing through walls saying unintentionally hilarious stuff Iike "Sweeeet Christmas! Step aside suckas, cause Luke Cage is comin' through!" Mr. T. sounded like a Rhodes scholar by comparison!

5. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 weeks ago

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13260288.jpg

working