jump to last post 1-21 of 21 discussions (30 posts)

What was your favorite musical era ?

1. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 7 years ago

I grew up In the late 70s and early 80s and came up with the punk rock movement . It was a very exciting time . I liked the 60s too. But what era did It for you ?

2. coyjay profile image77
    coyjayposted 7 years ago

Without question, the sixties was my favorite era in music. Bob Dylan , Simon and Gurfunkel, Moody Blues, Joan Baez. This was music that had words that really meant something. Can any piece match Dylan's Blowing in the Wind, or The Times They are a Changing? Or, Simon and Garfunkel's The Sounds of Silence, and The Boxer. I still play sixties music and it hasn't lost it's magic.

tony0724posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree that the music of the sixties was not only great artistically but so much more socially relevant !

3. 0
    mtsi1098posted 7 years ago

It was the 80's for me - so much good music...

I loved the 80s !

1. 0
        mtsi1098posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I just cannot get enough 80's CD's or MP3 downloads...

2. 0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

i second that!

agreed !

4. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I was teenager in the late 60's, but I have to say I think a lot of the pop music in the 80's and early 90's was pretty good.  It was couple of "notches" before my time, but I think there was something very nice about the Doo Wop (sp?) era.

5. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

I love all kinds of music from the 50' to today you can see I don't really have an era but if I had to pick at least two it would be the 50's and the 90's. I love oldies, hip hop. jazz and blues. smile

6. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

My favorite musical eras were the 40s (before my time but I love the music), the 60s and the 80s.

Big Band was the precursor to Rock n Roll !

7. marcofratelli profile image81
    marcofratelliposted 7 years ago

I really got into music in from the early 90s, starting with Michael Jackson's "Black or White" video. That's when I started taking notice of it all! 90s is my favorite - the whole decade was great.

8. quicksand profile image85
    quicksandposted 7 years ago

As a little kid, when I heard "Jailhouse Rock" I was fascinated! It sure was real music! Then onwards to Cliff Richards, Billy Vaughn, Mario Lanza ... Flash forward ... Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Bob Dylan, Bee Gees, Chicago, Three Dog Nite ... flash forward ... Madonna. Period.

9. 0
    annvansposted 7 years ago

I thought I knew what I liked when I was a teenager, then quickly learned that I liked the old country music my parents used to listen to.  Waylon Jennings days were great.

I tried to listen to rock music, but didn't come up with much I liked.  I still listen to Waylon Jennings songs that I liked when I was a kid.

10. 0
    gwennies penposted 7 years ago

All music is wonderful in itself, don't you think?  Even some of the 40's had their day in movies and now on cd's.  I prefer 50's and 60's...basically soft rock, smooth jazz and a little of country and classical...but in reality, I think it all has a place in our lives at some point.smile

11. europewalker profile image82
    europewalkerposted 7 years ago

Definitely the 80's

12. laquonda1987 profile image60
    laquonda1987posted 7 years ago

im an late 80's baby so i would say the early to mid 90's

13. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

70's, yes, definitely; real musicians...I used to skip over the 80's, but they are growing on me.  90's, yep.  I'm an REM and the like fan... 

I actually like all different kinds of music, especially blues and jazz.  Found out I like Regaton...Latin/hiphop/reggae recently...interesting mix!

14. sabrebIade profile image85
    sabrebIadeposted 7 years ago

I have a real soft spot for the 80s.
    But basically anything before 2000.
    I don't know what happened, but about 2000 it seems like they dropped a "dumb bomb" on the music industry.
    I blame MTV.
    Or rather what it became.

BTW, on a similar note, remember when music videos were like mini movies?
    They actually told stories?

I blame the Boy Bands !

15. bethziemer profile image60
    bethziemerposted 7 years ago

For me it would have to be the 60's and the 70's. A lot of music genre's were born in that time, it was a time of birth and creation in the artist movement, that has given us the music we now enjoy today.

16. Rhianna_Lee profile image60
    Rhianna_Leeposted 7 years ago

Seeing as how I've been only alive 22 years didn't get to experienced first had half of the music generations.  My favourite music eras though are prolly 70's punk rock movement becuase it was the first stepping stone away from mainstream.  Which then leads me to my love of the passive nihilist way of grunge in the early 90's.  I hate the word "indie" rock becuase to me honestly it doesn't really matter if you are on an independent or major record label.  I do love the whole alternative/ "indie" rock sound in general ranging from early 90's to current date.  Then closley relating punk I enjoy 80's new wave music and sound.  I like anything pretty much raw to sh*t musically... don't care if it is "bad" or "good".  I like the mod crappe.

17. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 7 years ago

oh boy, sabreblade hit the nail on the head, what happened? i grew up in the 60's and listen to music from the 1920's to new and must say that every musical form has its greatness and a whole lot of stinkers.

18. kerryg profile image86
    kerrygposted 7 years ago

My favorite eras are the 1800's in general (big classical and opera fan) and the late 1960's-early 1970's, but I like a pretty eclectic mix of music from all eras, I think.

I listen to classical when I leave work , It calms me down !

19. Joelle Burnette profile image84
    Joelle Burnetteposted 7 years ago

I'm an 80s girl. My hubby wonders why I have satellite radio on my car when it is always stuck on the 80s channel. (With a brief respite for Prairie Home Companion on the weekend)

I like Prairie Home and " Wait Wait dont tell me ! "

20. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 7 years ago

Every era does indeed have its musical greats, but if I had to pick one particular era, it would be music's Romantic Period for the sheer volume of musical heavy-hitters that period produced.

21. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 7 years ago

I love 90's rock.  Grunge, and the rest.