jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (17 posts)

Julie and Julia

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I saw this movie this afternoon. It was absolutely wonderful. I have always loved Julia Child and Meryl Streep was outstanding as her. If you love food, and French food, and even blogging, you will love this movie. Not only a "chick-flick".

2. RedElf profile image86
    RedElfposted 7 years ago

Thanks so much - I have it on my list of must-sees, and now you have convinced a friend to go with me - thanks!

3. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I had heard about the book.  The promos for the movie make it seem like it's a kind of "weird deal" - two stories, etc.  I keep thinking there is something out of balance with the mixing of the two stories (famous person/non-famous person); and I keep thinking, "Why didn't they just make a movie about Julia Child's life?"  I had pretty much written off the idea of seeing it.

but people are liking, eh?  Maybe I'll reconsider.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It worked well together, they meshed it well together. I would like to see a movie about Julia Child's life though. This didn't cover that long a time in her life.

1. Lisa HW profile image82
        Lisa HWposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hmmm.   Again, maybe I'll remove the movie from my "Don't bother" list.  smile   I appreciate a movie that isn't violence and that knows how to be clever and unique.  Glad you thought to post.

I'd also like to see a movie about just Julia Child's life.  She had an interesting and unique life.

4. Aqua profile image77
    Aquaposted 7 years ago

Yes, I totally agree! I really enjoyed J&J even though I'm not really a movie person. My husband liked it too which kind of surprised me!

5. Aqua profile image77
    Aquaposted 7 years ago

Lisa - I don't like it when movies tell two stories simultaneously and in fact, it drives me nuts! I was definitely aware of it in this movie but it wasn't too bad.

I heard Julia Child's cookbooks are flying off the shelves now which is pretty cool.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image83

I want to get a copy of My Life in Paris and Julie Powell's book. Luckily I work for a book wholesaler smile

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

Leo and I loved it too! He kept nudging me and saying, "Don't you wish you'd thought of that blog idea?" It really did mesh the stories well. It makes you very hungry though. We ended up going out for a big meal. (In addition to all the popcorn and soda, we devoured at the movie.)

8. Uninvited Writer profile image83

Yes, I was drooling thoughout the film. I have to try that deboned duck in pastry...oh boy.

9. profile image0

I read a book about her called "An Appetite for Life" and really enjoyed it. She is one of my "lifestyle heroes."

When I lived in Cambridge, MA. We shopped at the same grocery store. I often saw her walking up and down the aisles. Even after several years, I was always too shy to say anything. I just smiled.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image83

Wow, how exciting smile

11. profile image0

She was just what you'd expect her to be. If anyone did stop her and say something, she was very gracious and warm.

12. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Nelle, you could write a Hub, "Nelle and Julia - Observations at the Grocery Store".    smile

When my youngest son was two years old, for some reason he got interested in Julia Child's PBS program.  I think it was that little kids like to have an adult just kind of talk and show them what they're working on.  He called her, "Zulia Shile" and just loved the show.  I didn't let him watch too much tv, so it was mostly Sesame Street, Mr Rogers, and "Zulia Shile".  When I signed him into kindergarten they asked what programs a child watched on tv, and you can guess how weird I felt mentioning the above three as the only things he watched.   smile  Anyway, my point is she must have had something about her if she was even loved by a two-year-old tv viewer.   smile

13. Aqua profile image77
    Aquaposted 7 years ago

I felt bad for Julie when I heard Julia kind of dissed her. I don't think Julia understood the whole internet and blogosphere "thing" or I'm sure she would have realized what a true compliment and tribute it was.

14. girly_girl09 profile image77
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

I have a date with my mom this weekend to go see it. Glad it is good! I look forward to it. big_smile Mom is a huge Meryl Streep fan.

15. Aqua profile image77
    Aquaposted 7 years ago

Meryl Streep did an awesome job in this movie. She WAS Julia LOL!

working