jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Watching the requisite PSA of sitcoms and wondering....

1. B.Z. Alixandre profile image80
    B.Z. Alixandreposted 7 years ago

Firstly this is not a discussion about the legalization of marijuana or anything like that, just an observation of morality dictated by others. 

I'm watching one of my favorite episodes of My Wife and Kids.  Admittedly I haven't seen too many, but I like the show anyway.  In this episode, the main characters kid gets high, so he and his wife decide to kinda mess with his head as a deterrent.  I like the episode because its just like what my parents probably would have done and is pretty funny besides that.  (The episode is Grassy Knoll, but I can't find it online).  Personally I believe that marijuana is a better think than alcohol and tobacco, but what I'm mostly noting is that most of the sitcoms I've ever seen has a required PSA (public safety announcement) in it, which is someone else mandating morality to me, and I dislike that, immensely.  Its my family, my church if decide to attend and believe in it, and myself whose job it is to teach me morality.  How come we take doses of outside morality from the media, one of the worst examples of morality available to us.  I don't want my sixteen year old toking up, but this same television show has a teen pregnancy and marriage as part of its plot-line, and I don't want my teenage kids getting pregnant or married either.  (My kids are hypothetical, I'm single and childless).  TV has tried to be the family viewers book of virtues for years.  They've talked about alcoholism, drug use, abuse, abortion, and all of that in very obvious attempts to preach to us (as in the format differs from basic plot-line, the attempt to impart a lesson is pretty clear).  I love sitcoms, I miss sitcoms, but is this really acceptable?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

I cant remember seeing any of those specifically, but I suspect it is a way of protecting themselves from any legal action . . . as well as a way of warning people who may not want to see or expose their children to such content.

1. kephrira profile image60
      kephriraposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ye, blame the lawyers I say, the media probably has to go over the top cos otherwise they could never be totally sure someone wouldn't sue them.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Exactly right! The media has ye lawyers, too. I wasn't  blaming lawyers-- perhaps just those who sue, though lawyers make it possible.