jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

Best Movie Opener

1. fierycj profile image87
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

Whether its an opening line or the opening scene in the movie. One movie per post. I'll start with with the opening scene in Goodfellas - Ray Liotta is driving the car, with Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci in it. As they drive, you hear the trunk thump ceaselessly. He stops the car, and they all come out. Ray pops the trunk open, and Pesci pulls out his dagger and stabs the guy in the trunk again and again and again. Then De Niro blasts the guy with his gun. Liotta slams the trunk close. And Liotta's narration goes - for as far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be gangster.
    Only Scorcese could come up with an opener like that.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

Godfather.

Need I say more?

1. fierycj profile image87
      fierycjposted 7 years ago in reply to this

i thought that would be too obvious. smile

3. bgpappa profile image87
    bgpappaposted 7 years ago

The Opening Scene In The Godfather.  With the undertaker saying "I believe in America."  and then Brando appears out of the shadows.  perfection.

4. bgpappa profile image87
    bgpappaposted 7 years ago

Not at all Mark.  Same thought at the same time.

5. livewithrichard profile image83
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

The opening scene to the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead.  Can you imagine waking up to your neighbor's zombified daughter who then turns nurs Ana's husband into a zombie and run outside to the mass zombie takeover of the city.  It was the first time zombies had strength and speed until 28 Days later came along.

6. lrohner profile image86
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Apocalypse Now -- the whole helicopter scene that eventually bleeds over to whats-his-name's room with the ceiling fan blades spinning and the psychotic look in his eyes. And the line "Saigon... Sh*t, I'm still in Saigon..."

7. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

The Lion King big_smile "Nants ingonyama bagithi baba!!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4N5o7_rlFU
    and
    Saving Private Ryan

8. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 7 years ago

Breast Side Story

They get right to the action, none of that boring plot and character development that can ruin an adult feature.

1. Colebabie profile image61
      Colebabieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Although I haven't seen that particular film, I agree that they should just get to the action. Opening credits are preferable. smile

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I saw it as part of a double feature with "Shaving Ryan's Privates"

9. stacies29 profile image71
    stacies29posted 7 years ago

The beginning of "Set It Off" was good.

10. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

Star Wars, and the heck with the lines.  That battleship didn't need no freaking lines.

working