Nature Soundtracks

1. jdaviswrites profile image92
    jdaviswritesposted 6 years ago

I was at the beach the other day, just watching the waves and listening to Explosions in the Sky. It was magical. Powerful music like this coupled with raw nature is an experience. Other groups to listen to while walking through the forest persay are Sigur Ros or Album Leaf. Any more suggestions to add to my nature soundtrack?

PS. If you haven't heard any of these groups yet, please do.

1. theageofcake profile image78
      theageofcakeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've always been a big fan of synthetic/electronic music that can evoke natural imagery.  There's something wonderful about applying humanity to our machines (in theory anyway).

That said, I think the Icelandic electronica group Mum provides the kind of ambience you've characterized in bands like Sigur Ros and Album Leaf.  If you haven't heard it, seek out Yesterday Was Dramatic - Today Is Ok.  Its a beautifully heartbreaking and reflective record.

Animal Collective's Sung Tongs is a very primal record, but is much more light and silly record than the material you've described so far.  The Microphones' Glow Part 2 album is somewhat spotty, but has its share of some really magnificent and transportive poetry (if you listen to nothing else, check out the songs "I Want Wind to Blow", "The Glow Part 2", "Headless Horseman", and "My Roots Are Strong and Deep").

I'd love to know what you think of any of this music.  By the way, what is your favorite Explosions in the Sky record?