jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)

How do you feel when black actors are shown gaining upper hand?

1. thirdmillenium profile image70
    thirdmilleniumposted 7 years ago

(If this sounds racially biased,it is not actually meant to be). For instance, Morgan Freeman in Hard Rain over Christian Slater, Denzel Washinton in Crimson Tide over Gene Hackman, Eddy Murphy in all his movies.

1. bukan profile image60
      bukanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Its not a matter of white actor or black actor the splendid quality gets upper band its not a matter of white and black its a nature rule.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image84
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It's something that I have never even considered...

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I know I didn't know about one actor over another getting the part, I think it's great when the right actor gets the part, I don't even think black or white. we're all people.

denzel washington is hard to beat, perfect for crimson tide.

1. 1974 profile image59
        1974posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't think he was talking about the black actor getting the part over a white actor.  He is referring to the black actor gaining the upper hand in the movie over the white actor, for example Denzel taking over the sub from Gene Hackman in Crimson Tide.

Still not sure what the OP is hoping to gain from this thread though.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
          rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

oh, yes, I see. I think he's just wanting to understand peoples thinking. smile

4. dejajolie profile image60
      dejajolieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What?

1. lakeerieartists profile image78
        lakeerieartistsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, what??  Upper hand in any manner, what difference does it make what color the actor is?

2. darkside profile image80
    darksideposted 7 years ago

Does it matter?

I'm sure others will give examples of the opposite.

3. thirdmillenium profile image70

I am the one who started this discussion. Am I glad to read all the reactions. We are beoming one huge human community with no prejudices. The spirit is exhilarating.  Thanks

4. profile image0
    Justine76posted 7 years ago

what do you mean by upper hand? Thier charachter is stronger or something? (I haven't seen any of those movies you mentioned. sorry..)

5. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago

they are the main characters??, it doesnt matter who they are to me, as long as they make me LOL,,

6. 1974 profile image59
    1974posted 7 years ago

The title confused me so I clicked it just to get even more confused by the thread itself.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Its not just me? I dont get it..
      I thought it was going to be something ..else..

7. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 7 years ago

How would you feel if you were, for example, blind, and could only hear their voices, rather than *see* who they are? Would it make any difference to you then?

I also see, thirdmillenium, you posted again and posed this as sort of a "temperature" question. (Getting the temperature of this subject here.) Just wanted to add, welcome to the neighborhood. Looking forward to reading your hubs.
    smile

8. Ivorwen profile image82
    Ivorwenposted 7 years ago

I love 'Men in Black' and 'Independence Day'.  I think is great that Will Smith beat the aliens!  wink

9. thirdmillenium profile image70

I am sorry I posted this. It is out of sync, I see now. Anyway I can withdarw it?
    thanks

1. SoftCornHippo profile image59
      SoftCornHippoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

HA~! YOU are refreshingly spontaneous and so young, I bet! we all want to withdraw things we say and ask on here but I've never seen anyone actually ask to do so - usually they just disappear and leave us knoshing about with it!  so good on ya!cool

10. HILLceo profile image59
    HILLceoposted 7 years ago

I agree. This is a very confusing question and could be interpreted several different ways.

11. Shealy Healy profile image60
    Shealy Healyposted 7 years ago

Shake it...

12. spiritactor profile image59
    spiritactorposted 7 years ago

Not sure of the intent behind this question-- are you writing a screenplay?

At any rate, it depends on the point/message of the story and the integrity/motivation of the character-- not the race, nationality, religion, or physical attributes of the character.

Therefore, I don't feel the question is on a useful target, craft-wise. As mere solicitation for thoughts-- well, here you are.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image85
      Jeffrey Nealposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, we all (or most of us, I assume) want to see good triumph over evil, so race is irrelevant.

working