jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Billy Mays Autopsy Report Shows Cocaine in His System.

1. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 7 years ago

The official autopsy report for Billy Mays was released today and it was confirmed that his death was the result of "lethal arrhythmia of the heart caused by hypertensive and arteriosclerotic heart disease."

The use of cocaine caused or contributed to the development of the disease. The report stated that the breakdown componets of cocaine, not the actual drug itself was found. He was not under the influence of cocaine at his death. Also found in the toxicology report were prescriptions medication for the pain he was in. He was to have a hip replacement surgery.

I have written a couple of hubs on Billy Mays, but I have decided to not write this story out of respect to the family for now. Billy Mays III has been on twitter today and it is obvious how disappointed and sad the entire family is right now.

The family has requested an independent autopsy and I for one will wait to blog or formally Hub about this until then.

1. Drew Breezzy profile image81
      Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

interesting to see cocaine as the cause of death. hollywood glamorizes the stuff.surprising though he didn't seem like the druggie type.

1. 0
        Sidney Rayneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Indeed....but they never do.

2. BrianFanslau profile image61
    BrianFanslauposted 7 years ago

That is very respectable.

Sad to see yet another "celeb" die from drug related causes or contributing causes

3. MistHaven profile image82
    MistHavenposted 7 years ago

I wonder if it IS possible to have so much money you don't know what to do with it. That's the reason why I think a lot of celebrities turn to drugs. If that is true, I don't see why they do something positive with that money, if they have so much of it.

It still sucks that somebody else famous died. I'm glad that part of the summer is over, it was getting really creepy how famous people were dying left and right.

4. EfusjonSeattle profile image60
    EfusjonSeattleposted 7 years ago

Thats probably why he was soo hyper on all of his infomercials! ha but geez thats alot of bad stuff in someones system! wow!

5. HealthCare Basics profile image82
    HealthCare Basicsposted 7 years ago

I am sorry. but Billy Mays was a TV personality who screamed and yelled infomercials that were worthless. ASHD is hereditary and using illegal drugs only promote a cardiovascular event sooner than later.............

6. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 7 years ago

Personally, I think it's unfortunate and exploitative for such information to be made public. Do we have a right to know this about this man? Does it change anything? He is still dead.

I know from personal experience that the information on a death certificate can taint a person's life and their death. I never had reason to think about this until recently.These days, whose toxicology report would come back clean as a whistle? Not too many people's! Why couldn't they have left the cause of  death as heart failure?

So now a bunch of people who could care less about Billy Mays --in life or in death -- will "cash in" by blogging about his drug habits. Well, I guess the good news is it momentarily takes the focus off Michael Jackson and HIS drug addiction and Paula Abdul and HER drug addiction. Sad.

1. HealthCare Basics profile image82
      HealthCare Basicsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately, being a figure of public, his autopsy results and concurrent stories are free to all. This is the life they all chose to live; and in the end, may not have wanted revealed....

2. 0
      Sidney Rayneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No doubt....I understand he is a public figure but at what point does disclosure have the necessity to become so exploitative? Between the autopsy reports and the 911 phone calls being released I have to think that privacy is now completely null and void in the world today.

Bad enough that the autopsy report compounds an already grief-stricken family...but to know that the entire world is aware of a personal struggle as well....it is just asinine.

7. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 7 years ago

Thanks,Sid. You obviously get my point.
    If there was nothing more to sensationalize the media would just let the story die. But noooooooo.
    The thing that irks me is that people didn't care all that much about him while he was alive. He's larger than life in death, tho. That's just not right.

1. Michael Willis profile image78
      Michael Willisposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I was surprised when I was on my computer home page and saw the headline blaring with Cocaine cause death of Billy Mays.  But when I read further it said they found By Products of cocaine in his system. Cocaine was not the cause of death actually, but they said it may have played a part.

Media exploitation at it's best! The family is of course hurt and shocked.

With all the pain medication he was taking for his hip problem I wonder if any of those drugs could have "misled" the report. Hydrocodone and oxycodone were two of the prescriptions. There were more listed. Hydro and oxycodone are narcotics and if I am right come from cocaine somehow. I wonder if these components could have made for a false cocaine "by-product" in the system.

I may have mentioned it here Mighty Mom in this forum, but I have chosen Not to add it to my blog or the Hubs I have on him. But the News headlines/TV reports are out there and the media is eating this up. Sad!