jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

1. Wonder_Woman profile image60
    Wonder_Womanposted 7 years ago

Post your favorite movie an why smile

2. R.Edwards profile image78
    R.Edwardsposted 7 years ago

Morgan Freeman alongside Denzel Washington and a cast of other stars really made me admire the perseverance of those soldiers when facing all the obstacles before them. It was a harsh war as it would be for any man, north or south in those days and they were especially at odds because of the color of their skin. A definate classic that if you haven't seen, you should definately check out.

Wonder_Womanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think my fav movie from Denzel washignton had to be Jhon Q. such a intense movie!

3. R.Edwards profile image78
    R.Edwardsposted 7 years ago

Yea that movie was pretty intense and in my opinion, better than Pursuit of Happiness. Good movie.

Wonder_Womanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Have you seen 7 POUNDS?

4. topgunjager profile image61
    topgunjagerposted 7 years ago

My fair lady with audrey hepburn. i just find it interesting how they lived at those times. the way they talk, the way they dress themselves up, everyone was just so proper even the the improper ones.

5. theageofcake profile image76
    theageofcakeposted 7 years ago

I'm not sure about an all time favorite, but the most recent film I've been obsessively mulling over is Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche, New York.

There's an exceptional attentiveness to detail.  The narrative is incredibly complex and is virtually impossible to absorb in a single viewing.  Jon Brion, as usual, composes a heartbreaking soundtrack.  The set designs are unbelievably elaborate.  Many will dismiss the movie as self indulgent and pretentious, but this is true artistic ambition that drives home some pretty fantastic themes.  Above all, it stands out for creating a universe that borrows from both real life and literary logic.  It uniquely feels like a writer's world, in which symbols, non-linear passages of time, and metaphors are treated with as much validity as plausible real life situations. 

Its hard to explain unless you've seen it, but, for example, a woman moves into a perpetually burning house, which, years after the fact, kills her (incidentally, it was smoke inhalation that did her in, though the house still stands).  In another scene, our central character finds the journal of his daughter who had left it behind as a child, but new entries appear to be writing themselves in her absence.  It becomes a device through which we learn of his daughter's growth without him, and is really happening in the universe of the film, yet it makes no sense when compared to "real life" logic.  In many ways, Kaufman appears to be pushing himself to his limits as a writer, and the ending is, well, worth seeing.

Not to mention the cast is phenomenal.  I've always loved Philip Seymour Kaufman and Catherine Keener, but Samantha Morton, Emily Watson, Tom Noonan, Hope Davis, Dianne Wiest, and Michelle Williams are all excellent as well.

Truly, a widely unsung masterpiece.

6. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

oh my gosh, I have so many. I don't think I could narrow it down to one!! big_smile