Who's greater, The Beatles or Michael Jackson??

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 131 discussions (210 posts)
  1. awsydney profile image60
    awsydneyposted 14 years ago

As a musician and music lover, I have grappled with an answer to this question since MJ's sad passing, if there ever will be one.

To me, good music entertains us. But great music must inspire and fuel passion within us. It may even change the way we view the world and hopefully for the better.

For Elvis fans, I have not forgotten The King either.

1. nikki1 profile image61
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

BEATLES OF COURSE big_smile

2. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd have to say given the choice the Beatles are better. Jackson really only had one big album, Thriller and hadn't done much since that release, plus the Beatles have been around a lot longer.

1. profile image52
        Yasshii-kunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Michael Jackson had a longer and more successful career, plus he still holds records from when he was NINE that no one has broken yet and it's 2011. -.-

2. profile image58
        Lambertiniposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Only "One big album"..?  Wow!  You DO know he's had 'Big' albums for over 40 years..?

3. OpinionDuck profile image59
      OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Beatles,

I like their voices better, and their music was more complex. plus they didn't dance.

4. Shinkicker profile image52
      Shinkickerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beatles, no contest

5. 6 String Veteran profile image66
      6 String Veteranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WOW, that's like: what's better, the Les Paul or the Strat?

Ok, I'll throw a curve: was watching Creole King (an Elvis flick--one of his self-favorites) the other day and saw where MJ--and Prince--got 'mad' moves from 'the King'.

To me, Robert Johnson, Bo Diddley,  Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Ike Turner, Elvis (and perhaps Jerry Lee Lewis) were all KINGS of R+R. MJ just didn't have the manliness those guys had. And to me, any King of Rock, including Run-DMC--LOL--has to be manly...no ''yee-hees'' allowed.

As for the Fab Four (Beatles), I simply don't count them on the same level as the aforementioned persons...They were--to me--the Kings of Rock's 2nd Wave, which was the Brit Invasion (which hasn't ended, btw).

JMHO (just my humble opinion)

6SV

6. deblipp profile image60
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It has to be the Beatles for the extraordinary diversity of their output. The Beatles pushed themselves to change and grow, to experiment, to explore. They did soft ballads (Michelle, Blackbird), hard rockers (Helter-Skelter, I Want You), sound experiments (Revolution 9), and Tin Pan Alley  (Honey Pie). They experimented with chord dissonance (Strawberry Field) and Eastern sounds (Norwegian Wood).

Michael Jackson was great, extraordinary, and highly influential but he cannot approach this level of complexity and variety.

1. Daffy Duck profile image60
        Daffy Duckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Beatles.  As good as MJ was, he was, in my opinion, a child molester.

1. platinumOwl4 profile image71
          platinumOwl4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This allegation was never proven, and the FBI released 600 pages indicating there was absolutely  no PROOF. And If you never met Micheal Jackson it is impossible to make comments with out fact to substantiate you claim.

2. Freegoldman profile image40
        Freegoldmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For me its the beattles

3. MickeySr profile image78
        MickeySrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Easily The Beatles. Michael Jackson was gigantically talented, but he took a musical art form (Soul, specifically Motown style Soul) and advanced it further and performed remarkably well - but The Beatles made Beatle music. They did songs that simply weren't reasonable songs for the radio of rock & roll fans to count as Pop or Rock music, had anyone else put some of their songs out they would have been laughed at - but The Beatles were so huge and so hugely influential, that whatever they did became an acceptable from or style of Pop/Rock music . . . it was now ok to listen and perform songs like 'that' because The Beatles did it. They changed the course of music in a way Jackson, and nobody else but Benny Goodman, Bing Crosby, Elvis, and Sam Cooke did.

4. Abhaque Supanjang profile image73
        Abhaque Supanjangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Both of them are great. But for me, Michael Jackson is the greater one, because he grow to be the great one in my era. I also like some songs of the Beatles like "yesterday, Michele, mother", but there are many more songs sung by Michael Jackson that I like better --- like Ben, Black and white, Thriller, Billy Jean, earth song, and many more.     

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5809853_f248.jpg

5. dspallino profile image61
        dspallinoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

JUST between those 2, The Beatles. Now if I had to say as a general opinion, I'd say neither.

6. afunda profile image73
        afundaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For me this is like comparing pears and apples.
        Both acts were great. Both rightfully deserved their places in music history, by taking their music where noone dared to before them. Both made music that will be remembered for years and years to come.
        But at the same time, MJ was a true pop artist. Beatles were a pop-rock band.
        Eras when they created were different, so were the styles their nurtured.

With all that, I can not truly say who was greater. Both? None?
        No conclusion from my side.

7. mommyfreelancer profile image75
      mommyfreelancerposted 14 years ago

I have a hub about MJ, I respect his genius. But my all-time love will be the Beatles. I'm in my mid-30s, was born after their heyday, discovered them during my high school years, and was - is - hooked! smile

awsydneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Will check out your MJ hub. I grew up in the 70s but never quite related to The Beatles.

I was more of a Carpenters fan (don't you dare laugh!) and only caught on with MJ's music from his Thriller album in the early 80s as a teenager.

I have since discovered how great Off The Wall among hit other hits! I was a late bloomer!

8. BristolBoy profile image63
      BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

Got to be The Beatles.  And I would guess that even worldwide The Beatles are much more popular as proven by Wikipedia statistics. 

So far in 2009 on Wikipedia The Beatles is the second most popular page (on average of 111,896 views a day), with MJ's page being only 3rd (an average of 79,734 views per day in 2009), despite the fact that there was the death which would be expected to increase traffic. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/w … -2008.html

1. IrishLass2121 profile image58
        IrishLass2121posted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Proven" ??? "Wikipedia "??? You joking?

Facebook is the biggest social networking site in the world at present, yea!?! Well ....Beatles have approx. 40 million Likes ...Michael Jackson?  ....MJ has 70+ million Likes.

As I've said before...Michael Jackson was - is TRULY *Global*!!

9. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years ago

IMO the Beatles changed the world more than anyone else in this category, Elvis  made us rock early on, but then he was drafted and came back to make those silly movies. He luckily rebooted himself and became King in his own right.

10. Eaglekiwi profile image76
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

In my opinion both affected two different generations and most music lovers respect, and enjoy both for uniqueness and entertainment value.

Im glad I dont have to choose, I love both styles smile

awsydneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way, so maybe it reinforces my belief there may not be an answer to this question.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is my answer 'Neither' smile

11. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 14 years ago

Greater in terms of what? Sales, number of fans, influence, originality, albums, singles, top 10 records, songs recorded, albums recorded, uses of the phrase cha mon!? Be more specific.

12. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years ago

The Beatles. Michael entertained. The Beatles sparked a cultural revolution.

13. RooBee profile image82
      RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Beatles. Final answer. smile

14. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Beatles, easy one.  BTW, I saw Elvis perform ~1974.

15. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 14 years ago

Michael Jackson..... smile

16. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 14 years ago

No Doubt The Beatles .

17. SweetiePie profile image82
      SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

The Beatles are the greater of the two smile.  Michael Jackson was talented and I did enjoy a few of his songs, but who can beat Abby Road.  One thing I do admire about Jackson though is he enjoyed listening to the Moody Blues, who I will always like more than the Beatles smile.

18. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Never much cared for either of  'em.  Now, Johnny Cash vs. Waylon Jennings....

1. tony0724 profile image60
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Johnny Cash !

19. profile image0
      HubTubposted 14 years ago

No doubt, The Beatles!

20. broadex2 profile image52
      broadex2posted 14 years ago

its me

21. profile image0
      LEWJposted 14 years ago

The Beatles are greater,  both in scope of influence and scope of contribution.
      Yet it may be a little slanted to compare them broadly; there were 4 of them but only 1 of him.

22. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years ago

michael who?  ..compared to the beatles, no contest

23. DrPPoorluk profile image60
      DrPPoorlukposted 14 years ago

Hands down the Beatles. Jackson Perfected his talent/art above & beyond others in his genre. The Beatles plowed through to create their own.

24. GoldiString profile image60
      GoldiStringposted 14 years ago

Britney Spears. YAY! haha.. oh wait, The Beatles. Final answer.

25. missalyssa profile image60
      missalyssaposted 14 years ago

Absolutely, without a doubt...The Beatles!!! The greatest, most influential band of all time.

26. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I'm going to have to say....The Beatles. smile Oh and Disney is going to do a remake of The Yellow Submarine and it'll be 3D just so ya know

27. Rebecca E. profile image79
      Rebecca E.posted 14 years ago

Beatles. enough said.

28. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Michael Jackson for me.  Never could understand how people like the Beatles. My favorite from that era was The Beach Boys.

29. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years ago

Who's greater, The Beatles or Michael Jackson??

Lynyrd Skynyrd

I don't care if its not a choice!

I'm a Rebel!

30. profile image0
      Louidam1posted 14 years ago

I'm going with Michael Jackson since I grew up with his music.

31. Valerie F profile image61
      Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Knowing what a big fan Michael Jackson was, I bet he would say the Beatles were greater.

32. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Off topic but one singer that a lot of people liked and I couldn't believe they would like was Bob Dylan. What's the appeal? People have said he's very poetic and profound, but I couldn't get past the voice.

33. litasongs profile image60
      litasongsposted 14 years ago

Two word for you Michael Jackson.
      His music not only made the world dance, but it changed the world. One person at a time. I know it changed my life.

34. profile image0
      LEWJposted 14 years ago

Considering 10 Categories By Way Of Comparison, I'd say;

POPULARITY--BEATLES, WITH MJ NOT VERY FAR BEHIND

SINGING---MJ

STAGE PRESENCE--MJ

CHOREOGRAPHY--MJ

MUSICAL IMPACT---BEATLES

CULTURAL IMPACT---BEATLES

SONGWRITING---BEATLES

NUMBER OF INNOVATIONS---BEATLES

DEPTH OF INNOVATIONS---BEATLES

SCOPE OF INNOVATIONS---BEATLES

Of course, another way to look at it is---both did great work.

1. profile image49
        Rahul2118posted 13 years agoin reply to this

good way to look at it,Though in popularity it can be split into-Popularity in US and UK-The Beatles,Popularity the world over including Asia, Africa and South America-Michael Jackson Hands down

35. Maira818 profile image71
      Maira818posted 14 years ago

its four against one. so yea the beatles win

36. stealthystitcher profile image61
      stealthystitcherposted 14 years ago

The Beatles...'nuff said

1. Luciendasky profile image60
        Luciendaskyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you stole my words right out of my mouth big_smile

37. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years ago

there were four Beatles and only one Michael Jackson - that is true. but The Beatles' music was four guys writing, singing, and playing the drums and the guitar. they didn't have an army of mixers, technicians, well connected handlers (Quincy Jones, Smokey Robinson, etc.), publicists (when John Lennon made the gaffe - "we are bigger than Jesus", he handled it himself with a short statement), dancers, lyricists and costume designers...

38. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

this is interesting as both were icons in different eras...my vote goes to the Beatles

39. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Unless you went through "Beatlemania" you cannot imagine the impact and influence they had on music and society.  I've never witnessed anything like it since.  Their lyrics and music was so different than anything before.  As a musician myself, I am still enthralled with many of the songs they wrote and performed.  No two songs are alike, rare for a successful group, then and now.

40. profile image56
      lollieblossomposted 14 years ago

Just listen to Norwegian Wood and you will know there is no comparison. Hey Jude, Mother Mary......need I say more?

41. profile image50
      ms. BADposted 13 years ago

michael jackson,

42. ChristinaScibona profile image70
      ChristinaScibonaposted 13 years ago

I think that whichever decade you grew up in will determine a person's vote here.  I grew up in the 80's so I was influenced more by HJ than the Beatles, but my Mom is a big fan of the Beatles and not MJ.  Different eras, different influences.  Both great musical icons however!

43. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years ago

The beatles, however ther eis no dount that michael jackson also gave a great many contributions to the world of music!

1. ChristinaScibona profile image70
        ChristinaScibonaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thriller will go down in history just like Hey Jude!  LOL we should just call it a tie!

44. TerryGl profile image57
      TerryGlposted 13 years ago

Michael might have contributed to the music world but I am not too sure that any child who was molested would listen to him.

I'll go the Beatles on this one.

45. ChristinaScibona profile image70
      ChristinaScibonaposted 13 years ago

Okay, I'll give you that! I am not a fan of the man himself....just the music!

46. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 13 years ago

Gonna have to say The Beatles. I liked one or two of MJ's songs, but he was never exactly my cup of tea.

47. Glenn S. profile image58
      Glenn S.posted 13 years ago

The Beatles, no doubt,

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...with MJ a hairlength away from the top.

I have to get my MJ fix often. if you've never seen his powerful Earth Song video, check it out on youtube. he spoke to and for the world.

48. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

my father said the Beatles

I say both!

49. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

The Beatles

50. getitrite profile image70
      getitriteposted 13 years ago

Tough questiion!

Being a musician I was influenced by both, and I like them both.

In the end Michael Jackson was the greatest entertainer of all time.

51. N. Ramius profile image73
      N. Ramiusposted 13 years ago

Easy. Michael Jackson as I only like one of his songs and none of the Beatles.

52. Jackson Riddle profile image49
      Jackson Riddleposted 13 years ago

MJ BABY!

53. isinson profile image59
      isinsonposted 13 years ago

I've grown up listening to MJ's songs and I'm quite fascinated by it and stirred a deep yearning to make our world a better place even in my own little way. lol big_smile anyway,i love his moves!

I've also heard songs from The Beatles but i have to admit it didn't quite catch my interest.

54. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years ago

MJ did great songs, but they couldn't touch the Beatles! Their songs are largely dated now, but I'm sure if John Lennon was still alive he'd still be writing those great songs. All the Beatles were singer/songwriters - with maybe the exception of Ringo Starr? Or did he write any?
      What did Michael Jackson write?

1. profile image49
        Rahul2118posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Many of the hits like 'Billie Jean,Heal the world,Earth song,Man in the mirror,Bad ' to name a few.

2. johnwindbell profile image66
        johnwindbellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

.....and who was it that bought the rights to who's songs?

3. profile image0
        cynamansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Michael Jackson the king of pop wrote at least 181 songs dumb ass. Here is a list of some of them.

Scream, Beat it, another part of me, black or white, jam, can you feel it, remember the time, heal the world, the way you make me feel, liberian girl, dangerous, shake your body (down to the ground), i just can't stop loving you, in the closet, we are the world, smooth criminal, stranger in moscow, say say say, wanna be starting somethin, will you be there, give into me, the girl is mine, can you feel it, break of dawn, you rock my world. billie jeane,  dirty diana, bad, lovely one, leave me alone and state of shock to name a few. The list goes on and on. Educate yourself before you post bullshit.

55. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 13 years ago

In regard to the Beatles or Michael Jackson, both are top of the line artists for their time.  I enjoy both and couldn't possibly choose one over the other.

I'm not sure who I discovered first...Michael Jackson as a little man within the Jackson 5 or the Beatles after hearing Paul McCartney and Wings for the first time.  It seemed as if I heard something else by the Beatles (something I hadn't heard before) every year, and at the same time Michael Jackson was always heard on the radio with something new.

The Beatles artistry lies within their songwriting and their mastery of performance.  Michael Jackson's artistry was evidenced throughout his life by way of pure talent in singing, dancing, songwriting, image make-overs, and visionary videos. 

Which do I listen to the most?  It depends on what mood I'm in.  smile

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image60
        Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In this part of the world, the Beetles don't make much sense. But if am to go with this thread, I think both played their part and both still move us in our different ways. Michael, was a genius.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
          Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hand down by the books the Beetles over everyone

Best 100 Musicians   
          Greatest Artists of All Time
          Greater entertainer than MJ

I love Both

1. IrishLass2121 profile image58
            IrishLass2121posted 9 years agoin reply to this

“Greatest Artists of All Time “ ???

You mean *Group*, don’t you? We are talking a group and one entity – different dynamics altogether!

"Greater *entertainer* than MJ" ???

“entertainer” or entertainer(S)? Again…we are talking a group and one entity – Apples and an Orange! Or, Oranges and an Apple!

Here is the more realistic way of putting it:

Now...Take all the Beatles as a *Solo* (just as MJ was) "entertainer"....(I LOVE Paul with Wings / solo and 2-3 Lennon songs)....However...Not ONE of the Beatles as SOLO artists has had the *Global* impact / influence that Michael had. You can’t dispute that fact!

There lies the answer!

Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The none of the Beatles were millionaire until they Brock up and went solo.

A strong group compared to a solo one, more often wins, plus three of the solo artist of the Beatles lived to a longer life span.

When we look at the whole body of work and world wide positive influences , Beatles wins.

1. profile image0
                Beth37posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Plus they never molested anyone.

Personally I don't believe that story, yet no doubt few entertainers are stranger than Jackson. The guy miss out on this own childhood.

Do believe the Pope molested some, they were just better at covering it up. All those massive strange secretes and BS to protect along with much greater money to protect themselves with.

It's all show biz.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)