Name the band you think has had the most impact on music.

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (89 posts)
  1. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Let me start .. Joy Division, because of unique sound.  There really wasnt anything like it at the time and since. Many bands model themselves on them and they are thought of as highly influencial.  If it werent for Joy division, there may not have been Editor and Interpol, for example.

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Buddy Holly, if its historical you are looking for
      not sure

Jon

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im looking for major influences... yes Buddy Holly has had a great impact on music! x

2. Drew Breezzy profile image61
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hate to say it but the beatles

3. steve1717 profile image57
      steve1717posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Beatles without a doubt.

2. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Has to be 'The Pixies'.

They saved us from atrocious big hair rock smile

3. wesleyacarter profile image58
    wesleyacarterposted 14 years ago

As for modern rock bands. Tool. there is no band that hasn't been influenced by them one way or another.

Each musician sets a standard and their messages are extremely involved, dynamic and intelligent.

if we are looking for historical, then I would say that its between the beatles and probably frank zappa.

1. profile image0

yes.. this is good.. they have both helped music evolve into many different genres.

4. hudsonj1994 profile image60
    hudsonj1994posted 14 years ago

The Fray big_smile I love that band

5. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 14 years ago

The Beatles probably had the widest influence - then there's Led Zepplin.....and of course....ABBA *grin*

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image69
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm surprised it took 6 posts before someone mentioned Led Zepplin.

2. profile image0

God.. yes.. Abba - very melodic with great chorus and hook lines x

6. pioneer_writer5 profile image57
    pioneer_writer5posted 14 years ago

The Rolling Stones had a great impact on Rock music.

1. profile image0

They would have to form part of the trunk in my tree example.. i think,

7. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 14 years ago

I should also mention Rush. They always seem to be the forgotten rock band...but they influenced so many...Tool for one....and they were also voted the best musicians of the 70s (I think!) - OK so I am very biased - but a lot of the rock bands of the 70s such as Floyd, Sabbath, Zepplin, Rush, Scorpions, Rainbow, Deep Purple really brought Rock to the forefront and have influenced modern day rock...

1. profile image0

Another branch here.. psychodelia into metal..so who influenced them?

8. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

As for the times of and beyond the 1960s, I'd offer the Beatles for that designation.   Why?
    Because soft Rock,  heavy metal,  70s punk (which sometimes resembled a hybrid child of heavy metal),  chamber instrument Rock (like  the string work in Eleanor Rigby), Eastern instrumentation (Harrison pieces) and newly experimental Rock, all began inside the Beatles.
    These styles were either suggested in their work or definably started.   Helter Skelter is credited as the first clear sample of heavy metal in Rock music.  Through effective experimentation, they helped Rock music to grow up, in a sense, beyond its doo-wop period.   Then they proceeded to build on the growth they'd spawned, causing it to go in new directions.

The above musical forms diverged and morphed over the following decades but are recognized by aware music folk as being Beatle innovations.
    The Beatles also took the lead in breaking the 3-minute studio record barrier by introducing some hugely popular "long"  songs like Hey Jude and A Day In The Life, which started to get radio airplay.  That changed the radio airplay format.                A  formidable accomplishment.
    This change can be traced by a comparison of studio song length up to the time of the appearance of certain of their songs.

The Beatles broadened the type of song themes that could be included in Rock music, and in the process actually got teenagers to listen to and love music they could'nt dance to-!                A revolutionary achievement in itself....
    They introduced sudden and occasionally radical yet enjoyable changes in song tempo, chord progression and tonal imagery.   
    The boys from Liverpool are also credited with introducing the  "concept"  album  to Rock music.
    They did all this, and they did it prolificly.   Who did they influence and musically inspire?   Some of everybody then and that came after them on the pop scene, including the contemporary Beach Boys after they heard the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album.
    By the time they broke up they had to their credit a large collection of art, a lot of it good, much of it excellent, and some of it truly great.

1. profile image0

Yes... and it was skiffle that influenced the beatles... (Now I think my tree is starting to form roots). x

9. Jon Green profile image84
    Jon Greenposted 14 years ago

Definitely The Beatles - just ask any band, they are always acknowledged as the most creative. LEWJ has done such a good job, I'll just agree!

10. profile image0

Kraftwerk----

11. zadrobi profile image61
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

Among others, Chuck Berry.

1. profile image0

would you say Bill Hayley?  Elvis... now we are moving into the realms of Gospel, arent we?

12. Sufidreamer profile image80

Bo Diddley has to be one of the roots - one of the first to really experiment with electric guitars smile

EDIT: Kraftwerk is a good shout - Gary Numan, too - a big influence upon industrial metal.

If you are looking for branches, Bathory were at the forefront of black metal etc.

1. profile image0

could we put him into skiffle?  Or does he merge into folk?  We do need some folk influences here..

13. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

The Bumble Town Council Men's Room Quartet!

These guys were responsible for the introduction of Tuber sounds into the orchestral movements of the mayor and his councellors. lol

The Quartet also went on to be major contributors to the musical development of Whoopee Cushions. big_smile

1. profile image0

LOL .. we had someone like that play at the Glastonbury Festival last year... hehehe... I wonder if Neil Young liked them!

14. Sufidreamer profile image80

Diddly was blues/rock - ZZ Top cited him as their biggest influence!

Folk: Django Reinhardt and Planxty. Not sure about the US folk scene smile

15. profile image0

Going back... Paul Robeson - a great baratone vocalist who championed the cause for black people through music.  C1930s!

16. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Historically speaking, Blues, Jazz, and Country pre-dated and influenced skiffle.
    The Beatles were deeply influenced by Blues music after they dropped skiffle.
    Blues and Jazz are something like the Poppa of 20th century musical influence, enclosing even skiffle.    Blues and Jazz influenced the development of Rock Music, as history again shows.
    And if somebody ever gets the notion to hear an orchestral version of the roots of Rock n' Roll and Pop Music, all they have to do is quietly take in Stravinsky's  La Sacre Du Printemps (The Rite Of Spring, 1913).

17. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

Hands down The Beatles as they revolutionized and changed the face of Modern Rock and Roll . You have to Include Led Zep and The Ramones as well . Both were heavy Influences on modern music as It Is done today . Rage against the Machine was probably one of the Bigger Influences on modern rock In the last 20 years .

1. profile image0

agreed, ... what about punk? THE CLASH 'London Calling'! Later, the style merged into dub

18. TimTurner profile image68
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

No band influenced the entire music spectrum.  You would have to pick bands in different genres that influenced the entire genre.

I would think Elvis had more of an influence on rock, country and blues over the Beatles.

But it's hard finding one artist that affected music in all genres.

1. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes there Is , The Beatles ! 40 years later they have a guitar hero game named In their resume !

1. TimTurner profile image68
        TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Elvis inspired the Beatles smile

1. sannyasinman profile image60
          sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So did Chuck Berry, but The Beatles took things to a completely new level.

1. profile image0
            LEWJposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly....I think that if the overall radius and scope of impact on music is confined to ONE BAND (as originally asked in this forum's title), after all is said and done the journey would lead right back to The Beatles, so long as the time-frame of the impact involves the 60s and beyond in the category of popular music.

1. profile image0
    2. profile image0

Yep.. see my  like comments on thinking music genre like a tree... x

19. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

Papa Elvis, Led Zep and Rolling Stones

20. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

I'm sure it was that group of cavemen who invented the drmus=)

21. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

No seriously, I think it's lil kim, she inspired all the whoress running around in the world today, she made being a biznatch seem cool=)

22. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Minor influencies are important also.
    King crimson
    Gentle giant
    Yes
    Pink floyd
    Genesis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3BFuxBayxg

Nice choice on Gentle Giant they had to be one of the most Interesting prog/rock groups ever !

2. profile image0

Genesis...ummm... Peter Gabriel!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely Peter Gabriel...

1. profile image0

well.. he was the original lead singer in Genesis! hehehe x

But he has done so much more since. He has influenced so many musicians and he continues to help up and coming musicians.

1. profile image0

Absolutely... what with 'Real World' music.  WOMAD. bringing traditional music from all over the world to the masses.  He lives near me... has a studio outside of Bath x

23. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

No need to look very far, its the Scousers of course.
    Never heard of them? Try the lads from Liverpool . . .otherwise known as
    . The Beatles.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

a band? Beatles, I agree. they have so many different styles that have influenced music. Woody Guthrie, although he's not a band also was a huge influence to music.

1. profile image0

Guthrie influenced Joe Strummer of the Clash!!! This is great guys!

24. Pr0metheus profile image58
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Beatles

Pink Floyd

Radiohead

Tool

Tiesto

Deadmau5

Britney Spears (Yea, she was influential, as much as her music sucks.

Madonna

Michael Jackson

Garth Brooks

Rage Against the Machine

Deftones

Elvis

2Pac

Tech N9ne

Biggie Smalls

Hell, there's a ton more.  They all have huge influences on music in their own genre (and some create new genres), and contribute to music as a whole.

1. theageofcake profile image59
      theageofcakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good, comprehensive list.  I would add:

N.W.A.

Diana Ross

U2

The Beach Boys

The Velvet Underground

(the latter two had a huge influence on indie rock - I'd say its certainly comparable to the Beatles' effect on mainstream pop)

2. profile image0

RADIOHEAD .. KEWL!  I met Thom Yorke, but that is another story!  Suprised no one has mentioned the Smiths tho!

Uhhh , UnInvited writer did .

2. Sufidreamer profile image80
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Radiohead - Thom Yorke refused to allow The Pixies to open for Radiohead and insisted on playing before them. smile

Has anybody mentioned Bowie, yet? Or Johnny Cash?

1. profile image0

Early Bowie (after he was David Jones - remember ha ha ha he he he... Im a laughing gnome) ziggy stardust etc - inspired 'the new romantic' generation, especially with the fashion and male makeup.  Johnny cash was more a rebel tho.  Much of the style was similar to the day, I wouldnt say he inspired great change in music.. except for the hue and cry over the prison sessions. x
          p.s. kudos to R/head.. didnt know the pixie fact

1. Sufidreamer profile image80

I'm just an old punk - Cash was the first punk...

...unless you count Mozart hmm

Got to say Hawkwind, but that is only because they were the first to have naked Amazonian women dancing on the stage...and they gave Lemmy his break big_smile

1. profile image0

Od to memories of yesteryear, eh?! lol

Not quite - I am too young and missed out on all the good hippy stuff sad

Still, I didn't completely miss out on seeing a bunch of big painted girls prance about on stage. There was always Poison...lol

1. profile image0

I live in Glastonbury, believe me this is a normal occurrance!  What about Can as an influence?  Can were an experimental rock band formed in West Germany in 1968. One of the first "krautrock" groups, they rejected American influences and incorporated strong minimalist and world music elements into their often psychedelic music.
                  Major artists working in the post-punk genre such as The Fall, Public Image Ltd., Siouxsie & the Banshees, Joy Division and other acts like David Bowie, Talking Heads, The Stone Roses and Primal Scream have cited Can as an influence. Brian Eno made a short film in tribute to Can, while John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers appeared at the Echo Awards ceremony, at which Can were awarded the most prestigious music award in Germany,[11] to pay tribute to guitarist Michael Karoli.

Can constructed their music largely through free improvisation and editing, which bassist Holger Czukay referred to as "instant compositions".[1] They had only occasional commercial success, with singles such as "Spoon" and "I Want More" reaching national singles charts. However, through albums such as Tago Mago (1971) and Ege Bamyasi (1972), the band exerted a considerable influence on avant-garde, experimental, underground, ambient, new wave and electronic music.[2

Lucky you - I have only been there twice (beautiful place) and to the festival once, although it was when Bowie and Nine Inch Nails played, so all was well with the world smile

I have heard of Can, but never heard anything by them, so will have to check them out.

You are giving me too much homework, Miss sad

25. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Depeche Mode was a major influence in the 80s, and the Smiths.

I do love the Smiths ! By the way Morrissey collapsed on stage In London yesterday . But It looks like he will be OK though .

I read that on wossy's Twitter yesterday. Glad to hear he is okay; he's my favorite manic depressive big_smile

LOL ! Oh cmon Morrisseys an optimist ! big_smile

2. profile image0

CONGRATULATIONS...I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned the Smiths.  Depeche Mode was influenced by Kraftwerk and  Joy Division, although DM brought this music to the mainstream x

26. profile image0
    Rick Marlowposted 14 years ago

How about Ernest tubbs?

27. profile image0
    Rick Marlowposted 14 years ago

Hey guys,seriously,how about some of the old black rythmn and blues guitarists of the 30`s and 40`s like PINK ANDERSON from which PINK FLOYD took their name?

1. profile image0

Yep babes... I mentioned Paul Robeson! x

2. theageofcake profile image59

I've got one for you, Rick.  Robert Johnson.

Not only was he influential musically - he also added an interesting element to music legend.  He's said to be the first alleged victim of the "27" curse. 

Its often considered a kind a rite of passage for the musically brilliant to die at the age of 27 - Robert Johnson, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, and at least a dozen others, are said to be members of this elite "club." 

But beyond that cheesy bit of supernatural sensationalism, some of Johnson's recordings are absolutely heartbreaking.

1. profile image0

Mark Bolan, I believe.  Nick Drake died in his 27th year! x

Nick Drake was 26.  Bolan was 29.  Close, but no cigar.

1. profile image0

bugger... oh well, it was an average!  I was about to mention R Johnson, but you beat me to it! hehehe x

Eh, its an honest mistake.

Hey, I just realized that John Bonham and Keith Moon both died at 32.  We should refer to them as the 32 dead drummers club, since they were both fiercely gifted and died young. 

2 isn't enough though.  If only we could go back in time and kill Neil Peart and Danny Carey at 32 - that way they would be arbitrarily greater than all other drummers in existence!  Yeah!

1. profile image0

LMFAO Great one, mate!

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, nice to hear his name. I used to listen to him a lot.
        and yes, he did influence so many musicians and music itself.

28. Cheri Schultz profile image59
    Cheri Schultzposted 14 years ago

Bon Jovi

29. profile image0

John William "Trane" Coltrane (September 23, 1926 – July 17, 1967[1]) was an American jazz saxophonist and composer.

Working in the bebop and hard bop idioms early in his career, Coltrane helped pioneer the use of modes in jazz and later was at the forefront of free jazz. He was astonishingly prolific: he made about fifty recordings as a leader during his recording career, and appeared as a sideman on many other albums, notably with trumpeter Miles Davis and pianist Thelonious Monk. As his career progressed, Coltrane's music took on an increasingly spiritual dimension. His second wife was pianist Alice Coltrane, and their son Ravi Coltrane is also a saxophonist.

He influenced innumerable musicians, and remains one of the most significant tenor saxophonists in jazz history. He received many awards, among them a posthumous Special Citation from the Pulitzer Prize Board in 2007 for his "masterful improvisation, supreme musicianship and iconic centrality to the history of jazz."

30. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

The Les Paul trio.

31. profile image0

the Monks are often referenced as forerunners of the later punk movement

At the beginning of 1965, Dave Day and Roger Johnston, on a whim, got their heads shaved into monks' tonsures. The rest of the band followed their lead, and to complete the image, the band took to wearing a uniform - all black, sometimes in cassocks, with nooses worn as neckties. Eddie Shaw later claimed in his band autobiography Black Monk Time that the nooses were symbolic of the metaphorical nooses that all humanity wear. His explanation exhibited a literal translation of gallows humor. The same attitude seems to be exhibited by the blunt lyrics of the band. Of course the brazen attitude toward sensitive subjects was not well met. They received confused audience reactions at concerts: One attendee attempted to strangle Gary Burger at a show in Hamburg, presumably for perceived blasphemy.
    Influence
    Artists to have acknowledged the Monks as an influence include The White Stripes, Henry Rollins, the Beastie Boys and Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys, as well as The Fall. The latter covered both "I Hate You" and "Oh, How to Do Now" on their 1990 album Extricate (under the titles "Black Monk Theme Part I" and "Black Monk Theme Part II", respectively), as well as the song "Shut Up!" on their 1994 album Middle Class Revolt. The Fall have also covered "Higgledy-Piggledy" for the Monks tribute CD Silver Monk Time. The White Stripes named The Monks as one of their key influences, noting that "their melodies were pop destructive

32. Sufidreamer profile image80

Going to check the Monks out - they sound very interesting.

Thanks for the tip smile

33. profile image0

The first has to be... drum roll......

Bach!

Sebastian?!? hmm

34. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 14 years ago

I nominate The beatles, Abba and U2. And for some darn reason I have a yen for Kenny Rogers and The Bee Gees. But that's just me! : ) When I was a kid, I had to endure the Carpenters being played constantly by my grand parents. Now I love em! If it moves me enough, yes, I can come to like that music...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)