Who's greater, The Beatles or Michael Jackson??

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 131 discussions (210 posts)
  1. profile image54
    kyana burhiteposted 13 years ago

defentle mickle jackson

2. Tom_Radford profile image60
    Tom_Radfordposted 13 years ago

Michael Jackson was a very talented guy and I admire him immensly. But the Beatles changed turned the world upside down with what they did. And they wrote all their own stuff too! They're both great for different reasons but for me it's the Beatles every time!

3. recklessfunk profile image60
    recklessfunkposted 13 years ago

Definitely The Beatles. They'll always be timeless, and so will their music.

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree...

4. Pand0ra profile image57
    Pand0raposted 13 years ago

Beatles. By a long stretch. I do love Michael, too, though.

5. Doreen Beech profile image59
    Doreen Beechposted 13 years ago

I do love the Beatles but Michael just had the edge for me.

If I was born a couple of years before, then things could have been different.

smile

6. Canklefish profile image81
    Canklefishposted 13 years ago

Apples and Oranges...

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

no contest

The Beatles

but MJ was never part of my world, I remember In Living Color's spoofs of Michael Jackson and Weird Al's "Im Fat" much more vividly then the classic MJ that they were based on.

My first memorable exposure to MJ was the video for "You are not alone?", where he looks very alien, for the movie "Free Willy"

His public image kept him from ever being taken seriously within my age group and culture - MJ was synonymous with bad child abuse jokes and poor self image.(for me)

The Beatles on the other hand are a daily part of my life and are constantly made relevant again and again.

on an ironic note, Michael Jackson owned the publishing rights to The Beatles catalog!

8. paulstephenuk profile image58
    paulstephenukposted 13 years ago

I gotta go for Jackson personally, The Beatles are legends I give them that, but Michaels music does it for me.

1. profile image0
      cynamansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

couldn't agree more. Great answer.

9. Johnnie Black profile image62
    Johnnie Blackposted 13 years ago

Michael Jackson for me

I find the Beatles a bit twee and effete

10. nikmaya62 profile image59
    nikmaya62posted 13 years ago

4ever and still The Beatles.... I love Them.

11. Balmung profile image58
    Balmungposted 13 years ago

I didn't know Michael Jackson sung? Thought he only danced. Anyways, probably The Beatles.

1. Johnnie Black profile image62
      Johnnie Blackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

MJ was a hell of a singer!  Amazing range

2. Resolver2009 profile image61
      Resolver2009posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seems a bit ignorant to provide us with an answer on the matter if you did not even know that Michael Jackson sung... one of the greatest musicians to walk this planet we call home. R.I.P Michael

12. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 13 years ago

Without the Beatles there would have been no Michael Jackson. The Beatles changed the face of popular music and made space for MJ. MJ was not an innovator, he changed nothing whereas the Beatles changed the face of music in a way that changed broadcasting and popular culture.
    The Beatles took the ownership of popular music off an older generation and gave it to youth.
    The question is who's greater. Without a shadow of doubt The Beatles had a much greater and lasting impact on pop than MJ ever did.
    Ask yourself, in forty years time will MJ still be influential or no more than a footnote in the history of popular music.

1. Johnnie Black profile image62
      Johnnie Blackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hard to say there wouldn't be an MJ without The Beatles.  His earliest music owed far more to R&B, soul, funk and disco than to anything from english pop.  Later he was a major innovator, while the Beatles for most of their career just repackaged black american music and made it acceptable to a white audience.

2. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Without the Beatles there would have been no Michael Jackson.

John, you are so right on this one. Michael was great no doubt. But The Beatles changed everything.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

Looks to me like people are forgetting Michael Jackson was the first black artist played on MTV ~ MJ changed the culture of music more than anything, by breaking the race barrier.  Something the Beatles didn't have to worry about. 

And let's not forget, MJ began his career while still a child - something the Beatles didn't do.

3. profile image0

John Holden are you kidding me, Michael jackson was not inspired by the beatles but by the hardest working man in show business james brown. Michael jackson said it himself, if it wasn't for james brown and jakie wilson he would have never been an entertainer. what the hell are you talking about? Where are you getting your facts from? while the beatles did changed the sound of early rock and roll and became symbols of cultural revolution in their era and time., You can't say that  michael didn't becuase he also did in the early 1980s. the king of pop changed radio formats, music videos, stage performance  dance, fashion and global pop culture forever with his legendary never to be surpassed 1982 thriller album. He made American pop music global while paving the way for fellow african american pop stars of yesterday and today.. Michael was more than an innovator. He was a musical genius. piorneer and global icon. Michael jackson is American music Royalty and that will never change. I respect the beatles but they are no michael jackson. No one can touch him. he is in a league of his own. truely the greatest entertainer that ever lived. No other icons will ever trump Michael or his legacy. R.I.P King of music and entertainment. ps michael jackson name will not only be remebered in forty years but for as long as the world still breaths life and love. personally I believe his name may even become mythical as this generation dies and others yet to be born one day  discover jackson and his music. they may find it unbelivable that a generation before them actually lived in his time and was too stupid to appreciate an great artist of his stature.  Anyways Rip  Michael your name will never die but live in eternal love forever. thanks for the great music, god bless you and your  iconic family.

4. IrishLass2121 profile image58
      IrishLass2121posted 10 years agoin reply to this

@John Holden

Hold–on, more like it…You must be here to have a cheap laugh!?!

“Without the Beatles there would have been no Michael Jackson. The Beatles changed the face of popular music and made space for MJ. MJ was not an innovator, he changed nothing whereas the Beatles changed the face of music in a way that changed broadcasting and popular culture”

It is the nature of this planet and its species to *Evolve*  Music  was going to continue evolving, anyway...That is the nature of the world - just  like fashion in all its forms - clothes - décor - textiles - furnishings - technology and so forth. The Beatles influenced their fans, full stop. Again, music, with or without – was destined to evolve, regardless.  You use the wrong choice of words…Highly exaggerated and self-righteous – totally over the top would explain your perception here.  So, by your logic, without all the black artists and their music styles, there would have been no Elvis Presley…Or do you just have a certain rule and perception when it comes to MJ!?!

“The Beatles took the ownership of popular music off an older generation and gave it to youth.”

Oh, really? And MJ achieved a bigger feat, by taking elements of Soul – Blues – R&B – Rock and Pop and added his extra touch …”and gave it…” not ONLY to the “youth”, but to people of **ALL** ages, to enjoy – From the ages of 2 to 82…People of ALL Races – ALL Cultures – ALL Religions, etc. Michael Jackson has the largest amount of, and most varied fans on the planet. That, in itself, is a feat never accomplished by any other artist/s in history.

And, you know damn well what MJ is accredited for regarding changing /setting a standard …and music video (Short film) is one of them, stop living in denial.

Your last four sentences are just bags of air that I wouldn’t even waste my time addressing…I really do think you are here for a laugh. After all is said and done, *History speaks the truth and, thankfully, some of that truth can be witnessed through various forms of media – Especially in undeniable film format across the Internet, alone... And, MJ had more **global** impact than any other – Group or solo!!

He was a multiple record-breaker for *Firsts* - Concert attendances and on and on - even breaking records after his passing.

Just a few of his listings in Guinness Book of World Records:

“Artist of the Decade”, “Artist of the Century”, “Artist of the Millennium” - (Bambi Awards) and “Living Legend Award”

"The Most Successful Entertainer of All Time* and on and on… He is officially the “Most Awarded Artist in History”, with over 300 awards for his “record-breaking”  music career.

Lastly I will leave you with this:

Now...Take the Beatles as *Solo* (just as MJ) artists ....Yep! LOVE Paul with Wings / solo... and 2-3 Lennon songs....However...Not ONE of the Beatles as solo artists has had the *Global* impact / influence that Michael had. You can’t dispute that fact!

Oh, and forgot to remind you…The J5 knocked the Beatles off the #1 spot more than once, LOL.

13. Resolver2009 profile image61
    Resolver2009posted 13 years ago

The Beatles; they paved the road for great music to come.

1. profile image0

Only in Erope and America, that doesn't account for the whole world hater. Michael jackson true king of all human hearts with his music the world over. rip Michael

1. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Beatles helped pave the way for ALL pop music - the legendary band at the right time, Michael Jackson was the greater performer - but the Beatles were the business when it comes to new ways and song writing.

Different horses on different courses.

1. profile image0
          Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed!  smile

1. recommend1 profile image61
            recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Banned for agreeing with me !  -  oops sorry, wrong thread big_smile

14. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

John Lennon is the best

"Imagine"

"Stand By Me"

"Woman"

plus "Give Peace A Chance"

1. profile image0

Give Michael jackson a chance after all he was peace and love.

15. kazemaru2 profile image59
    kazemaru2posted 13 years ago

It depends Beatles were the fist pop culture sensation while Michael Jackson garnered over 1 billion viewers at his memorial. They both sold an excess of 600 million records and have created numerous controversies in their careers.

16. tom_caton profile image80
    tom_catonposted 13 years ago

The Beatles without a doubt.

Aside from making some great tunes they also pioneered recording techniques, many of which are still relevant, if updated, today

1. profile image0

There is no doubt Tom caton or should i say looney loon, It will always be Michael jackson the greatest musician ever.

17. lindacee profile image86
    lindaceeposted 13 years ago

Unquestionably the "Fab Four".

1. profile image0

no reason for questioning #1 Michael jackson, forever the greatest.

18. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Is this question for real?

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, you'd be surprised MM, but some people think beatles are greater. yikes

2. profile image56
      RedTimbreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha. Sounds like a question from David After Dentist.  The question shall part the Red Seas of subjective interest no less.

19. MichelleArakaki profile image60
    MichelleArakakiposted 13 years ago

Ofcourse The Beatles

1. profile image0

Nooo Michelle, of course Michael jackson

20. Joyus Crynoid profile image74
    Joyus Crynoidposted 13 years ago

You've got to be kidding!

21. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

Beatles!

1. profile image0

Michael Jackson!

22. profile image0
    Aleister888posted 13 years ago

I think that the Beatles would be considered more important, im not sure if i could personally say better...

Its partly up to personal interpretation but i dont think anyone can deny that the Beatles pushed music forward in the rock and roll genres that ultimately gave way to industry Michael thrived in...

Personally, i like them both smile

1. profile image0

Only in America will the beatles be more important. the reason for this Racism. ever heard of it?

23. profile image49
    lheiaposted 13 years ago

Michael Jackson hands down!

I grew up with Michael Jackson's music, Eventhough i wasnt even a fan before his passing but I cannot deny the fact that even at such a young age he amazed me already with his talents especially his dance moves, and when he passed away I listen more to his music and he really was a genius! I admire his every lyrics to his songs especially Man in the Mirror, Heal the world, Earth song, We are the world, The lost children.. smile i cannot say much about the Beatles, but i know some of their songs because my mom likes them.. But Im really into MICHAEL JACKSON. He is just so popular in my country! even my 4 year old nephew loves him!

1. nflagator profile image68
      nflagatorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to Hubpages lheia

24. Christopher Price profile image60
    Christopher Priceposted 13 years ago

Michael Jackson was the greatest Entertainer of his era, but the Beatles were pivotal in creating a new era. Their music grew with and defined a generation.

1. profile image0

So did michael jackson music and career Hater.

25. Sarah Masson profile image60
    Sarah Massonposted 13 years ago

I'd have to go with The Beatles but I do adore Michael Jackson's music as well.

26. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

The Beatles appeal to more different groups and cultures.  They are timeless.

1. profile image0

logic may i remind you, the king of pop michael jackson appealed to the whole world, meaning all cultures and racial groups. all jokes aside. the only person who was ever bigger or greater than michael jackson especially in his prime was jesus christ. with that said i rest my case.

2. IrishLass2121 profile image58
      IrishLass2121posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds more like you are referencing Michael Jackson?

27. profile image0
    moncrieffposted 13 years ago

The question is pointless. Apples and oranges. It's like asking who's greater, Tchaikovsky or the Beatles?

1. profile image0

It would still be Michael jackson Hater. get over it jackass.

28. profile image56
    RedTimbreposted 13 years ago

You really can't compare the two just because they had a dump-truck of radio hits.  The Beatles were a rock ensemble that evolved and explored very new terrain, but Michael Jackson was one man and evolved within the dance music category, from Motown funk to instrumental disco to synth-heavy dance pop, to post-mortem hand puppet for Akon and a room full of greedy enablers.  And Michael Jackson was all about theatrics, the Beatles stopped that once they started locking themselves in the studio and letting their albums breathe as full-bodied organisms.  If you said Beatles v. Stones, that'd be easy: Beatles.  The Stones, even while they passed through disco territory and had some orchestral pretentions, didn't often snap out of their obsessions with being rural black bluesmen or work to expand their sound very much or explore different genres.

29. nflagator profile image68
    nflagatorposted 13 years ago

Greater? I agree with moncrieff; Greater in what terms?
    Since none are specified, I pick the Beatles.

1. profile image0

Your just another hater who knows in your heart, michael jackson will always be number 1.

30. kereeves3 profile image81
    kereeves3posted 13 years ago

The Beatles, without a doubt.

1. profile image0

Michael jackson moron there is no doubt.

31. thirdmillenium profile image62
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

I humbly submit there is just no comparison at all. Different times, different tastes, different environs and ethos, no sir, there is no comparison but if you held a gun to my head,..........well, isn't it obvious?

1. profile image0

Yes it is michael jackson forever king. now should i pull the trigger? just kidding, don't take it personal (LoL).

32. My Stories profile image60
    My Storiesposted 12 years ago

I will have to say Michael Jackson.

33. profile image0
    bharath.adupaposted 12 years ago

Its Michael jackson..........

34. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

This is a bit of a tough one considering both have had tremendous impacts on the music industry as a whole.  However, I would have to lean more towards the Beattles by a land slide.  Not only did their style of music help change the fabric of rock, they also defined a generation through their music.

Sure, Michael Jackson may have revolutionized the way pop music is today, and has been known to come up with a lot innovative videos.  However, I would have to go with the Beattles.

35. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 12 years ago

The Beatles of course on all seven days of every week plus that extra day that comes along. That makes it eight days a week. smile

36. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

the beatles were not great dancers.......

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Beatles, and here is why. When they came on the scene, rock was in a rut. CW was becoming more popular, and the biggest names, Elvis and the Beach Boys weren't doing that well., Elvis was concentrating on movies. The Beatles were fresh, new. The creativity of John and Paul soon began to blow everyone away, including the bad boy "Rolling Stones". With the genius of George Martin, the Beatles tracks quickly became gems, each one unlike the last, and with the improvement of multi-track recording and mixing, raised the quality of each song. Innovations and recording gags, gave them a synthesizer like sound before synthesizers were invented. Three superb albums, each better than the last, in one year! (1965). They stretched the envelope. So MJ could dance. So could James Brown. Evidently MJ liked the Beatles, too. He ended up at one point owning the rights to much of their music.

37. Don Ship profile image74
    Don Shipposted 12 years ago

Michael Jackson. C'mon guys, it's OBVIOUS! tongue

38. aw1219 profile image61
    aw1219posted 12 years ago

I don't believe that they should be in the same category because they are both unique in their own right.  I don't think they could be compared.  Of course, many do compare them but if you would ask me who is more influential and relevant today, I would have to say Michael Jackson because he is still releasing new material, his style is immulated and copied by many mainstream artists today, and there is still a great deal of interest, speculation, and curiosity about his life.  I would be more likely to compare the Beatles with the Jackson Five.

39. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

different time in history,in Michaels' age, the technology was more advanced, I will say Both were best, but in their respective times.

40. Johnathan L Groom profile image36
    Johnathan L Groomposted 12 years ago

Michael Jackson's power was the Beatles influence on music.  The chicken and the egg theory- the Beatles were, and are, obviously more important.

41. Matt in Jax profile image60
    Matt in Jaxposted 12 years ago

Without a doubt, the Beatles. Jackson's "Thriller" was amazing, but doesn't stack up to the career of the Beatles.

42. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

I'll read up the thread later, but you've got to be joking. How could one even attempt to compare even just Lennon by himself with the moon-walker.  O.K., Michael was quite talented and beloved too; and he did write some of his own music. Very sad about what happened to him.

43. Johnathan L Groom profile image36

The Beatles ar more influential in music.  If they are being discussed and their last records were produced in the 70's, then how is it a debate since Mr. Jackson didn't arrive until some years later?  The timeless Beatles, of course!

44. Johnathan L Groom profile image36

*are

45. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 12 years ago

The Beatles, from Sunday to the very next Sunday totalling eight days a week. smile smile smile

Oops! Did not realize that I posted before! Never mind, I still maintain it's the Beatles!

46. L. Spikes profile image67
    L. Spikesposted 12 years ago

I don't think you can fairly compare the two. There are too many differences: Group v. solo; chosen genres; familiarity of the same songwriting duo (Lennon and McCartney, primarily) v. MJ writing either solo or with many different collaborators (even McCartney on occasion); historical impact based on different eras (media, technology, etc.), world issues, and politics; and the list goes on. Each are legendary by their respective merits. Based on the music, I love and respect them both.

47. martinrocks_88 profile image59
    martinrocks_88posted 12 years ago

Of course BEATLES!!!!!!!!!!

48. dfunzy profile image61
    dfunzyposted 12 years ago

The Beatles. There is no contest here.

49. Hunbbel Meer profile image76
    Hunbbel Meerposted 12 years ago

Both were great, but I guess BEALTES stand apart!

50. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

Comparing Michael Jackson to the Beatles is like comparing a Big Mac to Fillet Mignon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)