jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)

Why did the Jackson family have to use Paris at his memorial!?

1. boberto profile image61
    bobertoposted 7 years ago

I think millions if not billions of people around the world tuned in to see Michael Jackson's memorial on Tuesday, however, do you think it was right that Michael's family allowed his daughter Paris to go on stage and be revealed to the media etc?

I personally think it was a disgrace as Michael worked so hard all his life to protect them and shelter them from the press etc, & only after two weeks of him passing away his family encouraged her to go on stage and now be the centre of attention from the media.

What are your thoughts?

1. AEvans profile image74
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

They did not USE Paris if you notice she had wanted to say something about her father, which is normal for a child when they lose a parent. When a family is in mourning people do not always think, and his daughter wanted to be there, she is old enough to make decisions. smile

1. marcofratelli profile image81
        marcofratelliposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, she was very brave and very visibly hurting. You could tell how protective their aunt Janet is of them, those kids are going to be looked after very well.

2. jenblacksheep profile image85
    jenblacksheepposted 7 years ago

Was she encouraged? I've only seen a clip of that little bit where she talks but it seems like she really wanted to stand up and talk. I do agree though that after Michael spent all her life keeping her out of the public eye, his family should have discouraged her from speaking and perhaps just read out for her what she wanted to say. His other kids were there on stage too, but since they've never been in the public eye, I don't think anyone knew who they were.

3. 0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 7 years ago

It was quite disrespectful to Michaels wishes, but maybe she is going to carry on where he left off ..... maybe she has talent also, and it was an introduction of her to the world, who knows?????  Lots will be asking the same question I would say, certainly crossed my mind as soon as I saw her...

4. compu-smart profile image80
    compu-smartposted 7 years ago

Good point!

5. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I think she wanted to say something about her father. She was not forced.

1. Drew Breezzy profile image81
      Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree. I think she wanted to say goodbye.

6. boberto profile image61
    bobertoposted 7 years ago

I agree it did look a bit like she wanted to speak, but as the night was in respect of Michael and to celebrate his life and all he did. I think they should have respected his wishes & like you said read out what she had to say rather having her be the centre of the media.

When i say she was encouraged it seemed like her family (especially Janet Jackson) were comforting her yet saying to her come on etc and pushing her a little bit. Dont know if it's just me thinking it but thats the way i interpreted it.

I admit if i was Paris it was a way of saying goodbye to her Dad, but maybe for her own good the Jackson's should have stopped her from going up and speaking.

7. 0
    dennisemattposted 7 years ago

I did not see the service. I saw the clip on the news the next day. was that the public or family memorial?

8. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

I think it was important for Paris to express her emotions as its not something you can go back and do another day.

Howver the media will exploit those children ,then spit on them ,when they new meat to devour.

9. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I don't think people should jump to the conclusion that she was used.  There's a good chance she wanted to speak for herself and on behalf of her father.  There's a good chance they asked each of the older children if they wanted to speak or not, and she may have said she did.  Maybe the eldest son said he didn't.

I think people need to be careful about "imagining onto" something what none of us really knows about what goes on in private.  We can see what we see, take it for what it is, and that's it.  It's unfair to "imagine onto" a situation what we just don't/won/t'/can't know.

10. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

I agree, and people all over the world have different thoughts and opinions on a what a child should and shouldnt be able to handle.

Grief affects everyone regardless of sex, age or gender.

Some of it is cultural (even within a culture)

11. HealthCare Basics profile image82
    HealthCare Basicsposted 7 years ago

I believe Paris wanted to say one final "goodbye" and let the world know she loved her father, the person she remembers being a good Dad.